The rhythm guitars are way to present I think, turn them down or maybe lose a bit of the mids.
Otherwise decent mixes, maybe work on the transitions of riffs a little, sometimes they feel really 'cut', like at 1:45 of Lost in Time for instance.
Also, when the solo kicks in, make sure it is at the top of your mix, now it knid of gets kicked down by the rhythm guitars.
@BaZah thanks for that. I pumped up the rhythm guitars on them because I thought the songs lost some of that "umph" with them lowered. Man, I don't know if I can part with any of the mids in the rhythm guitars I'm really digging how they sound lol. Its the hardest thing to balance IMO. I noticed the same thing too about the solos, but for now I just rolled with it figuring I'd hear about it. There's also some spotty parts I already know need to be redone, like the rhythm bit you pointed out.
Last edited by nomadic7480 at Jan 29, 2014,
Picked out "Carved in Stone", due to the name perhaps, positively surprised. Guitars at 00:30 and the lead following the melody work really, really well. Lovely lead tone you've got there.

The breakdown with backing synths works well, could've continued in the mellow way a little longer. Bloody impressive soloing that follows. For an instrumental this is pretty much what a song needs, not once did I feel that vocals were needed.

As for the production I think this track is quite fine, the lead cuts through nicely, perhaps the bass could be punchier (though that may a fault of my speakers).

Got to agree with Baz concerning the rhythm guitars in "Lost to the Ages", a little loud. I don't think the solos drown in the mix however, on the contrary.

If you've got the time for some (vocal based mind you) melodic progressive metal, check out our fresh demo.

Colonist - Digital Scream
Really nice guitar tone and brilliant playing! Very In Flameish.
I don't agree that the guitars are too loud, well perhaps only slight. I can imagine these tracks with vocals - would be superb!
Kick ass stuff! Keep it up!
heh, found your thread. you should link here so you get your thread bumped.

i'm listening to Lost to the Ages. the song is fantastic. interesting guitar work everywhere, good rhythmic tension. love everything.

as for the mix, i have to agree with some of the others that the guitar has too much presence. maybe just lower some of the low mids? occasionally the palm mutes border on becoming muddy. give the bass more space.

i like the mix on Beyond What Eyes Can See a lot more, even the synths are easier to hear. but it seems you favor the mids a lot. i'd suggest listening to your mixes on a different sound system.

however, i prefer not to be constantly overwhelmed with massive wall-of-sound guitar, even in metal, and you may not agree with this.

great writing though, for sure!

P.S. thanks for the tip, Pharaoh is awesome!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Feb 2, 2014,
@vIsIbleNoIsE Thanks for the kind words! I'm afraid of cutting mids because its been beaten into my way of thinking that scooped mids = less guitar cut, and mids are "where the angry lives" lol. In the case of what I'm going for, I like very pretty melodies, but the music can't get too flowery and that's where pissed-off guitars come into effect. But I'm going to take everyone's advice here and play around with reduced mids, or just lowering the rhythm tracks in the mix via the ol' slider.

P.S. Yes I've been a fan of Pharaoh's every since I heard them. They have a big Piece Of Mind-era Iron Maiden influence going on. Did I introduce you to them, or had you heard them before?
Quote by nomadic7480
@vIsIbleNoIsE Thanks for the kind words! I'm afraid of cutting mids because its been beaten into my way of thinking that scooped mids = less guitar cut, and mids are "where the angry lives" lol. In the case of what I'm going for, I like very pretty melodies, but the music can't get too flowery and that's where pissed-off guitars come into effect. But I'm going to take everyone's advice here and play around with reduced mids, or just lowering the rhythm tracks in the mix via the ol' slider.

P.S. Yes I've been a fan of Pharaoh's every since I heard them. They have a big Piece Of Mind-era Iron Maiden influence going on. Did I introduce you to them, or had you heard them before?

yea, it does sound pretty aggressive as it is, which is obviously a good thing considering the song. just try dialing it down a bit for balance. i used to be wary about cutting mids too, just because everyone on the internet says it's sacrilege in metal to do so, but i realized that i find it less fatiguing on the ear if it is just slightly scooped. maybe i'm getting old =( by the way, i don't have a lot of mixing experience, i'm really just going by records that i hear.

and Pharaoh is new to me, you get the credit.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Feb 2, 2014,
@vIsIbleNoIsE IMO their best album is "The Longest Night". Holy shit its fantastic from start to finish.
Quote by nomadic7480
@Priest_of_Judas, where do I comment on your song? Cause I really dig it.

Heya, thanks. You can comment on soundcloud (I think?) or right here, any feedback is appreciated