I have 2 guitars, one set up for standard tuning which i use down to drop C#, and the other I use for way bottom stuff, but it sounds really bad that low, so I was going to switch them or get another guitar for low end. (Both of Mine have fender style Bridges, no locking parts) Ive been watching videos on setting these up with a floyd rose and that got me wondering, Can I set up my guitar for Drop C and still go down to drop B flat? (Lowest I would go) I figured the same principals apply as with lighter strings, but that's why i'm on here, because I dont know. I would play mainly Breaking Benjamin, August Burns Red, SlipKnot, and Bullet For my Valentine type songs. I plan on using a set of either 10-52 or 12-54 d'addarios. And any advice as to the actual set up would be great like videos or pictures, anything helps.
Last edited by jayhawk22 at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by jayhawk22
I have 2 guitars, one set up for standard tuning which i use down to drop C#, and the other I use for way bottom stuff, but it sounds really bad that low, so I was going to switch them or get another guitar for low end. (Both of Mine have fender style Bridges, no locking parts) Ive been watching videos on setting these up with a floyd rose and that got me wondering, Can I set up my guitar for Drop C and still go down to drop B flat? (Lowest I would go) I figured the same principals apply as with lighter strings, but that's why i'm on here, because I dont know. I would play mainly Breaking Benjamin, August Burns Red, SlipKnot, and Bullet For my Valentine type songs. I plan on using a set of either 10-52 or 12-54 d'addarios. And any advice as to the actual set up would be great like videos or pictures, anything helps.

I use 11-54 and go from standard to drop A without issues. 12-54 should be fine for A#
So you have a standard tremolo and not a floating bridge then? If so then yes you should be fine, imo if the strings are heavy gauge your safe within a whole tone (Drop C to Drop A# for example) without noticing the off intonation. Personally it bothers me changing tunings and not resetting the intonation so i just keep my UV777 (blocked tremolo) in drop A#/C Standard, or i tune the g string to a G# and play E standard songs a half step up.
I have 11-54's and have done A# before but I mostly only like going as low as Drop B on my 6 string but they can definitely handle A# (just might have a problem with keeping in tune for the first time and need to re-tune a bit but once it's set you're golden). Other then that possibly look at a 7-string with some 10-59's (10-13-17-26-36-46-59) and tune it to:

D#
A#
F#
C#
G#
D#
A#

Obviously not everyone can afford a new guitar on the spot so getting the 11-54's would be a good bet first.

If they're new, when you put them on stretch them first as you put them on, tune to E standard, play a song, Drop D then play, Drop C# then play, Drop C then play, Drop B then play then finally Drop A#. This will help them stretch a bit faster and gradually dropping them has a better chance of keeping them in tune (If I go straight from Drop D to Drop B it loses tune the first song but Drop C to Drop B it doesn't).

Hope this helped
I would not be able to play a guitar with .12/.54s in drop-A tuning. I use .13-.59s for C# Standard/drop-B, which is 1/2 step HIGHER. Sometimes even that isn't enough tension...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I just recently got involved in a metalcore project and I'm playing in the lowest tuning I ever have... A-E-A-D-F#-B , and I'm playing on a les paul copy (so 24.75" scale). I went through a few packs of different strings trying to find one's that I liked, when it occurred to me that I should just get a 7-string set and ditch the smallest string. Which is just what I did and it has worked great.

So right now I'm using Dunlops' Heavy Core 7-string set, and ditching the smallest string. Which also means that I'm playing with four wound strings, which works best for this tuning IMO. The gauge of the strings goes 13, 17, 28, 38, 48, 60. That 60 gauge is the smallest I would go when tuning down to A, anything less is too sloppy.

I originally was trying this setup on an Ibanez with a 25.5 inch scale, the idea being that I could get away with thinner strings, but I couldn't get the sound I wanted out of it without going to really thick strings (which defeated the original purpose). Just not enough bass, so it's back to a heavy solid LP clone for that low chugging bass. Anyway hope this helps

P.S. stay away from Ernie Ball's "Not even slinky" string set. I don't like Ernie Ball strings anyway, but that 24 plated string is just hideous.
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by KailM
I would not be able to play a guitar with .12/.54s in drop-A tuning. I use .13-.59s for C# Standard/drop-B, which is 1/2 step HIGHER. Sometimes even that isn't enough tension...

+1

I play with 13-58 on c standard. 12-54 for drop a would not only be loose and quite off tonally, but the tuning stability would just be meh.
ayy lmao
12-54 was for D standard tuning or D#. If u want A# u need set of 13-66/64 Dont use guitar for two randoms tuninigs. Set two guitars for one tuning. I personaly have 68. set with soemthing for A/A# standard