Hi guys, I know a lot of people on here hate Metallica's tone and say it shouldn't be replicated or whatever, but I really want to know what pedals you guys think could give that lead sound they have.

In songs like "The memory remains" when the solo comes in, or the solo in "sad but true" Anybody know what pedals he uses there? I've been looking but honestly I don't know anything about pedals.

My amp is a laney gh100L and guitar is a gibson sg. If you have any ideas please share, thanks!
Do you have a Tubescreamer type pedal? If not get one. ASAP.

Besides that, which is just general and not specific to any song, you need wah.

Do you have an EQ? They go a long, long way. The MXR 10 Band is excellent. It's an 18V pedal though, so just be aware of that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 29, 2014,
The Metallica lead sound is very heavily processed. It's hard to get with just a home rig. Don't kill yourself over it. Just a heads up.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Offworld92

Do you have an EQ? They go a long, long way. The MXR 10 Band is excellent. It's an 18V pedal though, so just be aware of that.

+1 This
Quote by Rynoburgy
Hi guys, I know a lot of people on here hate Metallica's tone and say it shouldn't be replicated or whatever, but I really want to know what pedals you guys think could give that lead sound they have.

In songs like "The memory remains" when the solo comes in, or the solo in "sad but true" Anybody know what pedals he uses there? I've been looking but honestly I don't know anything about pedals.

My amp is a laney gh100L and guitar is a gibson sg. If you have any ideas please share, thanks!

all that is mentioned here is pretty much on point.

i've heard a gh100L is close to a jcm800, if that is the case then boost the front of the amp with a tubescreamer. i have heard most of metallica's earlier tones are very similar to this formula.

imo, using a proco rat will probably get you pretty close as well.

kirk uses the wah pedal quite a bit. i have heard stories of them hiding the wah from him when laying tracks in the studio.

the think the solo on 'The Memory Remains' actually uses a talk box instead of a wah, a talk box sounds much more vocal/nasal. talk boxes are quite a bit more complicated than a wah so it is probably not realistic to get that particular tone.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 30, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
Do you have a Tubescreamer type pedal? If not get one. ASAP.

Besides that, which is just general and not specific to any song, you need wah.

Thanks for your response. I only have 1 pedal currently, a Dunlop original crybaby, and this brings me to my next noob question. Is wah the same as a crybaby or are they dofferent?

Also yes I've looked into the tube screamer and I think that'll be what I get. I'm not sure I would be able to figure out the eq pedal at this stage so it'd probably not be used as much.

Thanks
Quote by Rynoburgy
Thanks for your response. I only have 1 pedal currently, a Dunlop original crybaby, and this brings me to my next noob question. Is wah the same as a crybaby or are they dofferent?

Also yes I've looked into the tube screamer and I think that'll be what I get. I'm not sure I would be able to figure out the eq pedal at this stage so it'd probably not be used as much.

Thanks

i believe he used an original crybaby for a long time, now he has a sig model though. you should be fine with the original
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i believe he used an original crybaby for a long time, now he has a sig model though. you should be fine with the original

Awesome. I'll get a tube screamer and see what I can do. Thanks!
they used mesa MKiii's for a few albums (can't remember which i think ...and justice for all was one). other wise cranked/and or boosted JCM800, and studio magic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/