Hello!
I'm just looking for some opinions on what I should do w/ my current amp setup. I currently play through a Randall T2H(400 watts) with a Genz Benz G-Flex 212. The only effects I really use are my weeping demon, and BBE two timer delay.

I am considering selling this to get a Line 6 POD HD500x and a powered PA speaker (12" Mackie Thump?). I don't really gig any more but I would like to have the option to if I wanted. I mainly play and record here at home. The T2H isn't too loud or anything but I like the idea of having different sounds and effects to work w/, other than Overloud 2 that I use for recording, and also the option for playing live should I need to.

So what do you guys think... should I sell the Randall and Genz to get the HD500x and a Powered PA speaker, or should I keep my current set up and spend my tax $$$ on the line 6??? Thanx!
Quote by jfkelly13
Hello!
I'm just looking for some opinions on what I should do w/ my current amp setup. I currently play through a Randall T2H(400 watts) with a Genz Benz G-Flex 212. The only effects I really use are my weeping demon, and BBE two timer delay.

I am considering selling this to get a Line 6 POD HD500x and a powered PA speaker (12" Mackie Thump?). I don't really gig any more but I would like to have the option to if I wanted. I mainly play and record here at home. The T2H isn't too loud or anything but I like the idea of having different sounds and effects to work w/, other than Overloud 2 that I use for recording, and also the option for playing live should I need to.

So what do you guys think... should I sell the Randall and Genz to get the HD500x and a Powered PA speaker, or should I keep my current set up and spend my tax $$$ on the line 6??? Thanx!

the pod HD definitely sounds like it would work for ya.

i'd just be sure to try one out before you buy. since it is a fairly common piece of equipment you should be able to find one in stock to try out if you are anywhere near a retail chain.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The only warning I will give is that you may miss your setup more than you'd think. I went digital not too long ago, and it was cool for a while, but I ended up coming back to good old fashioned amps because I just couldn't get over the sound of a real amp sitting in the room. Of course, some people don't have an issue with a full digital rig, but I couldn't do it. Just something to consider.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Hold onto both for a while as you make the transition.

The HD500 has a lot to offer, but it's a fairly complicated piece of gear and if you're going to get the best out of it, you're going to have to learn some non-obvious-at-first things about it. The presets aren't likely to make you happy; you're going to want to develop your own tones. As you poke around with it, you're going to want to get a bit of relief and just play, and your older rig will let you do that. Speaking from experience here. I really have no interest in moving back to tube amps at this point, but the learning curve did give me pause now and then. You can get to "real amp sitting in the room," but some folks don't have the patience to dial that in. Once you do, you won't go back.

I'm not a fan of the Mackie Thump. Unfortunately, the rigs that do a better job mostly cost you better money. The Carvin PM12A and PM15A are better units for nearly the same bucks if you're in the states. The QSC K12 is a better unit, but around $800.

I've been using three sets of speakers with my HD; a set of KRK Rokit 8s (small room near field stuff), some Atomic Reactor amps (these are a discontinued design by the folks that market the Fractal Axe FX), which are actually powered speaker cabinets that *look* like a standard amp, which have a tube power amp built in (18W EL84 or 50W 6L6) -- and a pair of fEARless F115 cabinets with a 1500W stereo power amp. The latter rig will also handle bass at any level and keyboards for an arena <G>.
Thanks for the input!

Yeah one of my issues is that I don't want to be kicking myself later thinking that I should have just kept my actual amp, and I guess that's part of my question... do you think this is even gear worth fretting over or should I just invest in something better... whatever it may be?
Regarding the Mackie Thump vs the Carvin PM15A (for example).

The Thump supposedly has 400W of power, as does the Carvin. But the Carvin's is 400W RMS, while the Thump has 300W peak power for the bottom end, 100W peak power for the HF driver.
Using the Mackie rating system, the Carvin has 1200-1600W of peak power.

Maximum peak SPL on the Mackie is 116dB, max peak on the Carvin is 128dB. Not that you're going to use all of that, but there you are.

The Mackie is $349 from Sweetwater, the Carvin $319 (plus shipping and the final 10' toss by a FedUp or OoPS employee)