I run an Epi Les Paul into an old Fender Twin. I play a lot of stuff, mostly 90s Alt Rock/Grunge but sometimes Sludge and Stoner rock. I've got a Big Muff for the heavy stuff but I'm looking for a crunchy middle of the road distortion. Something that won't go as far as a Muff but does a little more than say a Tubescreamer. If it also sounded good boosting the muff that would be a plus.

I used to have a Whiteface Proco Rat that did this really well but I sold it, which was a mistake to say the least. Don't have the money to get a good one anymore, and I really don't like the new chinese made rats. I'm trying not to spend more than 60-70 bucks, but if I had to I could stretch it out to maybe a hundred.

Any suggestions?
if you are a DIY guy you can build a kit yourself for ~60 bucks.

i was going to recommend an MXR distortion+ or a rat.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c969--Distortion_Overdrive_Pedals/low2high

maybe a soulfood for boosting your amp. the rat on there is only like 65 bucks.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 28, 2014,
The rat would work well.

My favorite way to do that as of late is to stack a Danelectro Cool Cat OD and a Bad Monkey. And i dont like stacked pedals usually, but these seem to work well together.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I love the a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, but they're $150, new.

However, Guitar Center has 3 used ones in their system right now, for $80 apiece.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used-Gear.gc?src=Jekyll+And+Hyde&ipp=25&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=jekyll+and+hyde&acukd=Jekyl
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've tried building my own pedals before, the only one I could get to work was the Confidence Booster. Anything more complicated messed me up.

I'd considered either the MXR Distortion + or even the Distortion III, although I heard the new MXR Distortion + isn't very good.

edit: I've also considered a Boss SD-1, mostly because I see them going for about $30-$40 used.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Jan 28, 2014,