Hey guys, I've been playing for a couple of years now and I only have my metal muff distortion... I think it's time to up the game for another one xD

Anyways, I'm no pro, and I play with friends from high school, so I don't need anything SUPER GREAT and SUPER EXPENSIVE. I'm looking for something that's pretty much good, delivers wells and has a good price, get me? I know, I know, If I want the best, then it's not cheap, but like I said I just want something to have fun with and still being able to play some good songs without making them sound bad because of the pedal.

So, this friend of mine told me to try the Behringer ones but I'm not sure yet, what's your opinion on Behringer? Any other brand you might think of? the price range can go until, let's say $40, new OR used, I don't mind getting one used as long as it works well.

I'm looking for a pedal to have fun with, so probably a chorus, delay, or phaser one.

Thanks!!
R.I.P. Dio, always in our hearts

Rock and Metal are my passions!

Favs, Band - Iron Maiden, Vocals - Dio, Guitar - Paul Gilbert, Drums - Mike Portnoy, Bass - Billy Sheehan.
no. run away. bad.

what is the $40 budgeted in?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
for an amp, peavy is almost always a good option. whether high gain or from the classic series, or XXX JSX and 6505+. they changed the names for the XXXX JSX and changed things up a bit.

their modeling is great (vypyr) especially the vypyr tube.

no i am not a fanboy. i don't even own anything peavey than i can think of. just a good company.

+1 to mulefish, however i don't think any of them are overly durable and roadworthy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 30, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup

no i am not a fanboy. i don't even own anything peavey than i can think of. just a good company.

I love how people are so adverse to honest advice that we have to defend ourselves for giving it...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I love how people are so adverse to honest advice that we have to defend ourselves for giving it...

i know. it is stupid but i am sure some little pinfish is going to ATTEMPT to stab me in the ass.

my point was just saying i like them because i own them. that says different than somebody saying OMG that 6505+ is HAWT i bought it last week.

am a little bit of a splawn fanboi maybe. but maybe a $950 for a promod with fresh tubes in and old set of tubes. or the Nitro popping $1050. you can't touch those amps for that. so yea i like them. but i don't parade, i post splawn when it fits, not every time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Look for used Ibanez "7" series pedals. They're great. Especially the delay, and the chorus/flanger one. But just a heads up I think their prices might be super inflated right now. Word got out, I guess.

EDIT: Here's a CF7 (Chorus Flanger) for $35. I'd jump on it, it probably won't last. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-CF-7-109890336-i3614856.gc

Do you have $40 per pedal, or $40 total? If you can get $100 (plus $15 or so for tax/shipping), you can get a Line 6 M5. An M5 for ~$100 can easily make my top 10 list of best deals you can get. You can only use one effect at a time, which is a downside, but the amount of effects and the quality of the effects for the price balances it out. The delay in particular is great, and the reverb is pretty good as well. I use an M9 myself.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-M5-STOMPBOX-MODELER-109522034-i3402410.gc

If you want delay, I can nearly guarantee you won't find anything better for the money. Though admittedly the TC Flashback and the Hardwire DL-8 are very good delays for around the same price. But they're only delays.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 30, 2014,
Behringer pedals, being usually clones of boss pedals, are fine and dandy for bedroom players. Though they do tend to sound worse than their boss counterparts and build quality is shit. The plastic shell is very strong but parts are not even on normal use. My hm300 is dead now. Id rather check Joyo pedals.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 30, 2014,
Most Behringer pedals are made out of plastic, i think. Given that the way you activate is to stomp on them means they might not last very long.

Joyo pedals are almost as cheap but in solid steel casing so SHOULD last a lot longer.

The question is, do you NEED a new pedal right away? Or could you hold off, save up a little more money and get something a bit better in a few months time?
I've been using this Behringer DR400 I got for free as my main reverb for like 3 months now, and the guy I got it from had it for a long time before me. It's actually a pretty solid delay/reverb. I've had zero complaints so far. hahaha. I am beyond surprised by it.
Quote by Offworld92

well considering that you do often have to hear that your advice is somehow biased or wrong from the folks asking I think you end up doing this.

