Hey there,

I had the chance to play on a Blackstar HT-5R a couple of days ago. This little beast is pretty good! I like to play metal but don't like the full hi-gain sound. I prefer some warm and rich distortion. Despite having only 5W the 5R is pretty loud and even sounds great at very low volume.

I just saw the 5TH (Limited Edition) on Thomann and I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there any other difference besides 2x10" (5TH) and 1x12" (5R)?
2. What differences can I expect soundwise? Is the 5TH louder but lacks a bit of bass? Unfortunately, I don't have the chance to play/hear a 5TH.
3. Which one is better for playing at low volume (practicing at home / apartment) or isn't there a difference at all?

Thanks in advance!
Henning
Id get something else rather than the HT5..
but go for the 1x12
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
> warm and rich distortion

> Blackstar

1x12 >>> 2x10. It's not a bass amp. 12" speakers project guitar tone the way we expect to and are used to hearing it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Up for everything that was said.
Apart from the "it's not a bass amp", I wouldn't use anything smaller than 12", better if 15" or 18" for a bass.

Yeah, really, can't you get something different from an HT5?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'm mostly a lurker around these parts but I don't understand the knock on Blackstar. Of course there are probably better amps but for the money I love my HT-5R and play on it every day. I have also acquired quite a bit of gear of the years (and some of it sucks, lol), but I love the tone I get out of my Blackstar. I think the OP has at least done the best thing by actually playing on one and not coming to the forums and asking for opinions on amps he hasn't tried.
I like the Blackstars plenty well, but I think they're a bit pricy for what they are. Get the 1x12 though, it'll sound much fuller
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Since I do frequent a few forums I may be mistaken about my previous statement around this site. But I've seen plenty of folks say to stay away from Blackstar. My only advice to anyone is to take your guitar to your local store (I know that may not be possible for everyone) and plug in and give the amps in your price range a try. The great thing going right now is there are many great deals on Craigslist. I'm actually going to buy two guitars Friday that I don't even need but the price is too good to pass up. Good luck to the OP on finding an amp to your liking!!
Quote by rattledeth
I'm mostly a lurker around these parts but I don't understand the knock on Blackstar. Of course there are probably better amps but for the money I love my HT-5R and play on it every day. I have also acquired quite a bit of gear of the years (and some of it sucks, lol), but I love the tone I get out of my Blackstar. I think the OP has at least done the best thing by actually playing on one and not coming to the forums and asking for opinions on amps he hasn't tried.

I have played multiple Blackstar HTs and heard dozens more, and I have never heard one that sounded good. I find it hard to even describe them, other than they have a complete lack of harmonic content. They sound flat as hell. Completely besides the fact that I hate the company because they are blatant false advertisers, they don't even sound good. There is no justification for them at all.

I cannot understand how or why so many people (usually beginners though, hm...) think they sound great. Past being inflammatory and negative, at this point I honestly want to know what about them people think sounds good. I've passed the threshold of honest curiosity.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I had a HT5 since they first came out, sold it last year. I did like the sound out of it but its only a rock amp at best.
You wanna play metal of any kind then its not gonna end well at all tbh..

Warm rich distortion id say maybe a JCA or Marshall?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals