Hi, I'm covering a lot of tool songs lately and I am looking for a pedal that can simulate Adam Jones' beefy, high gain sound. I have tried with both a Big Muff and MXR Fullbore Metal. The main issue with these pedals is that I cannot get a decent "clean" sound when I turn down the volume on my guitar. Also the big muff is just not gain-y enough at the volumes I am playing (I live in a small apartment).

What would you guys recommend?

Also, in case you are wondering I am playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Vox AD30VT.
Quote by Radiohead293
Vox AD30VT.

There's your problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
The third channel on a Diezel VH4.

Really, you're not going to be able to get Jones' sound just by throwing a distortion in front of a modelling amp. You would probably be best of saving up some money until you can afford a new (tube) amp.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by Fishybones
The third channel on a Diezel VH4.
It's true.
I played my cheap tele through a VH4's third channel and it did sound like tool, even though that's a cheap tele.

You just need more clarity.
How do you get more clarity?
You get a guitar with good quality pickups with a reasonably medium output, and an amps with transformers bigger than said guitar.

It's the amp mostly.
You can get there with a general sounding distortion, I can get to something like that with an amp sim and lotsa processing before that and after that, though to get THAT sound you necessarily want clarity, to reach which you either need to make practice with expensive amp sims and good pickups, or an amp with enormous transofrmers, of which the VH4 is ideal because it has enormous transformers AND it's used by Adam Jones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into a new amp... Do you guys have any suggestions for an apartment-dwelling college student? I looked up the Diezel VH 4 and it is far out of my price range. Is there anything under $500 that could get the job done? (doesn't have to be perfect).

Again, thanks for helping me out!
doesnt adam jones use like 4 different heads to get his sound?
Guitars:
Agile Interceptor Pro 828
Martin and Fender acoustics

Amp:
Bias amps
a Marshall Super Bass and a Diezel VH4
Guitars:

Amp:
Bias amps
Quote by PantallicaFreak
this might help as well

Adam Jones Gear

Awesome link, thanks. I was glad to find out that I use the same kind of strings as he does! I only wish I could afford his amp setup; any idea what could get close on a budget?
Quote by Radiohead293
Awesome link, thanks. I was glad to find out that I use the same kind of strings as he does! I only wish I could afford his amp setup; any idea what could get close on a budget?

dont we all lol but no i honestly have no idea, i mean i use a line6 pod hd pro and im sure it could brew up something similar but im not sure

if you can get your hands on a pod hd pro for cheap this guy says hes made a good patch for adam jones HERE
Guitars:

Amp:
Bias amps
Last edited by PantallicaFreak at Jan 30, 2014,
the way i get an adam jones tone is by using the crunch channel of my xxx set to quite low gain, then boosting it with my ehx soul food set to just a little gain. his tone isn't overly gainy, especially his rhythm parts.
Quote by PantallicaFreak
dont we all lol but no i honestly have no idea, i mean i use a line6 pod hd pro and im sure it could brew up something similar but im not sure

if you can get your hands on a pod hd pro for cheap this guy says hes made a good patch for adam jones HERE
If you gotta get a pod and you don't need the rack mounting or the mic pres, get the HD500X.
Something like $300 less for the same thing with more buttons, though no pres and no rackmountablility.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.