hello, Im looking into building a footswitch for my preamp but I dont really know which type of enclosure is strong enough to stand constant stomping. I was originally thinking of using a small BUD aluminum keyboard enclosure, but those are .05in thick. Not quite sure if that is strong enough. what thickness is ok for a footswitch?

then I looked at plastic enclosures. Im not at all sure if a plastic box is strong enough either. Ive never had a pedal before, so I dont have a clue how sturdy all those plastic pedals are and what thickness/material to use.

which type of enclosure would any of you rather use?

since this is for a footswitch, shielding wont be an issue. and since my footswitch will be wireless, weight isnt an issue either.

thanks
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The 'standard' pedal enclosure (in the DIY community, at least) is the Hammond brand enclosure. They're aluminium, plenty strong enough without being hard to drill and are common enough that things like screws and lids can be replaced easily. Plastic enclosures always seemed flimsy to me and (I know it's not an issue for you) because they're not metal they affect shielding by not creating a Faraday cage type thing.
Quote by Telecaster7
The 'standard' pedal enclosure (in the DIY community, at least) is the Hammond brand enclosure. They're aluminium, plenty strong enough without being hard to drill and are common enough that things like screws and lids can be replaced easily. Plastic enclosures always seemed flimsy to me and (I know it's not an issue for you) because they're not metal they affect shielding by not creating a Faraday cage type thing.

+3,1415

Go for a Hammond-type aluminum enclosure, they're perfect for this kind of project. I've always used them, with excellent results.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
do you guys mean just the diecast enclosures or also the .064 aluminum chassis that hammond sells? I like the slope chassis because they can fit 3 buttons and wont look like a big brick, but again, Im not all too sure what aluminum would hold my weight.

I have a bad habit of putting my weight on my foot (150lbs) as I push a button on my sanpera pedal and that is a really thick heavy steel pedal. would the .064 chassis hold my weight or at least last until I lose that dumb habit of mine? or is the diecast material the only one that can hold?
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
If you have enough room you could always add structural support around the switch. Whether its a peg or two fastened with screws or a pipe slightly bigger than the switch notched for wires.
I was mentioning the die cast enclosures. But I've seen people building pedals with what I assume is the enclosures you're talking about:

This guy (Dirge Electronics) made this thing in a sloped aluminium enclosure (it's hard to see in the photo but trust me, it's sloped) and as you can see he's got footswitches in the middle so I'd imagine it's strong enough for a pressing at least, though no guarantees on your full weight.