So I've been offered one of these guitars as an even trade for my Mesa 4x12 slant cab and I was wondering what the general consensus on these were.

On the positive side, another guitar is NEVER a bad thing and my cab hasn't generated a ton of interest on Craigslist unless you count some ridiculously low-ball offers.

The big downside is that I hate the 80/60 EMGs that are currently in it. I play pretty much every genre but metal which means spending money on something else? Possibly 57/66 or ditching active for some passive Dimarzios.
Great guitars. I own the FM version and its on par with my Gibson. If you're going to be playing multiple genres of music the 59/jb combo that came in mine originally was great and could go from a nice classic rock tone to an extreme high gain sound with the right amp. Generally the older ec-1000 models are a little more sought after since they came with sperzels and earvana nuts before ESP started using their own tuners/nuts.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the ec1000 they're widely regarded from what I've seen as a very well built guitar. I used to have one and I loved it although I like the emgs so if its not a big deal for you to swap em out then it could be a good deal. Its a fairly even trade with the cab probably having slightly more value but if you cant unload it anywhere else then why not.
I hope its the vintage black ec1000 by the way that thing is dam fine lookin
I have an EC 1000 STBC from the first year they made them. I love the guitar. I've played hundreds of shows with it and never had anything more than a dirty pot go wrong with it. Mine has the 81/81 set in it. I was originally not too into the EMGs, but they scream in this guitar. I went looking for the Amber burst with the Duncans in it and found this one. I had a second one with Dimarzio Freds in it...not a good fit.

I actually kept this over an ESP Eclipse, as the sound was actually better (everything else about the ESP was better though). I've played a few EC 1000s over the years, and I firmly believe they're not as good as that first 2 or 3 years in tone or hardware.

Your Mesa cab is probably worth more, but if you'll use the guitar more, and he has a case with it....do the trade.
I love my EC-1000T (same guitar just 22 frets, and thicker body) I still think it plays as nice or better than my Les Pauls. I did ditch the EMG's though.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I've played several of them and they're good guitars. Most of the models have lots of horrible-looking abalone though, and they're super duper common so I never bought one.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I've always liked them, never owned one though. When I was looking into them a lot of people said they NEED a setup when new, but people who say that are usually way pickier than I am.
Played a few and I've always been impressed. I really like the LTD 1000 with the SD 59 and JB pups. That is awesome set of pups in an awesome guitar. I like these better than most Gibson LP's, primarily because I find the neck more comfortable in my small hands.

If you really want to move that cab go for it. Like you said, I'd rather have another guitar laying around that I could actually play rather than have a cab or amp I had no use for. To me, that makes the tried work out even if the dollar value of the items isn't the same.
Ibanez SR1200E
Love them, the older ones when the MH400NT was the up to date model.
Think 2005-2008 i think. Thats the 1000 to go for.

Saying that, they are all decent guitars. Just theres like 34895798327489273 different versions.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Get one with sperzels.Ltd locking tuners aren't the best.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Great guitars... Blows away Gibby studios!!! The 81/60's are really good on a good tube amp.
Someone here has an excellent blog on dating LTD numbers so you don't buy a shit one. You generally want to go no lower than the 1000 version regardless from.what I remember. Offworld92 (sorry haha)

I was gonna buy an MH1000 BTW, but then I picked up a used vintage RG which was IMO a much better buy for me. They're nice to play on.
Last edited by Spaztikko at Jan 30, 2014,
EC1000's are decent. i owned on for a week or two. one thing that is a turnoff for me is the bling. i know some don't. they are decent guitars. good value because the resale is so low (last time i checked).

i also had a 400 and a 401. the 400 trumped the 1000, and the 401 wasn't as great as either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spaztikko
Someone here has an excellent blog on dating LTD numbers so you don't buy a shit one. You generally want to go no lower than the 1000 version regardless from.what I remember. DaveMC still around? I think it was him.

I was gonna buy an MH1000 BTW, but then I picked up a used vintage RG which was IMO a much better buy for me. They're nice to play on.

I think you're talking about my blog. It's a little out of date, but is mostly still relevant. I honestly forgot about it. I'll have to update it for all these new ESP Original/Standard/EII shenanigans they're pulling.

I owned an EC-1000 for a while. I was not super impressed, for all it's hyped up to be. But I think I probably just got a bit of a dud. My H-301 is far nicer to play.

The neck on my EC-1000 was shitty, it was more of a really chunky D than a "Thin U" like it was supposed to be. That was most of the reason I didn't get along with it. I was expecting the neck to be the same as on my H-301, but it wasn't. No idea why, as far as I know it should be the same profile. "Thin U".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Here's my 1000T. More like a Gibson with the body shape. Not as much "bling" as the normal model. I Love it.

'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
i've found eclipses to have an overtly "woody" tone and sub par fret access compared to others in the line. however they do play well and nothing beats the smooth sound of an emg 60 in neck position for backed off leads and cleans imo. I wouldn't trade a mesa cab for a used one though. your cab is easily worth the price of one new. hold out. a good eclipse can be had for $6-700 (canada tho). whats your cab listed at?
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::