Ive been having some issues for a while in getting hold of a complete plan of a Gibson LP that is accurate for my first build. I know about the guy on the Tele forum who built a exact replica of a 59 burst but he wont part with a copy of the plans. Im wondering if Epiphone uses the exact same shape as Gibson, because if they do I would be keen on buying an Epi standard, stripping it and debonding the neck to use that body as a template on a copy-carver. Anyone know of any differences that would catch me out?? I intend to make 2 guitars to start out, one from pine as a starter, and then the second out of Mahogany with a Camphor Laurel cap.
They have full size plans here www.byoguitar.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The question I asked wasn't 'can you please google some plans for me because I am too Lazy to be bothered'. Incidentally the Catto plans are notoriously wrong but anyway... The question was can an epiphone LP body minus the neck be used to accurately depict a Gibson when used as a template on a copy carver/panto router...
I have a 3 sets of plans, but I'd like to do it with the carver instead.
Thanks for that Link Robbgnarly, that will come in handy down the track on another build.
I dont mean to come across all pissy and shit but its a common theme on this site that answers to question asked are usually only relevant 10 to 20% of the time... If the posts weren't so damn funny Id have dropped this page off the favourites list years ago.
Quote by dazza027
The question I asked wasn't 'can you please google some plans for me because I am too Lazy to be bothered'. Incidentally the Catto plans are notoriously wrong but anyway... The question was can an epiphone LP body minus the neck be used to accurately depict a Gibson when used as a template on a copy carver/panto router...
Thanks for that Link Robbgnarly, that will come in handy down the track on another build.
I dont mean to come across all pissy and shit but its a common theme on this site that answers to question asked are usually only relevant 10 to 20% of the time... If the posts weren't so damn funny Id have dropped this page off the favourites list years ago.

Well said.
Quote by dazza027
I'm afriad it's also a theme in this particular forum that people turn up and ask questions that have been asked time and time again and are often answered in the "stickies" at the top of the forum, showing very little sign of having tried to find the answer themsleves.

I'm sorry my decision to run with the "Ive been having some issues for a while in getting hold of a complete plan of a Gibson LP..." part of your question put your back up, but I'm glad you found Rob's particular link to a plan helpful.

I don't have any specific knowledge about how identical Epiphone and Gibson bodies are but given that the Les Paul shape has so many variants, even within Gibson itself, I would have to say it depends what you're comparing. I see from your signature you have two Gibson LPs and and Epiphone LP of your own. Does that not help you in assessing how similar they are? Again, all different models, so maybe not. Similarly, I don't mean to come across "all pissy and shit", I genuinely don't know which is why I left that part of your query alone.

Hopefully someone else around here will be able to give you the help you're looking for.
no the carve on an epiphone LP is nothing like a gibson ...... the tokai's (including the chinese ones) are pretty damn close
Thanks sytharnia1560, that's pretty much all I needed to know. Von Lazy, the Epi and the Gibson are similar, the main thing I wanted to know was the carve of the top.