If anything, this is great news for original Axe II owners. The release of the XL assures us that there isn't going to be a III out anytime soon, so we will keep on getting juicy updates for a couple of years or so, until the III is finally revealed!
To me, the features of the XL isn't worth the extra cost, so it's definitely a win-win situation
It looks too much like work...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Tech moves on fast, something like that will be worthless in 10 years, a good tube amp will be worth close to the same. Gotta live with that
i disagree. HIGH QUALITY tube amps will probably retain their value, just like antique furniture. always demand for that.

regular old junk? oh yeah worthless. my egnater tweaker 40 will be a doorstop in a few years
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
All these digital amps/preamps are just great bit expensive door stops...
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Tubes will never be recreated using an algorithm. They simply don't work like that

I mean eventually, I suppose, its possible. Not anytime soon. Either way I think we'll will still have enthusiasts.

Can you imagine what a tweed Fender will be going for in 100 years?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jan 30, 2014,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Tubes will never be recreated using an algorithm. They simply don't work like that

I mean eventually, I suppose, its possible. Not anytime soon. Either way I think we'll will still have enthusiasts.

I think you underestimate technology and it's rate of advancement. The AxeFx does a pretty darn good job of it in it's current state (I don't have one, but I have heard them and played through one before). Modern modeling algorithms (not just amp modeling) are pretty freaking impressive and are constantly getting better.

Will it ever replace the tube amp? Probably not, likely more for nostalgic reasons than anything; but, it's becoming increasingly clear that digital amps are a viable and great sounding option for a musician. Just my $0.02.

Also, I don't want to see that price tag
+1
Quote by ikey_
i disagree. HIGH QUALITY tube amps will probably retain their value, just like antique furniture. always demand for that.

regular old junk? oh yeah worthless. my egnater tweaker 40 will be a doorstop in a few years

+1 Tempoe
Tech moves on fast, something like that will be worthless in 10 years, a good tube amp will be worth close to the same. Gotta live with that

i totally agree. thats why i buy cheap computers, if i can get three or four years out of a competent $$300-400 lap top i am happy. then i get whats current and new. that is why i don't have a $4k recording computer with out the additional stuff i need for my studio. it will be best planned, but i will wait until last so it doesn't out date in the middle. my humble opinion.

flameshield activated.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i totally agree. thats why i buy cheap computers, if i can get three or four years out of a competent $$300-400 lap top i am happy. then i get whats current and new. that is why i don't have a $4k recording computer with out the additional stuff i need for my studio. it will be best planned, but i will wait until last so it doesn't out date in the middle. my humble opinion.

flameshield activated.

Eh, I dunno that this is directly related, honestly. I built my computer for ~$800 and it will kill a maxed out iMac or last-gen Mac Pro. Buying a $4k is just silly, unless you're running extensive video editing on it.

Realistically, with these units, you're paying for the software, not really the hardware. Sure, as the software gets more sophisticated, it'll need more powerful hardware, but if the software was built to run on a computer, there'd be no need for the hardware. The hardware is only there so they can justify marking up the price and safeguard from piracy. When you're investing money in an Axe-FX you're investing in it as a software company, which just so happens to only run on proprietary hardware.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eh, I dunno that this is directly related, honestly. I built my computer for ~$800 and it will kill a maxed out iMac or last-gen Mac Pro. Buying a $4k is just silly, unless you're running extensive video editing on it.

Realistically, with these units, you're paying for the software, not really the hardware. Sure, as the software gets more sophisticated, it'll need more powerful hardware, but if the software was built to run on a computer, there'd be no need for the hardware. The hardware is only there so they can justify marking up the price and safeguard from piracy. When you're investing money in an Axe-FX you're investing in it as a software company, which just so happens to only run on proprietary hardware.

i am not going to argue, but i think i may have come off wrong on what i said. i don't know much about computers, but i stay up with it enough to know what is what.

i don't build computers either.

ever built a 540BBC? or thrown a kenne bell with self P&P'd 4.6L mustang? or things to dozens more cars?

i do have full ASE certifications, as well an MBA. the most i will do with cars anymore thouogh shy of an investment into a shop i won't work on them, but will always keep ASE's updated.

point is people do different things. i imagine when something is wrong with your car you probably bring it in. i throw mine on a lift. i sold my speed shop a few years ago. now i have a different business and am in the middle of another.

When you're investing money in an Axe-FX you're investing in it as a software company

yea and updates aren't free (windows 2000, XP, 7, 8.1). you invest one way or another in axe just like windows or mac, right? you may be able to be one or two, but then the hardware is incompetent. but is that not different?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 31, 2014,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

There are audiophiles who insist that reel-to-reel is still the only way to get the real skinny on a dynamic performance. Same folks buy exotic turntables with thousand dollar cartridges mounted on carbon fiber arms and have incredibly expensive gold plated tube amps built to power tens of grands worth of speaker cabinets in specially designed rooms. They swear that it's the only way that a performance can be faithfully recreated. Maybe so.

Tubes can easily be recreated using an algorithm. You can recreate virtually every characteristic about a tube that means anything sonically. Dive deeply enough in to the tweaks available on an Axe and it's all there, and as DSP power increases, it'll become ever more finally defined. It's to the point already where you can duplicate not just a brand or a specific amp model within a brand, but a specific amp, period.

The only question here is price point. Axe is slotted in at a price point i the $2-3K range. Line 6 does an awesome job at the $399 retail price of its Pod HD Bean (the HD500 and HD Pro Rack are more expensive due to increased switching, form factor and I/O options, not because they add anything to the sound). And Korg has amazing things built into the $99 Pandora Mini.

As things stand, given the top end of things, it truly takes dog ears to hear a difference, and you need a listening environment that allows those dog ears to work. It's not going to happen in a bedroom, in a live performance with other musicians or on a digital recording.
Quote by dspellman
It's to the point already where you can duplicate not just a brand or a specific amp model within a brand, but a specific amp, period.

look out kemper.
With the studio quality recording setups that bedroom musicians don't have something like the Axe-FX II demonstrates potential for superior recordings in my book. Periphery's Icarus EP is a good example of this.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It looks too much like work...

LOL!
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Emperor's Child
With the studio quality recording setups that bedroom musicians don't have something like the Axe-FX II demonstrates potential for superior recordings in my book. Periphery's Icarus EP is a good example of this.

Eh, I would never use an Axe-FX on my recordings, unless I was specifically going for that djent tone. While these ARE great recording tools... for the price of one, you could easily pick up several real amps. I find the Axe-FX to be the most convenient for live usage, more than anything
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com