Page 1 of 2
Im 18 year old boy. Im a child of parents who divorced in pretty bad terms. It happened 4 years ago and i didnt care much about it. Till I learned that my mother left us because our economical conditions worsened. So I had pretty bad time with my mother which i barely see anymore, usually i visit once a month to get money (thats what she would do).

2 years ago right around this time, I watched a friend of mine, who I knew since I was a kid, die. She broke her neck at a skiing training. (i used to be in national team) I couldnt get over it for months. Couldnt sleep, couldnt do anything. Stopped skiing.

As I was getting over it, our economical condition worsened. My dad couldnt pay for my school. Had to drop out for a year, doing nothing. Depressed. I had skin conditions because of depression. Later had a huge manic episode and got hospitalized for a week. Diagnosed with bipolar.

I have been a smart guy. Over 145 iq confirmed by pdoc. Ive been a science geek yet I hated it because my brain hated how people acted irrational and shitty most the time. I hated myself. Had rushing thoughts for 3 months. Had bad intentions etc

Then while I was watching a friend playing to his bass he saw how I admired him. He could play bass, electric, drums, saxophone, piano.. all self tought. So he told me that I could get his old ibanez prestige. I used to play some guitar but i stopped it to play sports. It was like a bright light in my head. It did make sense after 2 years of struggle. I could actually try to play it.

Im currently 6 month into my journey. Im playing for 4 hours everyday. I study at the rest of my time. I sleep well. Wake up early and I put daily goals to achive at guitar. To play that one riff, get that soft tone or do that amazing slide... It feels happy.
Join the club. I'm glad it helped out man.

Just remember to keep your head up and keep on jamming.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Just wait until you get really good at the guitar and start to understand music. Then you can start to learn different instruments, jam with other people (would totally help me feel better about myself personally). You can learn to write songs yourself, then you could learn how to record yourself and others if that interests you. All in due time with lots of practice of course! So many opportunities that music can bring about for you

Its a very healthy hobby, mentally and physically. No matter what anyone says.
(signature removed, please choose another)
I'm depressed, have anxiety, and am just generally stressed. Playing my bass does help quite a bit sometimes, it sucks that I loose all motivation to play when I feel down though

Im glad to hear its helping you TS, hang in there
music's one of the few reasons i haven't killed myself tbh. sad/frustrated/angry, no matter what it is that i'm blowing out of proportion i can grab some tunes and float out of it for awhile; cease to exist.
Last edited by Dregen at Jan 28, 2014,
Nice blog bro.

But seriously, good for you. Music has been such a pivotal thing on my life that I'd wouldn't be around if it wasn't.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2014,
I have to second the TS here. Without music, I more than likely wouldn't be here at all. Especially when I started learning the theory of things because I felt that I could actually understand something for once.

Keep your head held high, and just keep jamming!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Keep going OP, never give up and push through these hard times. Stay motivated and I'm sure happy times will follow!
Guitar saved my life in high school, I got into awesome music, and it helped cancel out a lot of the negativity in my life. Gave me something to strive for and I met a lot of cool people.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Dear diary,

Today OP was a pretty cool guy.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Glad you found something to fall on, man.

██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
That's cool man, weirdly I went the other way and dropped guitar for sports. Tackling people is way more therapeutic for me.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Awesome TS! Keep at it, it only gets better. I lost my Dad at 21, he'd given me a guitar 6 months previously (from a hospital bed when he couldn't walk... still don't know how he pulled that off). I played a lot before, but that guitar is what pulled me through. I can't ration how I would have made it through without my guitar. It only gets better as you get better so keep jamming!
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
get off this site now it's a distraction WHAT ARE YOU DOING.

Please, trust me. This site f*cks you hard

But honestly, I was the same way. Improvisation is the way to go, and f*ck scales and tabs, use your ears!
You are your own music teacher.
I was 14 years old when my time almost came. I was passed out in a burning building. The smoke had filed my lungs and fire began to flit at my unconscious body. A guitar pulled me from the fiery wreckage, but unfortunately lost its life that day. From now on, I only play flame maple top guitars to preserve the memory of that heroic act. Guitar saved my life.
No way in hell am I reading all that

Read it and I feel bad now.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I was going to make fun of you, but I read it and it wasn't as lame as I was expecting.

