http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqECe4nA7wA

I can't get my head around on how I should pick this riff. I use economy picking for everything but this is just so...hard isn't even the word I'd use, I just have no idea how to pick this.

@1:12

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------4-5-7-5-4---------
-------------------------------------------------------2-4-5---------5-4-2----
---7---7---7---7---5---5---5---5---2---2---4---4--2-4-5-------------------5-4-
-33--33--55--55--22--22--33--33--00--00--22--22-------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no problem with that passage at the end of the riff, easy enough:

Its just the notes on the D strings always get caught up with the notes from the A string (C's, D's, B's etc).. and it sounds sloppy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to add that those two 2 notes on teh A string are palm muted.
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
sounds like you need to work on your muting not picking if the notes are getting mushed together.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Without having a guitar next to me to try it I would say up down down up down down. Then switch to alternate once you get done with that repeating pattern. It's really just whatever works best for you though.
I thought that part needs a 55 frets guitar to play...
Alternate picking is the way to go. You eventually need alternate picking mix with economy picking anyway.
I always pratice this "3 note grouping with 2 strings" stuff with that "012 013 014 013 0122" riff on Master of Puppets.
Do you feel like I do!?