Well i was just wondering if it was safe to use a guitar through a bass head. Better yet is it safe to use bass cabs on a guitar?
Yes, guitar with a bass amp or bass cab is safe. Bass with a guitar cab is not considered safe.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I did, and it works.
It's pretty clean and bassy and stuff.

Bass with guitar cab should be fine if you pay attention to the power ratings.
Bass heads usually have a lot more power than guitar's, and guitar cabs' speakers usually don't handle that much power.

I don't see any problem in either plugging a bass into a guitar head or plugging a bass head in a guitar cab if you're careful with the power.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I did, and it works.
It's pretty clean and bassy and stuff.

Bass with guitar cab should be fine if you pay attention to the power ratings.
Bass heads usually have a lot more power than guitar's, and guitar cabs' speakers usually don't handle that much power.

I don't see any problem in either plugging a bass into a guitar head or plugging a bass head in a guitar cab if you're careful with the power.

This has been debated here a hundred times, but there are some who believe a bass could cause extreme excursion in guitar speakers possibly causing damage. Then people come back and ask why an octaver is OK with a guitar cab and it goes back and forth ad infinitum. I'd just not risk it, unless you really have to.

There is no conceivable issue with plugging a bass into a guitar amp, or a guitar into a bass amp. The issue, if there even is one, is the speakers not the amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Depends on the amp, obviously...

Most bass amps nowadays are solid state, tend to have a lot of headroom and stay relatively clean. They were also designed with bass in mind and have a lower high frequency cutoff. Your guitar tone won't necissarily cut through the mix as well in a band situation.

Then, if you're using a head/cab combination as opposed to a combo amp, you need to worry about power handling and speaker type. While using a bass head through a guitar cab, while playing guitar, it SHOULD be okay since you aren't pummeling the guitar speaker with bass frequencies. However, I would still use a bass cab just to be safe.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Only two things matter.

1) can the speakers handle the power of the amp?
2) does it sound good?

If yes to both, go for it. Many amazing amps including the Ampeg V4, Sunn Model T (or any Sunn really), and Fender Bassman are equally well-suited to guitar and bass.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
stick a nice dirt pedal in between the guitar and the bass head.
One of my fave sounds that is.
drop the bass on the amp and up the treble a bit too.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Technically, my primary gigging amp is a bass amp, or at least, it was listed as a bass amp in musicman's catalogue. I like to think of it as being like a blackface bassman head with a solid state preamp. I even used a matching 1x15 bass cab with it for a while. Sounded wonderful - but it was a bit too bulky to transport like that.

It does depend on the amp though - some bass amps, especially more modern ones, will sound very cold and sterile if you plug a guitar into them.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
People have been doing this for decades. I saw Sleep a few weeks ago and I’m pretty sure Matt Pike was playing his guitar through Al Cisnero’s old Vivekananda bass heads. And Doyle gets insane guitar tones from a high-gain guitar preamp running into Ampeg SVTs.
Quote by LaidBack

Most bass amps nowadays are solid state, tend to have a lot of headroom and stay relatively clean. They were also designed with bass in mind and have a lower high frequency cutoff. Your guitar tone won't necissarily cut through the mix as well in a band situation.

+1. Played guitar through my Peavey Tour TNT to see what it would sound like. It was extremely disappointing. I don't even know what I was expecting.

Quote by tubetime86
This has been debated here a hundred times, but there are some who believe a bass could cause extreme excursion in guitar speakers possibly causing damage. Then people come back and ask why an octaver is OK with a guitar cab and it goes back and forth ad infinitum. I'd just not risk it, unless you really have to.

There is no conceivable issue with plugging a bass into a guitar amp, or a guitar into a bass amp. The issue, if there even is one, is the speakers not the amp.

The way that it makes sense to me, is that it's not the actual note that causes the problem (hence why octavers and 8+ string guitars are perfectly fine). It's a combination of the huge scale length of the bass and the huge strings they use that makes the difference.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Carrot
stick a nice dirt pedal in between the guitar and the bass head.
One of my fave sounds that is.
drop the bass on the amp and up the treble a bit too.
YEEEAH sick wubz
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.