Need some help on handling a situation with one of my guitarists. So this is a relatively new band, currently it is only me (the drummer) and two guitarists. We lost the other members and have been searching for replacements for a while. It seems like lately one of the guitarists is trying to make it "his" band. When we first got together he brought some songs that he had written solo. I had no problem playing them and they weren't bad, but I always figured once those ran out we would move on to writing together. When we try and write new stuff, it's always his idea that he seems to go with, even though I and the other guitarist bring riffs in, we never seem to work on them. That is kind of the start.

Since we are without a singer, and the one guitarist will be doing backups, I suggested that he should just record all the vocals for now, so at least we have some demos. Now I have a full recording studio in my home, we practice there, I have a live room and a vocal room, I do charge people for recordings, I went to school for it, etc. I know my stuff and have the right equipment. So we record drums at my place. But he insists on using his crappy line-6 tone port or whatever to do guitars. Now I'll admit the tone isn't bad, but I've always been partial to micing an amp and using a real microphone. Also using my preamps, interface, and just better gear. He also refuses to record at my place, he says he is more "in the zone" at his place and so he must record at his place and send me the files. However, he also goes ahead and records the other guys guitar parts, and bass using his bad equipment. Back to the vocals. We do some recording at my place, and they come out pretty good, not great but it's more of a performance issue to be honest. Anyways from my perspective we have this one song more or less finished. But he decides to tell me he bought a mic himself and wants to redo vocals at his place. He finishes them and says they sound great, much better than the old vocals. So he brings them in for me to hear. Before I listen I ask him what mic he bought. "Some no name mic from Best Buy." The vocals sound awful I think, it sounds like his performance was better, but the mic and the effects from his tone-port which he recorded onto the track sound like absolute shite. He aggressively denies it, and says I don't know what I am talking about.

I'm not sure what to do. I brought up the fact that it has turned into us all just recording our parts separate, and not really as a band. Also, that I have to mix the song, and the ways he is trying to give me the tracks I cannot mix correctly, (all the guitars together on one track). On top of this we usually practice Sunday mornings, and he is usually 30 min to an hour late and hungover. I've been tolerating him, but I can only take so much. The other guitarist is so passive that he stays out of everything, and never will give an opinion one way or the other. It's just us three and we've only been together for about 6 months. Most of the time we're fine together, but it's when he makes it all about him, and refuses to anyone else contribute to stuff.
You have to decide if it's ok for you to accept this behaviour or not...I don't think he will change; people who act this way will always be acting like this.

So, kick him or deal with it.

Anyway, I don't think that his preference to use his own stuff for guitar recording is absurd...I mean, it's his tone, let him decide!
But maybe point out he can record it with his tone but at your place for technical reasons (eg. mixing)...so you can help him get the most out of it without forcing him to use equipment he may not like/be used to.

IMO
Quote by Michele_R
You have to decide if it's ok for you to accept this behaviour or not...I don't think he will change; people who act this way will always be acting like this.

So, kick him or deal with it.

Anyway, I don't think that his preference to use his own stuff for guitar recording is absurd...I mean, it's his tone, let him decide!
But maybe point out he can record it with his tone but at your place for technical reasons (eg. mixing)...so you can help him get the most out of it without forcing him to use equipment he may not like/be used to.

IMO

It's not the tone I have a problem with, it's the quality. There is a reason ZERO studios use low quality gear like he is trying. That's like saying I made some cool stuff on Garage band so there is no need to go to a recording studio.
Guy has no idea about recording and mixing by the sounds of it. YOU are mixing the music but he sends you a bounce of 3 guitars? In what world is that useful? You need to school him on recording, some serious words are needed to pull him in line.
Quote by wowlace
Guy has no idea about recording and mixing by the sounds of it. YOU are mixing the music but he sends you a bounce of 3 guitars? In what world is that useful? You need to school him on recording, some serious words are needed to pull him in line.

