I found this amp (Peavey VK 112) for about $180, but there is some stuff wrong with it. I emailed the store and they said this.
Input one is sheered off, the bulb cover is missing and the controls are pretty loose. Other than that it is fully functional. Cosmetically pretty rough in terms discoloration of the grille cloth and some tears on the tolex.

Does it seem like a fair deal/worth $100 less? I could pay 100 more for the same amp but better condition, but $180 is all my money right now, I could get some more. Is the input fixable?

Thanks! Here is an image.
Last edited by 457undead at Jan 30, 2014,
The real question is, what else is wrong with it? Typically something that has been abused doesn't work out well. Rips in the tolex is one thing, but something that has been completely abused is another
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I used to have a Valveking 112.

The issues brought up seem minor.

You would run the guitar in the second input jack anyway (better tone there).

Play it and if it sounds fine and works fine otherwise, I'd say it is a good amp for the money.

------on the other hand

Now, if the controls feel loose and a jack was sheared off it makes you wonder what this amp has been through. It could be an indicator of bigger more serious problems down the road.

Also, these amps really only shine with a speaker swap, an OD pedal out front, an EQ pedal in the loop, and some better tubes.

Some consider this amp a money pit.

I ended up selling mine - but overall it is a decent amp.

Not sure if that helps your makes it harder
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 30, 2014,
Are you in the US? VKs go for $200 all day long easy. $180 for a POS one is an awful deal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes I am in the US, but shipping will cost me another 50 bucks, I found this in a local shop.
I don't need it shipped, he said VK 112s go for about 200$ but not locally, I can only find those deals on Ebay. But ill start over anyway.

I would say 250, but if I really need to I can spend 300.
Rock, Grunge, possibly some blues. SRV to Metallica to Foo Fighters.
Used, so I can get a cheap tube amp.
Gigging, Yes.
Ill just say Minneapolis MN area, anywhere within a 30 mile radius
Well, right now I'm playing my guitar out of a 10w bass amp which sucks, I also have a 96 mexican fender strat. also Boss ds-1 distortion pedal.
Look fir a used Peavey Ultra combo. May cost a little more, but it's way better than the Valveking. The repairs on that amp are easy and cheap if you know how to do them yourself. If you pay anyone, it'll add $100 minimum.
There are 2 fully functional VK1x12's for $199 at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and you get a 30 day return policy
There is also a Peavey Ultra 1x12 for $250

$180 is too much for that, $100 is all I would pay in the condition it is in
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got a near-perfect condition Valveking 112 for $100, there's no way that it's worth $180.

I think a VK would work for you, but you absolutely need a new speaker. The stock really is terrible. An EQ pedal is really a huge help too, and new tubes are worth it.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Unless he can mod an amp, the peavey Windsor studio is pretty bad stock

The Vypyr tube 60 is the best of that lot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Everybody, Thanks so much again. I guess I have to do more research. do you think that the damaged vk I first mentioned is worth $150? It would take me awhile to make the 300 for the Vypyr. How would I go about fixing the input?
Man I just wouldn't get it at all. Trust me, as a former VK owner, you'll be much happier saving up to $250 and getting something like has been suggested if you have something serviceable now. A beat to hell amp can quickly become a money pit.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by 457undead
Everybody, Thanks so much again. I guess I have to do more research. do you think that the damaged vk I first mentioned is worth $150? It would take me awhile to make the 300 for the Vypyr. How would I go about fixing the input?

You would need to solder the wires back onto something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Style-Black-Front-Stereo-Guitar-Amp-Effects-Pedal-Input-Jack-Repair-DIY-/370681014840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564e4f6a38

But like I said, you don't even need that jack. Use the second one.

I'd be more concerned about the VK for the other things mentioned:

loose controls (may have been beat to hell)
bad speaker (ask them what speaker it has)
Needs an OD and EQ pedal (do you have those) (true with lots of amps actually)
Could need new tubes (true with lots of amps actually)

From someone who has owned the Valveking and the Vypyr 60, the Vypyr 60 blows it out of the water imo, especially for metal. Oh, and it has a headphone jack. You can find them used starting at $250

Go to guitarcenter.com and then 'locations' down at the bottom. Find your local stores. Click on a store one at a time and then search on Used gear. Select 'High to Low' and go to your budget range. I just checked all 4 stores and didn't see much but keep checking with them.

Good luck,
I'm not sure, my first guitar amp doesn't have to be the best thing. The Vypyr also isn't fully tube.
Quote by 457undead
I'm not sure, my first guitar amp doesn't have to be the best thing. The Vypyr also isn't fully tube.

yes it is, but have you played one? there are good hybrid and SS amps out there.

think i only have two hybrids and one solid state and ten tube amps, as of recent count.

most prefer tube (as i) but you can't count them out them all the time.

the tube vypyr is a good budget modeling amp. i can't think of a better modeling in the price range.

if that amp has all of that shit, stay away from it. and yes i owned a valveking as well (head probably on a Randall 2x12"+1x15 combation cab with T75's on top and a 15" eminence legend on the bottom.) i don't really remember much, but the cleans were nice, but you do have to throw a bit of cash into it to get something decent tone wise out of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 457undead

Ask yourself this - are you hung up on that Valveking just because it's a tube amp? If that is the case, you're making a big mistake, just because if an amp is a tube amp, it doesn't mean it automatically owns every SS amp out there. Modelers like Vypyr will mimic big tube amps (like jcm 800, 6505) pretty good, especially on bedroom levels. If needed, they can be mic'd.
I had a Valveking, what I can tell you is - it's a great amp, BUT!
It is definitely a money pit, and even if you throw into it enough to buy a different, possibly a better one, there's no guarantee you'll like the end result. I did everything short of modding the inner circuitry, it was a dead end for me. Didn't like it.
As for the musical genres you mention, it will cover barely 50% of what you want anyway. It will do blues (the only area in which this amp excels imo), it will pull off SRV, it does so-so rock (got out some ok sounding ac-dc tone out of it when cranked, albeit with a pedal and other stuff), it will not even touch Foo Fighters, much less Metallica.
Overall, I think it's a pretty bland amp.

My advice? Set up a camp in your local GC or similar store over the weekend and test every amp you can get your hands on that 311ZOSOVHJH linked. Probably not the advice you'd like to hear, but an honest one. And use your EARS, don't judge the amp based on the fact whether or not it's a tube.
Look for Jet City JCA2212C. It's a great value amp that'll do what you want really well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ynnednnud
+1 for 311ZOSOVHJH's craigslist find on this amp
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/msg/4312376653.html

-1 my friend owned one for a while after he got out of rehab. he didn't have the short board, which is a near necessary thing to have with it, but i think thats a little high for something mediocre. it wasn't terrible, but he hated it.

you can do better for $250 but if you are looking through 311's list it is the best deal. either hold on or jump in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/