I am looking to build my first amp, i plan to build from a kit, something very simple for a first try but i have a knowledge of electronics so not something too easy.

I am looking at building something loud enough to play live and be able to get a good fairly over driven sound out of it. i just want to keep it simple in the sense that i just want: 1 input, an on/off switch, volume, gain, terble, mid, and bass, with an output for a cab.

Anything anyone can tell me or point me in a good direction would be amazing, does anyone know of any good UK companies that might have something like this?

Cheers

Will
plexi like amps usually have fairly simple schematics
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
hmm, you asked this very question on ax84 xD, dont give up on them so fast, theyre actually very helpful dudes there. anyway, what exactly is your electronics experience? and what is your budget?

if you are experienced in electronics analyzing and soldering, will study proper grounding and wiring beforehand, and are telling the truth, then Id suggest you build a jcm800 kit. it should be enough to do punk and be louder than you need, and its certainly better sounding than an avt150.

http://www.turretboards.com/guitar_amplifier_parts_marshall_jcm800.html

its expensive, but it looks easy enough. again for any amp build, you have to have knowledge of everything. heres some good sources.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/ (everything on this site especially...)
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.html

and study this entire document:
http://www.ax84.com/static/p1x/p1-ex-theory.pdf

if you stick around ax84, theyll likely help you out alot.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Jan 28, 2014,
If this is your first build, I woud really recomend P1extreme from AX84 forum. This is cost friendly project, and the guys on the forum are really great. They wil help you if you have a problems.

Here you can see how it looks:
http://www.ampspecs.com/myamps.php?myAmp=SEL

(if you can't see pictures open site it with IE)
Last edited by kusar at Jan 29, 2014,
Cheers for the replies! Haha yeah i have posted on ax84, but thought i cant go wrong asking more people, im currently trying to get in contact fromchris there to see if he might still be able to put together one of the old p1 or p1 extreme kits!
Great, I think you won't regret this. It's great sounding amp, you just need good speaker cabinet, volume on max and that is it.
sorry to threadjack, but this did inspire me to slowly begin on an amp. I have the amp from a first act discovery guitar (the onboard one, its off-on, nothing special.) that i would like to beef up. that being said, i would need to re house the amp, and ideally put it on a new board. is that doable, or should i start from scratch?

(mind you, i personally have little experience with electical works, only guitar pickup swaps, and such like that. my mom and stepdad, however, do have experience, so id be having them assist me as to not kill myself)
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
@winghamwill, If I were you, Id do the AX84 Hi-Octane rather than the P1-ex. the P1-ex has sort of a bluesy distortion which may not be enough to do full on Punk Rock as youve mentioned. The Hi-Octane has MUCH more versatility and alot more gain, but it is a bit harder to build though. But not much harder since the main difference between the 2 is an extra gain stage+cathode follower which should be simple enough to wire for someone experienced in soldering components. the Hi-Octane sounds amazing.

@abyss, dont do it...
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Quote by bustapr
@abyss, dont do it...

any reason? Im not expecting great things, all i want is to know i can do it, so in the future i can do more.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
you can definitely mod an solid state amp, but if you dont know jack squat about the components in an amp, what they do, or where the danger is, theres great risk that you might just die. and its definitely not worth to do so on such a bad amp to begin with.

If you ever decide to get into electrical/electronic engineering, then it might be a good project to do on spare time, but its definitely not something to waste time on if you dont knwo even where to start, since that amp is probably on some pcb that is hard to read.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
would you say the same to building one from scratch? like, not to do it without more practice?

Its not that i dont know jack, i understand the basics of components. I guess by "i dont know anything" i mean, i know how to solder, i know what basic components are/do, i just dont understand how it all comes together to be an amp. I have never been shown how to decharge a cap, but plan to watch videos on youtube, then consulting with my mom (who did about 7 or so years worth of electrical assembly), then actually sitting down and trying it.

I guess what im really trying to ask is where do i go to learn about this stuff? is the Ultimate Wiring thread the place? I really am kind of at a loss. ive been googling things, and have been learning about basic circuitry, but as far as guitar related circuits, Im coming up a bit short. I dont mean to be a "look it up for me" person, but if i could get some direction, i'd be less confused then i am, and grateful.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Awesome, im going to go with you there the Hi-octane looks more suited to my playing i think, do you think it will be pretty loud? also do you know if there is anywhere other than AX84 that i can get one of the kits, i cant seem to get a reply from there. but it looks ideal! really excited to get going on it!

will
Hi, my fist build was P1Extreme, but I wanted more gain so I noticed that transformers for p1extreme and SEL are the same, so I converted it into SEL I don't know about Hi-octane how loud it is, but sel is good for band, and for home if you don't have rock-sensitive neighbors
SEL is basically just a 20W version of the Hi Octane. Its the exact same preamp, but with a KT88 poweramp instead of an EL84. theoretically the SEL should be 1.25x louder than the 10W Hi Octane. to get an idea of the loudness a Hi Octane/SEL can have is comparing it to a 100W amp. If you crank a 100W amp to full, it should be 2x louder than Highoctane and around 1.6x louder than an SEL.

edit: though I believe noone should be standing anywhere near a fully cranked 100W head and not many people are going to do that even for a gig. Even a 50W plexi would make jello out of your eardrums. a 20W or even a 10W head should be enough for the common gig.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Last edited by bustapr at Feb 1, 2014,
Quote by winghamwill
Cheers for the replies! Haha yeah i have posted on ax84, but thought i cant go wrong asking more people, im currently trying to get in contact fromchris there to see if he might still be able to put together one of the old p1 or p1 extreme kits!

To quote ax84.com, "We currently have parts for the P1 and Hi-Octane projects."
http://www.ax84.com/kits.html
Why don't you build it from scratch? I is more fun and probably cheaper. Just get BOM and buy parts that you need, and you could also play with different parts (capacitors for example).