I've tried to explain to him why this wouldn't work. But it comes back to his ego I guess. He needs to be the one to do all of his recording. In his mind he knows exactly what he is doing and him and I are on equal ground as far as recording knowledge. He thinks almost the opposite of what you'd want from a mixing engineer. He said to me that he put all the guitars at the right level so they sound good, so that is why he should send them together, it will be "easier" for me.

He is not bad at recording or writing or anything. But I think a lot of it has to do with this being his first real band. Before this was all solo stuff, he wrote and recorded everything himself. So now that he has other people with opinions he doesn't seem to want to deal with them.

Since it's only the 3 of us currently, and has been for a few months. Kicking him out would essentially end the band. I think filling out the rest of the lineup would certainly help to even out everyone's involvement, but you know how hard it is to find a good singer
Someone needs to be put in place.....guitarist need to resign in the little center of the universe shoebox they live in until told too play!!! ...they are almost as bad as drummers with their shiny round objects they think are perfect to hit everytime the song needs exentuating....which is basically every 15 seconds according to them.

Do this......#1. Find a frikin singer.....cause nobody cares for drums and guitars making noise. #2 make 2 mixes ...One he does the other you and then put it out for a vote. Unless you have a godgod awful singer 98% of theovte will fall on your mix....the other 2 % are guitarist. Nobody cares about guitar solos and melodic riffs unless they play guitar.....everybody wants to here the vocals.....the rest is just the road for the vehicle to travel on and that road needs to be smooth......mixologi 101.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Last edited by Blackst4r at Feb 1, 2014,
Kick him out. That's it. Guitarists are a dime a dozen anyway. If not, just refuse to mix his parts in, make the other guitarist record them, and i bet one of you can do the vocals just as well. When he's late for practice, just work on your own material. He will either figure out that you are going to get rid of him if he doesnt shape up, or he will flip his shit and quit. So, its a win win situation.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
It doesn't sound like he's a team player unfortunately, and if you got him to get over the recording issue another issue would take its place. You'll have to let him go.

Also this is a really weird problem he has and I don't understand where he's coming from at all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by TNA
I've tried to explain to him why this wouldn't work. But it comes back to his ego I guess. He needs to be the one to do all of his recording. In his mind he knows exactly what he is doing and him and I are on equal ground as far as recording knowledge. He thinks almost the opposite of what you'd want from a mixing engineer. He said to me that he put all the guitars at the right level so they sound good, so that is why he should send them together, it will be "easier" for me.

He is not bad at recording or writing or anything. But I think a lot of it has to do with this being his first real band. Before this was all solo stuff, he wrote and recorded everything himself. So now that he has other people with opinions he doesn't seem to want to deal with them.

Since it's only the 3 of us currently, and has been for a few months. Kicking him out would essentially end the band. I think filling out the rest of the lineup would certainly help to even out everyone's involvement, but you know how hard it is to find a good singer

Yep sounds like a guitarist, thinks he knows it all. Cut him, seriously you're just wasting your time. DO NOT waste your time trying to make idiots who cannot work with others fit into any band. It's just a time sink and at the end you will wish you had moved on earlier.

Guitarists are a dime a dozen. Getting another is easy. Bass and drums, maybe you give them some leeway if their attitude stinks. Not guitarists.
Quote by Blackst4r
Someone needs to be put in place.....guitarist need to resign in the little center of the universe shoebox they live in until told too play!!! ...they are almost as bad as drummers with their shiny round objects they think are perfect to hit everytime the song needs exentuating....which is basically every 15 seconds according to them.

Do this......#1. Find a frikin singer.....cause nobody cares for drums and guitars making noise. #2 make 2 mixes ...One he does the other you and then put it out for a vote. Unless you have a godgod awful singer 98% of theovte will fall on your mix....the other 2 % are guitarist. Nobody cares about guitar solos and melodic riffs unless they play guitar.....everybody wants to here the vocals.....the rest is just the road for the vehicle to travel on and that road needs to be smooth......mixologi 101.

haha exactly.