Hello guys (and girls),

Well my birthday is coming up and I've been looking around
for a new tube amp head.
I mainly play blues and rock so I won't be needing metal-like amounts of gain.
As you can see in my signature I already own 1W tube amp with a really nice sounding 1x12 cabinet so I'll be mainly looking for a small wattage head.
One of the main reasons I want to buy a new amp is because (though I like the sound of the 1W Killer Ant) the KA tends to distort really fast and sometimes I just want a nice clean/bluesy tone at an acceptable volume without it distorting.

My choices so far are (in no particular order of preference).

VOX AC4TV
Ibanez TSA15H
Orange Micro Terror
Used Orange Tiny Terror.
H&K Tubemeister TM5
Blackstar HT-5H

The closest store only has the Vox and Micro/Tiny Terror in stock.
I don't want to the amplifier to burn a hole in my pocket so I would say the Tubemeister is kinda my budget limit (350 euros).

If anyone owns one of these amps (combo/head) please tell me your experiences so I can narrow down my choices .

Big thanks in advance!
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
I don't think any of those are going to give you much headroom over what you have . You need an amp with a large power section to get headroom at band volume, you should be looking for something at least 50W.

I'm not in the UK so I can't give any recommendations within a given budget, I'm not sure what gear prices are like over there. Another one of the regulars can definitely help out though

EDIT: What do you mean by "reasonable volume"?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 30, 2014,
Quote by Flux'D
I'm not in the UK

You mean EU right? We don't use Euros in the UK very often.

But as Flux said, those lower wattage amps are essentially made to break up at low volumes. Wattage isn't so much about max volume, but about what volume level the tubes start to break up. 50w+ would be the way to go. Could probably get away with 30w.
Silverburst
Have you tried any of those in person? I agree with Flux, not A LOT of head room is not going to go on in those choices, except perhaps the Ibanez - but I personally think that the amp sound really clinical and meh. Since you seem to like the AC4TV, is an AC15 on the used market an option? Those things have a surprising amount of headroom and do great blues/rock tones, might be down your alley. Out of those on your list though, I'd actually hit up the tiny terror. Although it's based on the rockerverb gain circuit (I think - correct me if I'm wrong) I actually thought the cleans that it can do are pretty cool, and needless to say it pulls of rock pretty well - depending on your style of rock.
The only low-wattage high headroom amplifier I've ever encountered was the Dr Z M12. A used classic 50 might be a sollution, or even a Bugera V55 (least problems Bugera series).
I'm with Flux'd. I can't see any of those having tons of headroom- though it depends on your definition of "acceptable volume". At my usual home practising volumes, most 5 watters would still be clean for me.

if you do want more wattage/headroom, though, maybe: http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5212rc.htm

i haven't tried that one but allegedly it's less modern-sounding than the high gain jet cities. 40 euros over budget, so if you really can't stretch, no worries, but I thought I'd mention it in case you could.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Insanity ninja
You mean EU right? We don't use Euros in the UK very often
I thought I saw a GBP symbol somewhere , apologies
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^^^^ that's the jim root terror.
The tiny terror is an orange and it still has the british orange sound, though it's supposed to sound different from the RV.

Edit: **** I've been ninja'd not one, not two but three times :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 30, 2014,
Quote by Flux'D
EDIT: What do you mean by "reasonable volume"?

By reasonable volume I mean a clean tone at living room/bedroom/small pub kind of areas.
I've been listening to youtube reviews for most of the amps listed above and so far I'm really impressed (IMO) with the Ibanez& H&KTubemeister cleans.
I really appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me.

Think I'll have to travel around a bit testing the amps in person.
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
If you're not mic'd up, I doubt any of these amps are gonna give you clean cleans in a pub, though for the bedroom/living room, 5w are enough.
Well at least they're enough with my amp which is a Blackheart BH5.
Have you considered that?
Or maybe a Blackheart BH15, that's still pretty damn cheap.

For the sake of convenience, I'd either get a Jet City JCA22H or a Bugera V55.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
If you're not mic'd up, I doubt any of these amps are gonna give you clean cleans in a pub, though for the bedroom/living room, 5w are enough.

That's what I'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
More Wattage = More Headroom

A low wattage amp with high headroom is basically an oxymoron. Simply doesn't exist unless you're playing solid state. Basically what I'm saying is that unless you're playing really REALLY quietly not a single one of those amps is going to stay clean.
I'm a big fan of Egnater amps. Although they're a bit more expensive you could look at the Tweaker or the Rebel-Series. They got great cleans enough gain to go into Hardrock/early Heavy Metal territory.
Quote by icronic
More Wattage = More Headroom

A low wattage amp with high headroom is basically an oxymoron. Simply doesn't exist unless you're playing solid state.
Not even then, actually.
Quote by icronic
Basically what I'm saying is that unless you're playing really REALLY quietly not a single one of those amps is going to stay clean.
It's not that quiet.
My 5w amp can stay clean at a level higher than me shouting as loud as I can.
Wouldn't do for a pub, but for a bedroom you most likely have clean volume aplenty.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Jet City JCA2112 combo should work for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate