Hi Guys/gals. Am new here & posted a problem I am having with my Maton guitar in another area with no replies so thought I'd try here.
I am finding that when I go to tighten the 6th string (new strings being fitted) of my Maton steel string guitar that the little plug pulls backup. I have tried all the pegs & they still pop up. I haven't' tried any other string positions as I need to get the 6th string working anyway.
Everything is in good shape, the guitar is 12 years old & this is the first time the strings are being replaced. Any helpful hints at keeping the little string plug thingy down?

cheers & thanks in advance:-)
that is pretty common, you gotta keep pressure on it while winding the string up to tension. usually after a certain tension it will hold itself in.

the hole could possibly be damaged too, but usually this is not the case. those low E strings tend to want to pull the peg out for some reason.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I got an acoustic recently. The same thing happened to me

Yeah as gumbi says, you need to get the ball end seated properly. If you have a little bendy mirror it'll help you to see for sure that they're seated properly (i got one on amazon with LED lights in it for like £7, it's awesome )

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2206411&postcount=8

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3123658&postcount=3

that should show you how to do it.

As gumbi says, it's not impossible that there's something wrong with your guitar but you'd want to try that first to make sure it's not user error (it was in my case ). Bending the string slightly at the ball end will help you to get the ball end in the right place (though just not inserting the ball end too deeply, as shown in one of those pics in the links i posted, will also help)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys seems to have done the trick thanks to the photos posted here
I bent the ball almost at right angles so it sat against the timber-work (as shown in one of the photos) rather than the bottom of the peg & after a bit of swearing & cursing I finally got the peg on the 6th string to stay down. Big thumbs up guys & again thanks:-)

cheers

CW
Them changes on steel strings are a pain some times. Note that on old guitars you may also have to replace the pegs if there is significant wear; that is if the bottom part of the peg looks slimmer than normal.
Quote by capt wally
Thanks guys seems to have done the trick thanks to the photos posted here
I bent the ball almost at right angles so it sat against the timber-work (as shown in one of the photos) rather than the bottom of the peg & after a bit of swearing & cursing I finally got the peg on the 6th string to stay down. Big thumbs up guys & again thanks:-)

cheers

CW

No problem Yeah the pics were what made the difference for me too, someone linked me to them on another forum
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?