Hey, I've been having really bad time with playing for few months, since my band broke up. Why? I realized that I can't play guitar The problem is that from the very beginning I've been playing metal, last 3 years spent in a metalcore band just put me into simple schemes and killed my creativity. I want to start over from nothing and learn theory, scales, improvisation, notes, this kind of things. I find it really disturbing that I don't know what to do (beside using my ears and guessing) when I have to jam with someone. I would be really grateful for all advices, links, lessons and so on is what I need. Thanks in advance
If you really wanna learn theory, I'd say your best bet is to buy a theory book. I'm taking it as a college course right now, but if you have more self-discipline than I do you could learn it just from the book. It won't make you an instant pro writer, in fact it would probably take quite a while (that's why it's a college course) but the knowledge is extremely valuable if you're trying to write your own music.
It's terribly easy to fall into a formula when playing rock music. Sometimes I feel like 95% of it is all the same song restructured. If you don't want to spend time learning from a book - try and find a new rock genre you haven't listened to before. New perspectives breed new ideas.
Another idea would be to take lessons from someone. Books are great, and so are classes. Learning theory one-on-one from someone, and having them show you the practical application of it in the music you're learning is invaluable.

A good start is drawing out a fretboard and filling in the notes to get a feel of what notes are where. As you learn the keys and what notes are in it, you can get a feel for where you can play in any given key.
Oh, yeah, duh, if you can get a tutor who teaches more than Metallica that'll do you a LOT of good. You won't really know unless you get some reviews or take a lesson from them, but if they're real musicians and not just guys who make money teaching kids their favorite songs you stand to learn a lot.

I'm probably not the first to say, it's not all about shredding and regurgitating what someone else wrote, or wrote the foundations for you to play off of.
lessons cause too much .wanna learn how to play listen to bands from the 60's 70's led zeppelin.-beatles-rolling stones-the who-non of this same e and a string play power chords dam it man they played chords thank you mommie for youre great records
Thanks for everything guys Actually, I know all notes on fretboard, so this is a good beginning, I guess I bought a new guitar few days ago, an oldschool Telecaster, set it up in standard tuning, it will be my learning tool. According to lessons - I live in small town in north-eastern Poland, we have ONE music shop, so good tutor isn't something easy to find here But earlier today I talked to guys that I sometimes play with (bunch of old bluesman ) and they told me that first important thing is to know the notation, how to read and write it. Seems a little hard, but I will try that. And finally, about books - there are so many to buy online, I can't choose the right one. I'm also looking for some nice youtube lessons, always more interesting way than a book. I will try to nail a song or two from different genres than usual, maybe some Hendrix and some classic rock.
Well done for making the decision to do this, it will make a world of difference to your playing. I wrote a little article on the importance of theory http://stuartbahn.com/why-learn-music-theory/ but really the best way is to take lessons from someone that really knows their stuff. Theory can be very dry work so having a steady flow of relevant practical application from someone is a big help.
You already have some great answers here but I'll inject my two cents because this is an important topic. The question becomes do you want to be a "rock", "metal" or whatever guitar player or do you want to be a musician. It seems you have made that decision. I love playing guitar and like everyone I enjoy playing some types of music a lort more than others. I also decided some time ago that I want to be an all round guitar player not just a rock guitarist with a limited ability. Now I take every opportunity to play any type of music. Yes, I stumble through learning new stuff a lot of times but each time I play some style I am not that familiar with I feel I have progressed as a guitaist and a musician. I suggest you find a book that contains both scales and the chords that work with those scales. Some books are just chord books and some are just scale books but there are books that tie it all together and give you chord patterns then show you what scales work best with those chords. I recomend those kind of books. Books rather than videos also let you learn at your own pace. Yes, it's a lot of hard work but you sound ready for that. Good luck.
Oh god, I just looked up the theory book I'm using - those things are bloody expensive. Well, if you need a little direction I'm using Tonal Harmony 7th edition. Explains very clearly and simply, looks like you can pick one up used for relatively cheap. You'll want to get one without writing in it, though - so you can test yourself to make sure you understand.

And, I'm not usually one to push my favorite music on people, but, coming from metalcore... Haken might be a good and somewhat familiar thing to look into. Now THAT is creativity.
I've checked possible teachers, and as I aim high and want to learn a lot, the only one that represents challenging level in my opinion is far too expensive fore me (1 hour costs as much as I earn daily ), the others are rather amateurish, without complex knowledge and outstanding technique. So teacher is out of question.
I will try some books I guess
@Rickholly74 - can you tell me the author and name of the book? I will search on eBay.
Also, I started to work out some songs that I like from totally different genres, having some problems, but it's really refreshing and quite helpful I believe
I have a pile of books collected over many years. Most I wouldn't even give you..too confusing. The single best book is about $16 new.."Everything About Chords" by Wilbur Savage is hands down the best. You take it at your own pace & I read through it about once a year or so to stay on top of my game. "Everything About Scales" is also good!
The great news is you can be embarking on an amazing rewarding learning journey that can last a lifetime..your choice~! BTW be sure & record your playing as you progress to KNOW what you sound REALLY like. Best wishes!
My advice to you is this:

learn theory in context. This means when you learn a scale, or mode of that scale, learn a song or solo that uses it. Learning scales in a vacuum is a terrible way to learn theory.
Music theory is ambiguous, in most usage it means harmony theory from the 18th into 19th century with Equal Temperment. One might think of that as a backbone, but doesn't serve the late 19th cent onwards very well. There are many fine places on the web that will help in that study, including lots of great older books the Internet Archive (Tchaikovsky's book anyone?). Try googling specific terms, like Subdominant etc. Teachers might help to keep the big boxes out of the small ones, spending too much time with the wrong framework, etc but it's touch and go in the complexity involved yet a really good teacher might save many many hours of misdirection. The main thing is to understand what "Tonal Music" is all about and how that relates to more modern music, also the big changes in theory since the motherloads from the 80's on and some important advances going back to the 50's.

Good Luck