I often recommend what I use and won't apologize for it. as long as the recommendation is appropriate for the ? then why wouldn't you. I'd hope that after 30+ years of playing that I might know a bit about gear (god knows I've been through enough of it).

anyways OP while I understand being broke I'd consider upping the budget some to give yourself better options. I can't afford boutique pedals but for instance $65 will get you an EH Small Stone phaser which are used by many pros. a $40 delay isn't going to be any good so figure on $100. seems like a lot to spend I know but a good pedal can last many years ( istill have my DOD FX65 chorus that I bought in 1985 which works just fine).
Quote by LivinJoke84
Most Behringer pedals are made out of plastic, i think. Given that the way you activate is to stomp on them means they might not last very long.

Joyo pedals are almost as cheap but in solid steel casing so SHOULD last a lot longer.

The question is, do you NEED a new pedal right away? Or could you hold off, save up a little more money and get something a bit better in a few months time?

Oh the plastic isnt the problem. Its strong enough that you can smash it into a concrete wall. But the same cannot be said from the knobs and insides.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If you happened to be in my area, I have a JOYO Digital Delay I could part with for like $20
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
if you save alittle you can probably get a used line 6 pod pedal, i love the pods, great for everything and you'll have a blast
Guitars:
Agile Interceptor Pro 828
Martin and Fender acoustics

Amp:
Bias amps
Behringer pedals are hit and miss. Some of them are actually decent, some of them are utter turds. It's kind of a case by case basis. I would stay away from any of their OD's/Distortions, but some of the modulation effects (delays, chorus, etc) aren't bad.

The Hellbabe wah is, IMO, one of their best pedals, and I actually still use one. I had a Crybaby Classic shit the bed on me a day before a gig about 5 years ago. I picked up the Hellbabe on the cheap because I needed a wah that would be a band-aid until I could buy a better one. Well, 5+ years later, I still haven't bought another wah because the Hellbabe has been reliable and fits my needs great.

In the past I've also used a Behringer 7-band EQ and their Vintage Delay. Both served their purposes well. Other than the delay, which is only used to add a touch of delay to fatten up my tone in a dry room, the Wah and EQ have been a part of my board for hundreds of gigs (although I haven't used the EQ live in ~3years). I've never experienced any sort of technical failure with any of them.

Now obviously, Behringer isn't making the best pedals in the world by any means. But, certain models they produce are good options if you're on a budget, and/or need a pedal for just a few certain purposes and don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

TS, if you're looking to experiment with effects, you may look into a multi-effects unit as well.

Edit: I take for granted that I have a local store that carries some Behringer pedals, so I get to try before I buy. I probably wouldn't buy any online, with the exception of the Hellbabe wah.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Jan 30, 2014,
NO. i say no. i say look in guitar center online, amazon, in teh used sections and buy BOSS or other brands where an 80-100 dollar pedal may be had for 40-50.

i have had nothing but a bad experience from behringer.

or other cheap pedals like joyo, mooer, modtone, mxr, blackstar, electro harmonix are all making new pedals in the 50-80 range.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Never used Behringer myself, but only because I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Depending on your amp and guitar, look into the Boss DS-1. There's a reason it's been around for so long. Its plain and simple and less expensive than a lot of other pedals out there ($50, i think?) I play an Ibanez when i'm tuned down and an SG for standard thru a Tiny Terror. Tried so many pedals through them and a Tube Screamer, Zack Wilde something or other, and the DS-1 were what i narrowed it down to, but honestly to me, the DS-1 sounded the best with my setup. Check em out and be sure to trust your ears, not what everyone elses
Last edited by TheBigDirty716 at Jan 30, 2014,
I'd say go Boss. the pedals a fairly cheap, but the quality is usually sufficient that you won't need to change them out until you decide to go high-end.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!