You know, I love music. I'm sure the rest of you on here would say the same as well. I'm 20 years old and I can't see myself ever... not being into music. What I mean by that is, when I'm older, I still would like to think that I will go to concerts, keep up with new bands/artists, and enjoy new genres and sounds. Certainly, now that I'm still young it is easier for me to have time and money to spend in music. I wouldn't argue that a 20 year old guy working 40 hours a week would have more of an ability to play guitar, keep up with bands/artists, go to concerts, and whatnot, than, say, a 40 year old man with a wife and kids and a 60 hour a week job.

That being said, I know very few adults who know of or enjoy much modern music. Most of them seem to be stuck in their heyday of rock and pop music from the 70's and 80's. Now I'm not trying to make any kind of argument pitting 70s-80s music vs. the modern stuff, but I would like to take a look at why most people seem to enjoy music at a younger age more than when they are older.

More to the point, does anyone else notice how many of the bands/artists that play today are adults, yet the crowds are filled mainly of children? This varies according to genre I feel. "Metal" (and its infinite sub-genres) concerts are heavily laden with younger kids while jazz shows will have more adults, as one would imagine. But who is to say that the progressive technical death metal of today will not be the jazz of tomorrow?

Anyway, I think I've said, in some jumbled way, what I've been thinking.

Discuss
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I'd say most people are just casual music fans. I don't know many people our age that keep up with artists or go to any shows outside of the occasional big mainstream name coming to town.
Quote by c3powil

That being said, I know very few adults who know of or enjoy much modern music. Most of them seem to be stuck in their heyday of rock and pop music from the 70's and 80's. Now I'm not trying to make any kind of argument pitting 70s-80s music vs. the modern stuff, but I would like to take a look at why most people seem to enjoy music at a younger age more than when they are older.

Don't really see how this is them not liking music

It's pretty well documented that people generally enjoy the music they liked in their late teens and early-mid twenties, more than newer stuff.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
delving into new music is a commitment that not a lot of adults have the time nor the patience for. it's really only something kids with a lot of time on their hands can invest in.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Keeping up with new bands is sort of pointless. Normally they aren't doing anything musically new, only culturally, and modern music sings the modern culture (i.e. youth culture).

But great songs are great songs. Listen to what you enjoy and play what you enjoy. I'm sure you still enjoy live acoustic pub sit down kind of gigs. Or sitting down with friends an jamming some blues.

Music isn't a kids thing, culture (like emo/ goth/ hip hop etc.) is.
Quote by Wormholes
I'd say most people are just casual music fans. I don't know many people our age that keep up with artists or go to any shows outside of the occasional big mainstream name coming to town.

This.

Most people appreciate music the same way I 'appreciate' films. I'll watch a film here and there but my life would honestly hardly change if I the film industry suddenly disappeared. When I actually go see a movie with my friends I don't really give a crap about the movie itself - I just like going out with my friends and doing stuff with them. People usually don't really give a crap about music in the same way - they just enjoy listening to it in the car and humming along with their friends and later getting drunk with them while still happily singing to the same melodies. Even I have a few bands in my library that I don't really listen to actively but I keep them stored for the same reasons - my friends enjoy those artists.

Also the majority of my friends say they 'absolutely love' some artist but can only name one or two songs by them - specifically the hot singles that were played on the radio non-stop at some point in time. That or some collection of classic rock and metal hits and popular artists from those genres. The idea of listening to an entire album is completely foreign to them and their main if not only source of new music is the Top 40 chart.

Hell, I don't give a crap about paintings for instance and yet I know a few of the famous ones, it's just not real part of my life. And I suppose there's nothing really wrong with that - each to their own. But I can't expect them to actively seek out new music and promising artists in their adult lives if they don't even do that now and I suppose it was the same with the majority of the population throughout the 20th century.

Music is not a big part of life for most people - it's more of a thing to enjoy with your friends, a medium that creates a great mood at parties and gatherings, or just some likable assortment of tunes to listen to at home while you do something else. It loses a lot of its importance along with parties as you mature.

However, I'm fairly sure that the people who seriously enjoy music and hold it as an important part of their life will keep doing so well into adulthood - musicians tend to have this attitude towards music for obvious reasons.

