I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing when it comes to powering guitar pedals. Right now, I just have power cords running from each one into a power strip. In the interest of organization and convenience, I'm looking to get a power supply for all of my pedals. Based mostly on price and reviews, I am looking at the T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior. Would this work for what I have? I have:

Boss RC-3 Loop Station
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-3
Way Huge Green Rhino
Crybaby Wah

My understanding of power supplies like the Fuel Tank are that you only need to plug the supply into the wall and then a thin cord from each pedal to the supply (instead of needing an outlet for each one). Is this accurate? Or is there a different way I could more easily power my pedals?
one of the new one is a just a glorified boxed daisy chain.

the MXR one (if it still is, i would be damn sure though) a daisy chain in a box.

voodoo lab is always good.

i have had great luck with my BBE Supacharger. they used to be cheaper but i think i paid $75 new and shipped from a dealer.

i own two homes. i have one pedal board with power and my giging pedals, the other has a 1spot, the one spot is like $30 and is an adapter with maybe 10 daisy chained.

HOWEVER you have to have the pedals that don't have the same polarity (pretty much only fuzz and not even all), so if you use fuzz you would need a battery or adapter.

at $30 its hard to bitch about.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Your understanding of isolated power supplies is correct.
If I were you, I would look at the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5. This is what I use to power some of my pedals. I have a Green Rhino as well, it will run at 18V.

Keep in mind that this does not leave you room for expansion. This is why some people just buy the Pedal Power 2+. It's quite a bit to pay up front but you'll be powered for a good while.
get a bigger one than you think you need if you go power supplies. they fill up faster than you think.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 on Voodoo Lab.

I was going to suggest the ISO 5 as well, but trashedlostfdup mentioned a good point. Might as well go for the Pedal Power 2+, leave room for the inevitable expansion.

Also, your Loop Station might need its own supply. Pedals like that tend to draw a lot of mA.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 31, 2014,
Thanks for the tips!

My apologies for this dumb question, but I'm a little confused about how daisy-chains work. Are they essentially just one long cord that plugs into the wall and can then be plugged into each pedal? That's how they look to work in pictures I've seen. If so, that seems like it would solve my problem--I'm not a touring guitarist or anything, but I just want to remove the clutter of having 5 power adapters plugged in around my rig just for pedals. What is the downside to this approach (or why is buying a power supply like those mentioned above preferable)?
I can vouch for the ISO-5, but I have it mounted on a board that I planned out to use every available output. If you haven't 100% decided what you'll be running, or aren't at least willing to plan your effects chain around its limitations, I suggest you get the Voodoo +2.

I knew the ISO-5 was good for me because
0) It is isolated and filtered power (as good as straight DC and noiseless),
1) I have all of my pedals on a board with limited space,
2) most pedals I have or want run on 9V,
3) I'll always have my 9V/18V delay pedal on my board to use the 18V spot as needed.

In other words, the power supply I chose was capable of any configuration that met my criteria. What are yours?
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by shredderrrrrr
Thanks for the tips!

My apologies for this dumb question, but I'm a little confused about how daisy-chains work. Are they essentially just one long cord that plugs into the wall and can then be plugged into each pedal? That's how they look to work in pictures I've seen. If so, that seems like it would solve my problem--I'm not a touring guitarist or anything, but I just want to remove the clutter of having 5 power adapters plugged in around my rig just for pedals. What is the downside to this approach (or why is buying a power supply like those mentioned above preferable)?

Daisy chaining all of your pedals together can exacerbate noise (hiss,hum,buzz) in your signal. Using isolated power, your pedals will be getting clean power, and their noise will be reduced.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Me and every guitarist I personally know use daisy chains like 1spot and powerall and I've never experienced noise. Isolated power for each pedal won't hurt but a good daisy chain setup only costs $20 and that includes all the cables and adapters.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I use a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon, and it does an excellent job.

5 outputs with 300mA each, and you can use a special cable to join two of those outputs into one 600mA output should one pedal require more current than 300mA.
Also, depending on the output, you can switch between 9V DC, 12V DC, 18V DC and 12V AC.

I got it when i only had a couple of pedals, to plan ahead, and now that i'm using a lot of its capabilities, i think it's really versatile and more than enough for most people's needs, and it's not too expensive.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have a digitech hardwire V10 it has 10 isolated outputs (5 more than the fuel tank jr) and was about the same price as the fuel tank jr. So plenty of room for expansion.

It definitely is less noisier than the daisy chain setup I was using before.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Me and every guitarist I personally know use daisy chains like 1spot and powerall and I've never experienced noise. Isolated power for each pedal won't hurt but a good daisy chain setup only costs $20 and that includes all the cables and adapters.

depends what pedals you use. i've also rocked a daisy chain for simple overdrive and tuner boards, but once you introduce digital pedals and clock-based pedals such as delays and reverbs, you're gonna have squeal.
Once again, thanks for the help.

I think I'll just pay the extra money and go for a power supply instead of daisy-chaining. Now it's just a matter of picking out which one.

You guys are mentioning mA and voltage, but how do I know what I need for each pedal? I buy pedals used and, as such, don't have manuals for them. And this may be a stupid question, but can I plug a lower voltage pedal into a higher voltage output (like plugging a 9V pedal into the 18V output on the ISO-5)? I only ask because, assuming most pedals are 9V, the Fuel Tank Jr has 5 9V options as opposed to only 4 on the Voodoo Lab ISO-5. The 2+ model obviously solves this problem with offering 8 9V options, but is obviously more expensive.
What do you guys think of this:

The Voodoo Lab 2+ has 8 outputs and costs $169. I can't find a used product for less than $130.

The Fuel Tank Jr. has 5 outputs and I have found a seller in my area selling it for $65. I have also found a nearby seller selling a Voodoo Lab ISO-5 (5 outputs) for the same price. As such, I could get a total of 10 outputs for around $130 bucks--the same price I would pay for the 8 output Voodoo Lab 2+.

Does this sound like a good idea?
Quote by shredderrrrrr
What do you guys think of this:

The Voodoo Lab 2+ has 8 outputs and costs $169. I can't find a used product for less than $130.

The Fuel Tank Jr. has 5 outputs and I have found a seller in my area selling it for $65. I have also found a nearby seller selling a Voodoo Lab ISO-5 (5 outputs) for the same price. As such, I could get a total of 10 outputs for around $130 bucks--the same price I would pay for the 8 output Voodoo Lab 2+.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Yep, I'd do that.

For the mA, it should say on the label of the pedal, or just google the pedal and you should be able to find it on the manufacturers web site.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X