Neat. It's good you have something to care about.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Thats cool and im very happy for you. BUT! Comeon now! Why do you get an Ibanez Prestige as you first guitar. I am officially jealous.
Quote by DreamGate
Thats cool and im very happy for you. BUT! Comeon now! Why do you get an Ibanez Prestige as you first guitar. I am officially jealous.

My first guitar was a Martin.

Jam on dude. Good for you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
if guitar makes you feel good, wait till you upgrade to a macbook pro

Quote by MinterMan22
if guitar makes you feel good, wait till you upgrade to a macbook pro

This guy listens to R2D2 don't pay attention to him
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Well I'm glad to hear you have something to help you. Sorry about your parents' divorce, and especially having to lose a friend and to see it happen first hand.

But what are "rushing thoughts"?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
That's a really horrible but touching story... Don't give up dude!
Originally posted by suckmybassriffs
To become the great tabber, you must first... BECOME A TAB!

Originally posted by Svelle
dude your like the tabbing-master... seriously!
Quote by ozzyismetal
Dear diary,

So many people claim to be "not here"
I think 90% of people saying that don't have the guts to kill themselfs. the other 10% might have something else then theirselfs killing them.
It's way too easy to say "I wouldn't have been here today if it wasn't for...*insert insignificant thing here*"

My mom died of cancer when I was 14. After 4 years of feeling shit about myself, got my High school diploma and my dad bought a guitar for me, I didn't really do much with it at the time. I got over my depression for a while. closed a chapter in my life.
But when my dad started having debts and we couldn't (still can't) afford anything.
I started feeling depressed again and eating a lot (so also became a fatty).
I found 2 things that made me happy again: Music and games.
But without these 2 things I'd still be around today.
These kind of awful things are part of life, and the reason why it makes you stronger as a person, opposed to someone who had everything in life.

That being said, It's a hobby's job to take your mind off the bad things and make you feel good. so it's not really a suprise this happened. good for you TS
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Wow I wasnt expecting this many replies. Thanks alot for taking your time and reading it.

Ive forget to mention that during this time, especially after starting to play my point of view about both music and other arts changed. As I mentioned I was more of a science geek, I still enjoy it but I care less about it because I dont think that science in any way is necesarry to be happy. Whereas music or arts can directly make you feel happy, or even better you can express yourself. I couldnt see that before.

Jahellraiser, rushing thought is a condition where you get series of bad ideas. Chain of though more simply. One thought leads to another and randomly, it can start from a simple thing like an apple and you can find yourself thinking about your childhood, fears, experiences, philosophy, a sound you heard, that math problem you couldnt solve, africa, book that is not exactly aligned at bookshelf. Yeah just random things. prevents you from sleeping ans you lose the reality. After it ends you probably dont remember what you have been thinking about. Even if you do, you dont understand why.. its not dangerous most of the time but in addition to mania or depression can lead into doing or thinking bad things.

Dreamgate, I cant say that MY first guitar is an ibanez prestige. Its given to me. I love her and I thank to my friend everyday for it but still I cant wait till the day comes for me to try some strats and pick my own guitar at a shop. In fact I do get quited bonded with things like that, i remember sleeping with my first tennis racket for a week. I was 8
Quote by arcanom
In fact I do get quited bonded with things like that, i remember sleeping with my first tennis racket for a week. I was 8

That sounds really painful to be honest.
Quote by triface
It's also a kinda expensive hobby...

Glad that it helped you though.

Figured that out. Yet im lucky because my friend is studying at canada (im from turkey) and he leaves all his guitar accesoirs at his home. He just gets his bass and steve vai guitar with him. I guess ill borrow his pedals next time he comes back home
Quote by arcanom
Figured that out. Yet im lucky because my friend is studying at canada (im from turkey) and he leaves all his guitar accesoirs at his home. He just gets his bass and steve vai guitar with him. I guess ill borrow his pedals next time he comes back home

I don't even have that many friends that play guitar, much less study overseas and leave their guitar stuff with me.

Who are your friends, and how may I get to know them?
Quote by triface
I don't even have that many friends that play guitar, much less study overseas and leave their guitar stuff with me.

Who are your friends, and how may I get to know them?

Ahhahahah pure luck he is my only friend who plays instruments also. Guess im lucky
Quote by ozzyismetal
Dear diary,

This
last.fm[/url}
Great story, mang. Cheers to your life getting better.

EDIT: Wait a second. I'm not sure I've ever seen the Pit so positive and whatever the opposite of cynical is. What's going on?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 29, 2014,
Page 1 of 2