Hi! I'm looking for a new amp (15W tube or high end solid state), I'm looking at spending around $1000 (AU) on the amp (similar to AC15 pricing). Essentially I'm going to be swapping between clean and distortion depending on what I play.

The style of music I play is Metalcore rhythm guitar and looking at 7-string guitars currently and need an amp to go with it. The clean sounds are fairly important as I'm looking at using pedals to get my distortion.

Which brings me to the 2nd half of the question: Pedals.

I currently have the Metal Zone which is fine as a practice pedal... My 15W 8" solid state Peavey Rage 158 is also good as a practice amp, doesn't mean I want to use it live. I'm looking for something with a really heavy and solid distortion. Price here isn't really that big of an issue as if it can do the tone I want, I'll throw my money at it.

Current guitar is a Schecter Omen 6 with a Seymour Duncan Invader on the bridge and I'm looking at getting the Omen Extreme 7 and getting an Invader 7 for the bridge. Going for the extreme for the Mahogony body to get the richer sound.

Any suggestions on the amp/pedal?
http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Peavey-6505%252b-1x12-Combo.html

Grab one of those, grab a tube screamer and a decimator. Metal tone for days. Won't need pedals beyond the TS as a boost and a decimator to kill some hum.
Last edited by telemetal at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by telemetal
http://www.proaudio.com.au/shoppingcart/products/Peavey-6505%252b-1x12-Combo.html

Grab one of those, grab a tube screamer and a decimator. Metal tone for days. Won't need pedals beyond the TS as a boost and a decimator to kill some hum.

Reason I was looking at a few pedals is to swap between clean and distortion which using the TS as a boost won't do, however of course if the different channels provide a good clean and distorted sound then a footswitch should cover this.

I'm looking at the Decimator pedal now and using a distortion pedal as a boost this will definitely be a must.
The amp has more than one channel so you're covered for clean...

Really the 6505 has proven itself over and over again for being an amazing metal amp.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
The amp has more than one channel so you're covered for clean...

Really the 6505 has proven itself over and over again for being an amazing metal amp.

Would you recommend the TS for the boost for this amp? I want to make sure I'm getting the BEST possible sound if I'm going above and beyond $1000.

Will this also be good for gigs (small area holding around 100-200 people)?

There is a local club that puts on gigs for metal/metalcore bands which is what I'm starting with a friend (bassist).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by clarkfjc
Would you recommend the TS for the boost for this amp? I want to make sure I'm getting the BEST possible sound if I'm going above and beyond $1000.

Will this also be good for gigs (small area holding around 100-200 people)?

There is a local club that puts on gigs for metal/metalcore bands which is what I'm starting with a friend (bassist).

The way I'd use it personally is clean with a chorus or whatever, screamer on the clean channel for a crunchy rhythm tone, straight lead channel with gate for heavier rhythm tones and screamer + lead channel for solos/choruses etc

It's plenty loud. It'll blow your head off if you're used to your practice amp. Definitely loud enough for most gigs.

You'll be set with this amp man, seriously
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I think something like a Peavey 3120/XXX/JSX/Ultra would be your best bet.
Better cleans than the 6505 with quite a good high gain tone, especially with a tubescreamer out front. They can be picked up cheap secondhand easily. Pair one of them with a good cab and you'd be set.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Some distortion pedals to consider:

My biggest thing here is I am a rhythm guitarist and all of these show a lot of soloing, which is usually fine but doesn't demonstrate if I'll get the sound I need for a clear but really deep distortion on the lowest 3 strings.

Quote by N_J_B_B
The way I'd use it personally is clean with a chorus or whatever, screamer on the clean channel for a crunchy rhythm tone, straight lead channel with gate for heavier rhythm tones and screamer + lead channel for solos/choruses etc

Awesome I'll see if there are any local shops with it in stock to try it out. I'll definitely use lead for my rhythm, I'm currently using a 6 string in drop C and B and moving to a 7-string to use in Drop A soon as a rhythm guitarist so I want a really deep and heavy tone.

