Hey guys,

I almost always have my american standard strat in Eb. When I go out for jams, i tune it back up to standard since that's the preferred tuning for most other players. I've noticed that when I first do this, my guitar fights with me and absolutely does not want to go back to standard. It takes probably an hour or so of fighting with it and constantly turning back upwards until the strings obey and stick. Is this normal or is there some kind of setup issue w/ my guitar? It IS really really cold here (long island) lately...
Do you have the trem floating? If so, it's probably because as you tune each string up, it pulls the trem further up, which puts the rest out of tune again.

I always had that issue with a Floyd Rose. I think I eventually just started by adjusting all the strings by about the same number of turns on the tuner and hoped it ended up more or less right before fine tuning.
Quote by Preacher403
Do you have the trem floating? If so, it's probably because as you tune each string up, it pulls the trem further up, which puts the rest out of tune again.

I always had that issue with a Floyd Rose. I think I eventually just started by adjusting all the strings by about the same number of turns on the tuner and hoped it ended up more or less right before fine tuning.

i actually had the trem laid flush against the body by request last time i had it set up--but now looking at it, it's floating a bit, which is concerning.
Because you had it set up for half step down..... increase spring tension in the back and it'll be fine for both tunings
Quote by NikZM
Because you had it set up for half step down..... increase spring tension in the back and it'll be fine for both tunings

Am I aiming to put the bridge flush to the body again? Should take the strings off first, right?
Quote by NikZM

^^^^ this

KEEP YOUR STRINGS ON. Just loosen them a bit at the tuners. get the bridge flush with the body. Screw in spring claw screws or add springs. Retune. No more wasting an hour to switch tunings
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,