I saw the thread about the guy who wanted to date a Vox so I thought I'd come clean.

She was a bit on the old side but very mature and she had lots of mojo.

Before opening her up I gave her a nice cleaning. A little soap and water did wonders.

For the hard to reach places and really dirty spots I used a toothbrush. And Windex.

For her knobs I applied just a bit of contact cleaner. They were pretty dirty.

She had been off and in standby for quite awhile, so I decided to not to fire her up right away so I could get a better look first.

I also noticed that her valves rattled a bit and I was obviously concerned with this.

I decided to take her temperature so I got out my trusty probe. After many many close up pictures it was time to get it on.

Then...

Then I did it!

I hit her insert jacks with contact cleaner and let it rip.

(please do not report me, i will post pics after i upload to photobucket)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 31, 2014,
Pics or it's a frontman

I should report you just to be that asshole
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
So when a Bassman needs contact cleaner that's alright but if my motorcycle doesn't like to run in the snow well that just won't do.

She looks purdy, a guy I know has one just like it. Gives me GAS every time I go there.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Thing sounds pretty amazing.

Has a bit of crackle on some of the pots.

I believe these 7025 preamp tubes would be original? The only writing on them is U.S.A. 7025.

I could get some nice distorted tones with this amp. Cleans were well....very clean.

Sweet! Shes got some mojo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
There were screw holes in the bottom of the headshell for some reason.

One of the knobs needed to be replaced (imo) so I ordered a new one but can't get the old one off.

It needs rubber feet.

The front panel with the basket weave broke loose so I screwed that in tight.

I glued down all the loose tolex with Tacky glue.

The white crap inside the headshell is not from me.

Looks great now!

Heat the knob with a hair dryer and it should come right off.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
it needs a purple gem light.

nice clean up job. a little wd40 works wonders too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Cool! Need to com that dude out of it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I believe these 7025 preamp tubes would be original? The only writing on them is U.S.A. 7025.
Very probable, if they're RCA 7025's you've got a VERY nice set of tubes on your hands. They're considered the best American tubes made and were loaded in the bigger Fender amps at the factory, I've got 4 of them that test NOS I picked up in a yard sale for nothing.

EDIT: You sure that's a '67? It should be a Drip Edge (like the pic below)... either way, it's definitely an earlier Silverface since it's a Black Line Bassman (which means it's close to BF circuitry). I'm guessing it may be from 1969

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 30, 2014,
^ Hey Holden.

I was hoping you would stop by.

Drip Edge? You mean that aluminum trim around the weave?

In doing some research I ran into that term but didn't catch what it meant exactly or if it had a definitive point in time of introduction.

What I based my dating on was the serial number and the numbers printed on the transformers.

There also happens to be a '67 in the bottom corner of the rear panel, but no where could I find that as a reliable number for anything so I started to disregard it.

Serial Number: A34239

Dating a Fender Bassman
http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm
Bassman AB165, AC568, AA270, AA371 (silverface)
A32000 to A40000 - 1967 <----- A34239 would fall in here
A39000 to A49000 - 1968
A48000 to A58000 - 1969
A58000 to A60000 - 1970

For the numbers printed on the transformers it is these middle numbers that give up the year. Now you may be saying, 'But yeah 311, that is just the year those transformers were made - not when the amp was assembled'. I looked into that too and what I found is that in most cases the transformers, along with other components, were usually made in the same year due to the way manufacturing was set up and demand for the product.

Both tell me it is a 1967.
Output Transformer is: 606-730
Power Transformer is: 606-728

The circuit is called a 'AB165' and is slightly less desirable from the Blackface Bassman 'AA165'.
Wow 311 thats very cool, and looks amazing for an amp thats older than my dad
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Drip Edge? You mean that aluminum trim around the weave?

yeah, they had those until '69. in fact CBS put it on a number of their products. my leslie model 16 has a drip edge to it. i think it is a '68

i also thought the silverface aesthetic used driplines on amp intil '69, but your model is a VERY early silverface (see below what this means for your circuit) so it just may be a transition period thing

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
In doing some research I ran into that term but didn't catch what it meant exactly or if it had a definitive point in time of introduction.

What I based my dating on was the serial number and the numbers printed on the transformers.

There also happens to be a '67 in the bottom corner of the rear panel, but no where could I find that as a reliable number for anything so I started to disregard it.