Quote by N_J_B_B
It's plenty loud. It'll blow your head off if you're used to your practice amp. Definitely loud enough for most gigs.

You'll be set with this amp man, seriously

That's awesome too, I mean worst case scenario I can mic it anyway.
Quote by clarkfjc
My biggest thing here is I am a rhythm guitarist and all of these show a lot of soloing, which is usually fine but doesn't demonstrate if I'll get the sound I need for a clear but really deep distortion on the lowest 3 strings.

I consider myself a rhythm guitarist as well. Of the ones I provided links to, I own the Jekyll & Hyde and the Famulus.

So far, satisfied with both. Each is tonally flexible and built like a tank.

However, I'm not playing what you are. I split my playing time 50/50 between standard tuning and New Standard Tuning.* I enjoy playing in a wide variety of genres, including metal but not metalcore, and not with a 7-string.

* NST is CGDAEG
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I consider myself a rhythm guitarist as well. Of the ones I provided links to, I own the Jekyll & Hyde and the Famulus.

So far, satisfied with both. Each is tonally flexible and built like a tank.

However, I'm not playing what you are. I split my playing time 50/50 between standard tuning and New Standard Tuning.* I enjoy playing in a wide variety of genres, including metal but not metalcore, and not with a 7-string.

Fair enough, I'll re-check them to check the sounds out again but I don't think they're the kind of sound I'm after. Thank for the input though, I really do appreciate it. This amp looks like the way to go, however.
Quote by clarkfjc
Fair enough, I'll re-check them to check the sounds out again but I don't think they're the kind of sound I'm after. Thank for the input though, I really do appreciate it. This amp looks like the way to go, however.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 6505. It might be the generic amp for this situation, but I'm still yet to find an amp that, at a similar price, does balls to the wall heavy tones that well.
I'd say go head+cab , while still going for the 6505 (look for them used, it'll be much cheaper). This is partially because the speaker in the combo is shit, and partially because people seem to have better opinions of the head. For ODs, you could try a Digitech Bad Monkey, they're good cheap alternatives to a TS. Oh and you'll most likely want to get a noise suppressor, a Boss NS-2 should do the trick.
Quote by ambler3
I'd say go head+cab , while still going for the 6505 (look for them used, it'll be much cheaper). This is partially because the speaker in the combo is shit, and partially because people seem to have better opinions of the head. For ODs, you could try a Digitech Bad Monkey, they're good cheap alternatives to a TS. Oh and you'll most likely want to get a noise suppressor, a Boss NS-2 should do the trick.

I might be missing something but all of the 6505's I'm finding are the 120W which are all around $1500+ which is quite a bit out of the price range. If anyone has a link for the 60W I'd happily look at cabs to go with it.

And as for it being the generic amp for the situation well I want something that has an amazing tone and I can gig with so if it does that, who cares how "generic" it is
Last edited by clarkfjc at Jan 29, 2014,
The link I posted in my first post should be a link to the 60w combo. Don't think you'll find a head for cheap here in Australia, shitty market that we have.
Quote by telemetal
The link I posted in my first post should be a link to the 60w combo. Don't think you'll find a head for cheap here in Australia, shitty market that we have.

The combo has external speaker output and it + cab would be cheaper then the 120W on it's own (well at your link, everywhere else is $1000+ :S), I might go that route if the sound quality is really low but from what I've seen in videos it's fine. Any specific speaker cab recommendations (again, don't want anything massive, I don't have a van for going between gigs :P)
What would a 60w combo be? I have one myself, and it's great (Very soon should be finished converting it into a head and cabinet because I found it too cumbersome), but I found it really opened up once I used it with an extension cab with V30s in it.
6505 w/ V30's is again, the generic answer. If you can get a Harley Benton cab (1x12 or 2x12) from Thomann in Europe that'd be my suggestion.
Quote by ambler3
What would a 60w combo be? I have one myself, and it's great (Very soon should be finished converting it into a head and cabinet because I found it too cumbersome), but I found it really opened up once I used it with an extension cab with V30s in it.

