I've recently come into about $50 dollars in gift cards to Guitar Center. I've been looking at distortion pedals for about a week now and I was leaning towards the DS-1 cause it's cheap and seems good. However, yesterday, I came across the M69 and seemed to like the tone a little more the DS-1. It sounds a lot more rich and doesn't seem to suck a lot of tone like the DS-1. I play more surf style music, with a lot of reverb and I want something to just make it a little more gritty and punk. I play a Fender Strat, through a Peavey Classic 50.

I was primarily looking at these pedals for price, and due to the fact that I will be getting them for close to free.

I would really love some input, from those who have had either, or heard things.

Thanks.
More than $50, but the MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion is a great sounding distortion. I see that there are several on GC used for $50. Just put MXR 78 in the search in the used section.
Something about the Prime Distortion just doesn't sound good to me. I actually like the DS-1 a lot, but it sucks tone too much when off. The MXR Super Badass Distortion is great but its out of your budget. The '78 is pretty good as well and a little cheaper
Per usual, I make a post on this forum and it eventually ends up with me wanting to buy something else. I guess I'm getting a '78 distortion now.
you could always ask around here a bit. we have a few people who will build pedals or even custom versions for a good price, (not me) but i try to support fellow guitarists especially on here.

the badass is a near a clone of something (maybe blues driver) check on that

i can't remember what though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Biedermannn
Per usual, I make a post on this forum and it eventually ends up with me wanting to buy something else. I guess I'm getting a '78 distortion now.

isn't that kinda the point of asking? options you hadn't thought of is the best part of talking on the forums. now to throw a real fly in the ointment and suggest a fuzz. if you want surf with a bit of punk attitude then that is the way I'd go.
Quote by monwobobbo
isn't that kinda the point of asking? options you hadn't thought of is the best part of talking on the forums. now to throw a real fly in the ointment and suggest a fuzz. if you want surf with a bit of punk attitude then that is the way I'd go.

What would you recommend for a fuzz pedal on a budget?
Quote by Biedermannn
What would you recommend for a fuzz pedal on a budget?

used would be the best bet. you may also want to look at Joyo's fuzz pedals as they would be affordable. if you can save some more money then a Dunlop fuzzface would be a good choice. if you can find an Akai DR3 fuzz that would give you several fuzz options. I'm also a fan of the Seymour Duncan Tweak fuzz but those are out of production. an EH Big Muff would also be a good choice. do a little research and see what is available to you to try out. fuzz can be a little weird to use so finding the one that is right for you may mean trying a few out.