Serial Number: A34239

Dating a Fender Bassman
http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm
Bassman AB165, AC568, AA270, AA371 (silverface)
A32000 to A40000 - 1967 <----- A34239 would fall in here
A39000 to A49000 - 1968
A48000 to A58000 - 1969
A58000 to A60000 - 1970

i believe the pots also have a production code on them, so that could be another thing to compare against, but if you chassis and trannie codes are already matching then that is probably enough. that fender chassis dating project is pretty great right?

usually there is also two letters written on the tube chart to also date the amp, you can generally decipher these to find out when it was made. the letters appear in various locations and weren't alway placed on the chart at all, the bassman doesn't appear to have any.

if your amp was a combo i am sure you know you could look up the speaker code too.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
For the numbers printed on the transformers it is these middle numbers that give up the year. Now you may be saying, 'But yeah 311, that is just the year those transformers were made - not when the amp was assembled'. I looked into that too and what I found is that in most cases the transformers, along with other components, were usually made in the same year due to the way manufacturing was set up and demand for the product.

Both tell me it is a 1967.
Output Transformer is: 606-730
Power Transformer is: 606-728

that is a fairly safe assumption, when comparing all my codes the speakers, chassis, pots and transformer codes were all within a couple months of each other (from late '61 to early '62)

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The circuit is called a 'AB165' and is slightly less desirable from the Blackface Bassman 'AA165'.

actually the blackface bassman came with the AA165 and AB165 circuits. the AB style circuits had some improvements (very minor changes having to do with the NFB loop and 'grid stoppers' on the power tubes)

also, circuit charts for blackface circuits were known to be used even until the early 70's, so identifying the circuit from the chart can lead to incorrect conclusions. that being said, from what i understand, the earliest silverface amps where only aesthetically different from the blackfaces. until late spring/early summer of '68 all the silverface amps came with blackface circuits in them.

basically these means if your amp is a '67 then it has the blackface circuit in it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 30, 2014,
Those gut shots are lovely.

But but but ive gotta ask, Did you buy it off him then?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
^ No, but I'm going to try

He actually uses it ONLY to play harp through and he doesn't gig. He has a 4x12 cab he uses.

I need to talk him out of the Bassman for this application and into something else.

Gumbi - thanks

Yeah - I'm pretty sure it is a 1967 model. Some of these other details you bring up about a transition year have me intrigued a bit further. I've got some schems I downloaded but I can't read them of course.
That's a very interesting amp, it's also possible that somebody swapped the original grill at some point for whatever reason. Being a Black Line SF, it's definitely early and has high potential for having a factory BF circuit.

Good luck in trying to get it, Bassman's are cool amps and usually go for a reasonable price

Those holes on the bottom of the amp were probably where Piggyback hardware was installed at some point.

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
A bassman for harp! What madness, but i can see why he would use it.

Id love a Bassman at some point in my life but they are silly prices in the UK
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by gumbilicious
i also thought the silverface aesthetic used driplines on amp intil '69, but your model is a VERY early silverface (see below what this means for your circuit) so it just may be a transition period thing

I lost where the 'dripline' thing came in or out but I thought it was added at some point after the ones without the dripline. I can see the aluminum dripline being desired because as you know the weave gets ****ed up over time.
Quote by gumbilicious
i believe the pots also have a production code on them, so that could be another thing to compare against, but if you chassis and trannie codes are already matching then that is probably enough. that fender chassis dating project is pretty great right?

You mean the link I provided earlier with the Serial Number right - not guitardaterproject.com ?

I never bothered to check the pots because I was convinced I have a 67.

Any thoughts on why there is a "67" printed on the back plate? The owner actually thougt this was a '72. I should have just told him it was a '72 and worth maybe $200

Quote by gumbilicious
usually there is also two letters written on the tube chart to also date the amp, you can generally decipher these to find out when it was made. the letters appear in various locations and weren't alway placed on the chart at all, the bassman doesn't appear to have any.

I couldn't find any letters necessarily on the tube chart. But I did find a number that I cannot correlate to anything along with the 'AB165'. I've got some pictures of this along with some others and some schematics coming up.
Quote by gumbilicious

actually the blackface bassman came with the AA165 and AB165 circuits. the AB style circuits had some improvements (very minor changes having to do with the NFB loop and 'grid stoppers' on the power tubes)

Interesting. I thought the Blackface was AA and Silverface was AB. The power tubes do appear to have grid stoppers, not sure how to identify a NFB loop. The schematics I found weeks ago are mostly people showing how to change an AB to an AA (or a Silverface to a Blackface). Do you know WHY people would do this? Tonally? Was it just to give people the 'feel' that they were now pre CBS
Quote by gumbilicious

also, circuit charts for blackface circuits were known to be used even until the early 70's, so identifying the circuit from the chart can lead to incorrect conclusions. that being said, from what i understand, the earliest silverface amps where only aesthetically different from the blackfaces. until late spring/early summer of '68 all the silverface amps came with blackface circuits in them.

basically these means if your amp is a '67 then it has the blackface circuit in it.