I know the combo is a speaker and amp in 1 box, I just wouldn't have the foggiest on separating them :P
Quote by telemetal
6505 w/ V30's is again, the generic answer. If you can get a Harley Benton cab (1x12 or 2x12) from Thomann in Europe that'd be my suggestion.

Might be a bit go get them from EU but I'll look them up, they sound awesome in the vids I saw
Quote by telemetal

Might be a bit go get them from EU but I'll look them up, they sound awesome in the vids I saw.
I got the 2x12 a few years ago. Incredibly easy to deal with and came in perfect nick. The shipping can be a bitch, but it's probably the best value for money you'll find. Unless you can find a used cab on Gumtree or Melband.
Right, I'll check them out. I should be able to play with the amp at my local billy hyde on saturday if they have it in stock.
I bought an Orange 1x12 with V30s for $200 odd last year and it's amazing. Definitely look at Gumtree man.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
While it's been said, get a 6505 2x12 combo. They are hands down the best 'metal' combo outside of boutique 3-5 grand combo's. They realy have a deep modern *core tone right out the box.

As for a pedal, the Maxon 808 or 9 are really, really good. Their a little on the pricey side but they are well worth it. A cheaper option would be a Digitech Bad Monkey, still sounds pretty good considering its cheap as hell.

The other option is as others have said is to order through thomann. They sell very cheap Engl's compared to what we pay for them here, some are around half price.
Quote by clarkfjc
I know the combo is a speaker and amp in 1 box, I just wouldn't have the foggiest on separating them :P

Wouldn't say it's the most easy thing, but in the end it's only a bit of woodwork really. Just a little time consuming if i'm honest.
It can be a bit expensive too, i've spent £100 on mine, £50 going on a new speaker and £30 just on tolex to re-cover it.
I'm looking at the 6505+ 1x12 and also getting a V30 12" 16Ohm and replacing the speaker that comes with it to have an amp combo that has amazing sound compared to the stock and still sub $1000
Quote by clarkfjc

What matters is YOU getting YOUR sound nailed down!

what are your budgets for the pedals or pedals? so many....

for amp? solid state as a pedal platform? i would be looking at this heavily.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/aviator-amplifiers/aviator-powerplant-deluxe

these quilters seem to be nice. 550 usd. 9 pounds. nine. 9 pounds. holy cow. supposed to be great with pedals.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
what are your budgets for the pedals or pedals? so many....

for amp? solid state as a pedal platform? i would be looking at this heavily.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/aviator-amplifiers/aviator-powerplant-deluxe

these quilters seem to be nice. 550 usd. 9 pounds. nine. 9 pounds. holy cow. supposed to be great with pedals.

Pedals are a never ending cycle for effects and such. For now I just want to get the sound down, stuff like digital delays etc can come later. It looks like using a TS with a medium tone, high level and low gain could really put the power in to the lead channel and using the decimator to cut the hum that comes with using a distortion pedal on a distortion channel.
I went to my local guitar store and tried out the 6505+ 1x12 and I LOVED it. They then gave me the chance to try it with the TS808 and besides the noise (they didn't have an NS2 or decimator in stock to try for the hum but what can ya do). Other people are suggesting the Maxon 808 aswell, thoughts on this pedal?
The OD808 is generally considered to be a better Tube Screamer. Never really heard of anyone not liking them
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
The OD808 is generally considered to be a better Tube Screamer. Never really heard of anyone not liking them

I'm going to look more in to videos with the OD808 but I loved the sound of the TS808 so if it provides a better more wholesome tone than the TS808 it'll be the way to go. Has anyone used a similar setup (OD or TS to boost a lead channel) and can way in on NS-2 vs Decimator?

The other thing is is there anyway I can hit both the footswitch to change to rhythm channel and the OD808 switch at the same time for cleans?
Last edited by clarkfjc at Feb 1, 2014,