TL;DR: If it's just a social pass-time or side-interest to you, like the occasional trip to the cinema, you will probably grow out of it or just stop doing it due to time restrictions. If it's a large and important part of your daily life, you probably won't just leave it behind like some fad.

Such is life:

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I know old ass people who like Lady Gaga/the latest pop trends. I think I'm gonna be into music forever cause I am constantly getting bored of stuff I listen to a lot and need to find something new
Quote by EddYerb
Keeping up with new bands is sort of pointless. Normally they aren't doing anything musically new, only culturally, and modern music sings the modern culture (i.e. youth culture).

But great songs are great songs. Listen to what you enjoy and play what you enjoy. I'm sure you still enjoy live acoustic pub sit down kind of gigs. Or sitting down with friends an jamming some blues.

lmao
I don't really listen to much new or popular music. I was into everything till about 20 or so, then, like you said, life gets in the way. Lucky for me I never married or had kids yet so now in my 40s I have all my time back again! yay single life! Still rather play music than listen though.
I'm 42. Music is a huge passion but I like less and less of the new stuff I hear, be it chart pop or metal.

New music somehow rankles or annoys. Like whiny valley girl American accents and going up in pitch at the end of a sentence. Justin Bieber looks like the biggest twat I've ever seen. I feel more and more cynical about new stuff and sound like my own parents when I was a kid.

I've never been a massive music 'consumer', more an 'appreciator', so I don't need a constant flow of new stuff to whip my failing attention span, and I'm more than happy to listen to the same old thing many times.

But I do wish there was some new metal I liked.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
This.

Most people appreciate music the same way I 'appreciate' films. I'll watch a film here and there but my life would honestly hardly change if I the film industry suddenly disappeared. :

I feel like music has a bigger impact on the world than movies though.
that being said, I love music. I'm still discovering bands on a monthly basis that I like.

hypothetically speaking:
I can't see myself still looking for other bands when I'm occupied raising children and maintaining a healthy relationship with the wife, while having a job and household stuff to do.
When you're older and get a family there's not not enough time to go looking for something like that. I'd rather just play my guitar and play the millions of songs I DID discover back when I had the time.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by EddYerb

The things that are extra wrong are written in red.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I go to several dozen concerts a year plus several dozens of local bands at bars and what not.
The concerts are a mix of old bands and new or newer acts. Saw the Allman Brothers and A7X in the same week a year or so ago. Coheed and Cambria followed by BOC 2 days later.
So no, music isn't just for kids. That's Trix.

Oh and snazz yer mum was meh. Live music is where it's at.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
When you're a young kid, you have the free time, interest, and opportunity to scour the web for new music and discover things about your taste. By the time you hit your mid 20's, you have to make a living for yourself, that generally takes up most of your time. It's not a "kid's thing" in that, people of all ages love music and always will. But people's tastes develop in their teens primarily out of convenience and wonder.
I get what TS is saying, I always find it sorta odd when I see older people at gigs. It's sorta like 'the fuk you doing here you pedo fuk?' but then then I hope I'm still passionate about music at that age too, i.e abusing spotify and gigging

Oh and I'd wanna still build my vinyl collection to mountainous heights
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by steve_muse
chart and pop being the only 2 genres obv

I get what TS is saying, I always find it sorta odd when I see older people at gigs. It's sorta like 'the fuk you doing here you pedo fuk?' but then then I hope I'm still passionate about music at that age too, i.e abusing spotify and gigging

Never took you for a Beiber fan Steve.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Wormholes

Agreed. If you are a casual fan of music, then you'll prefer to stick with what you've always listened to. That's why people love classic rock stations and throwback 80's stations on the radio - it allows folks to listen to the "background soundtrack" to their life. It's a casual way to remember the good times. Studies show that most of our memories our comprised in our 20's, so whatever we are listening to during that time will without a doubt affect what we listen to the rest of our lives - especially if we only listen to music casually.
life is a kids thing
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Jackal58
Never took you for a Beiber fan Steve.

He was even wearing the tee shirt tho, startled me

Respect to ya Don tho, all these pussies talking about family life and work supplanting the spiritual necessity of art. Buncha wage slave jerkz
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I've observed it too.
Back in college (early 80s) I had professors that grew up in the 60s. Perhaps 'came of age' is a better term. They were TIRED of hearing 'the same songs, bands, etc' for 20 years.
I laughed at that..how odd.