Interesting indeed.
Quote by Flux'D
That's a very interesting amp, it's also possible that somebody swapped the original grill at some point for whatever reason. Being a Black Line SF, it's definitely early and has high potential for having a factory BF circuit.

That is possible, but why would someone do that? The front panel was super loose and didn't take much to basically just fall off. I reinforced it more permanently with a screw as show in an early pic.
Quote by Flux'D
Those holes on the bottom of the amp were probably where Piggyback hardware was installed at some point.

That makes a LOT of sense. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

The pot shown in the pic below is the 'Balance' pot used instead of a Bias pot. Have not figured this one out yet but what I gathered out of it is that you cannot bias the amp manually - without mods.

Question: I noticed the power tubes were pretty loose in their sockets. Is this a retensioning thing? I also noticed that he keeps his very long power cable wrapped up inside the headshell. I bumped the power tubes a ton just pulling that cable out. Seems like this would be a problem for lots of people. Would a 'hook' system like seen on the back of Peavey's or a vacuum cleaner be a good idea to wrap the power cord around or would that diminish the value?

Also, what about adding rubber feet? This amp is awkward to place on top of just about anything, and it seems like it would rattle less with rubber feet.

more pics next
Quote by Flux'D
That's a very interesting amp, it's also possible that somebody swapped the original grill at some point for whatever reason. Being a Black Line SF, it's definitely early and has high potential for having a factory BF circ

i don't think it'll even need a BF mod. it should already be a BF circuit if it is a '67

-ae
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You mean the link I provided earlier with the Serial Number right - not guitardaterproject.com ?

there was some long term project to figure out the dates of chassis numbers. i always see it on 'superior music'

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Any thoughts on why there is a "67" printed on the back plate? The owner actually thougt this was a '72. I should have just told him it was a '72 and worth maybe $200

no idea

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I couldn't find any letters necessarily on the tube chart. But I did find a number that I cannot correlate to anything along with the 'AB165'. I've got some pictures of this along with some others and some schematics coming up.

some have them and some don't.

they are something like that. and here is the link for decoding

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/amplifier-product-dating/

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Interesting. I thought the Blackface was AA and Silverface was AB. The power tubes do appear to have grid stoppers, not sure how to identify a NFB loop. The schematics I found weeks ago are mostly people showing how to change an AB to an AA (or a Silverface to a Blackface). Do you know WHY people would do this? Tonally? Was it just to give people the 'feel' that they were now pre CBS

the early ones were AA circuits, the AB circuit was just a small mod. though some AB circuits even had small tweaks to the tone stack (like the famous AB763). i have heard no tweaks to the tone stack between the AA165 and AB165

from what i understand there was no huge difference in the tones between those circuits. from what i have heard the 'grid-stoppers' were introduced for safety reasons and the mods to the feedback loop were supposed to make the amp more stable.

i have heard people talking about AA mods, but i have no idea why they would want to.

-ae
Some people don't like the extra NFB, gumbi. Those that want an edgier amp mod it back to the original spec or even less (ie. bigger resistor). Sort of Tweed's them up a bit, if you get my drift.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i know two harp players, both use super reverbs. and both sound glorious.

keep that shiz 311.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well, my neighbor came over tonight and we jammed quite a bit.

We did lots of stereo stuff with all combinations of amps and cabs. He has a 212 cab with big mag Eminence speaker. He played some guitar and plays some serious harp. He's got like 12 harps all in different keys and a special mic he uses. I'm sure Cath would be impressed.

We ran stereo off the Bad Monkey, EHX Clone Theory and the Hardwire RV-7.

Seriously awesome stuff!

Unfortunately, he is not willing to part with this amp as it is a 'part of his family'. He bought it 20 years ago.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Question: I noticed the power tubes were pretty loose in their sockets. Is this a retensioning thing? I also noticed that he keeps his very long power cable wrapped up inside the headshell. I bumped the power tubes a ton just pulling that cable out. Seems like this would be a problem for lots of people. Would a 'hook' system like seen on the back of Peavey's or a vacuum cleaner be a good idea to wrap the power cord around or would that diminish the value?

Also, what about adding rubber feet? This amp is awkward to place on top of just about anything, and it seems like it would rattle less with rubber feet.

Any ideas here?
Quote by Flux'D

I've been wonder how I could do something like that with my AC30 and cab.
Something not to intrusive.
Excellent idea.