Okay so I've had a blackstar ht5r and orange 2x12 for a few months now, and to me it sounds like some one put a blanket over it. It's aweful. I read that speakers need to break in but the tone hasn't gotten any better sense October when I bought it (and I play a lot). I got an MXR 10 band eq and that helped a lot, but I'd like to figure out why they balckstar sounds so bad by its self. So is there anything I can do to see what wrong? I only have 1 amp and 1 cab . Could it be the speaker cable? I honestly have no idea.
Have you tried a different guitar?(different cables between guitar and amp, amp and cab?) What are your amp settings?

Past that you can take the head to a guitar store like GC and ask to test it on a cab to see which one you like and then see if it is still muffled.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I've tried differnt guitars and guitar cables but I only have one speaker cable :/
For setting I boost the mids to 1o'clockish and treble 3 o'clock and bass 12o'clock. But I've tried all kinds of setting and nothing helps
I highly doubt it. For a quick test you an use a guitar "instrument" cable. Just don't crank it too loud.

Do you have a GC close to you? drag your head in and test it out on a cab there. If you have the same muffle with the different cab and cable it's in your head(the amp head that is).

Unless you have friends with guitar gear and can monkey around with swapping items.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
That's what I thought. I'll take it to GC this weekend when I go to fix my drums
i am not being a total ass, but the HT5 series isn't one of the most articulate amps. check tube(s) i think there is two i don't remember. maybe you just heard something and are evolving for another amp. not hating or anything, and yes i have played the combo version through my own wolfgang. wasn't a fan.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do you have any other pedals in between the guitar and amp?

If you do, does the sound improve if you just connect the guitar directly to the amp with no pedals in the chain?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am not being a total ass, but the HT5 series isn't one of the most articulate amps. check tube(s) i think there is two i don't remember. maybe you just heard something and are evolving for another amp. not hating or anything, and yes i have played the combo version through my own wolfgang. wasn't a fan.
I second this.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I had a HT-5 for a couple of days and it's really just not that good. My advice - sell it and get a JCA22H, best decision I ever made.

Just my 2 cents...
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Going straight from my guitar to the amp dosent help. I've heard videos of the amp and they sound nothing like mine. But I am looking to buy a new amp because I'm starting to play with my band and the blackstars a little quiet... and I really want a Marshall
Okay guys I just plugged my blackstar effects loop send into the effects loop return of my fender fm212r. Needless to say the sound was much better with no muffled sound at all! So this means there a problem with my Orange cab right? Or could it be the power tube from my blackstar maybe? Anyway I'm still going to bring everything to guitar center this weekend for some help.
^ you probably just don't like your speakers then.
To be sure, plug the blackstar in another cab.
You could make a cable to connect it to the fender's speakers, or yeah, you could go to GC and try it with some cabs there to see if you like the sound more.

I don't think it's the power tube anyway.
As far as my knowledge goes the HT5 has 2 tubes and none of them are proper power tubes.
I mean it's a 12BH7, those tubes are mostly used for pres and they're kinda unlikely to go wrong.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.