But now I'm 50 and it's interesting as I have 'perspective' on it.

My parents, and I have a few friends in their 60s (pre R&R) that just don't listen to rock, of any sort. They 'came of age' to different music. And they are 'stuck' on that music to this day.

Why is that? Like many that have the same hair style as they did in HS I think it's when you 'came of age' - you became an 'adult' and formed your identity, personality, etc.

I know in HS there were those that listened to pop, glam, heavy metal, acid rock - and few crossed over.

So if your 'identity' is led zeppelin-ish, or floyd-ish, or such then changing music changes, or challenges, your identity.

I'm seeing this with my son- punk music is IT! He has a class mate that went toward rap and they are no longer friends (aka hang out, play games, etc). what do you think the odds are that kid will change from rap/hip hop to punk, country or jazz?

Good music (or movies or books) will always be good. You may not 'like' Primus but it's good music. Much of the pop from my youth is long forgotten - it wasn't good music then and still isn't good music. I don't think Katy Perry's roar (or much of her music at all) will go down in history as good music. Nobody will be listenign to it in 20, 30, 40 years.

I know I've gotten 'bored' with what I listened to in my youth and am 'exploring' but there is a lot of good old music as well as some good new music. I love the black keys for instance. I never did get into grunge much - but as the OP said, raising little kids, working full time, fixing up a house tends to take up ones attention.

I went to see a bar band last month...my last concert before that was probably last century (either jimmy buffet or paige/plant tour).
Quote by theogonia777
The things that are extra wrong are written in red.

Really?

I thought it was poetical insight.

Music creates feelings right? Youth culture is the feeling of a generation, or sub cultures of. Popular music tends to be expressing the feelings of a generation and promotes values that the generation feels. Once it was peace and love, then rebellion. Now it seems to be quite materialistic.
i'm sure those same adults would be seen at a modern jazz concert. a lot of metal is simply more suited for young people who haven't mellowed out yet and still crave the raw, unrefined "energy" that metal brings.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
As I get older I only enjoy music more and more (certain music anyways). It is profound and I'm just realizing how profound it is.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
As I get older I only enjoy music more and more (certain music anyways). It is profound and I'm just realizing how profound it is.

Yes
I think that pop music is something that has already passed me by and i'm only 23. I'm not trying to sound "edgy", but i've never really been into chart music, but i've never had too much of a problem with it, but recently it has just annoyed me.

I would like to think i would keep up with "alternative" (using that as a catch-all term for rock, metal, prog, not pop basically) music when i'm still middle aged, but i'm not sure. There is a pub that i used to go to that had an open mic night, and the only songs people played were old classics, and if anybody ever played anything new it would get little to no reaction, so as long as i don't end up with a similar mindset as the regulars to that pub, i'll be happy.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
No one ever thinks that they'll change when they get older, but most of us do. Spend enough time living and you're bound to develop new interests. If not, you may not be doing it right.
music is a journey mang be it old or new it just depends on how open you are to it/exposed.
Whats goes around must come down
The places that have live bands are often (nearly always) run by owner/manager who don't give a crap about music at all. To them a band is a necessary evil that they need to draw business to their bar/restaurant. If they could, they would do without them. If you were a one armed zither player who played Celtic funeral dirges for four hours but you have a big following and can pack a room on a Saturday night, you will have more gigs than you can handle. It's all about what you can do for the business. Because of that you have to tailor your music to draw an audience. If you don't you won't work. That’s the way it is. Does anyone think that every bar band that plays "Sweet Home Alabama" or some crappy Jimmy Buffett song does so because they enjoy it? (This isn't a knock on the songs or the artists, I could have picked a few dozen or so other songs that fit this scenario.) If you want to play live you have to make concessions and play what 90% of the room wants to hear not a couple of your friends in the corner who love Corn and Anthrax and will nurse a beer for several hours.
Leadfred was right, music is the soundtrack to people's lives and that is usually the part of their life when there was no real pressure to pay the mortgage or put your kids through college. That usually happened in their teen years before they got married had a full time job and the real world hit them in the ass. So each generation wants to hear music that reminds them of that time.