hey people
i have an ibanez rg7321 7 string and REALLY love it except for the pickups.
they sound muddy, lack high end bite, lack sensitivity and lack definition.
pinch harmonics are just about non-existant.

i play most types of rock and metal, so i want good heavy even distortion, but a good clean sound is important to me as well.
oh yeah, and i want them to sound less muddy, with a normal ammount of high end bite, with more sensitivity and definition lol

so do you guys have any pickup recommendations for a 7 string? (humbuckers)

and it seems like less companies make strings for a 7-string.
so far ive seen ernie ball slinkies and d'adarrio
what do you 7-string guys use?

thanks
Quote by ynnednnud
hey people
i have an ibanez rg7321 7 string and REALLY love it except for the pickups.
they sound muddy, lack high end bite, lack sensitivity and lack definition.
pinch harmonics are just about non-existant.

i play most types of rock and metal, so i want good heavy even distortion, but a good clean sound is important to me as well.
oh yeah, and i want them to sound less muddy, with a normal ammount of high end bite, with more sensitivity and definition lol

so do you guys have any pickup recommendations for a 7 string? (humbuckers)

Do you have a budget for this or are you just looking for recommendations in general?

Quote by ynnednnud

thanks

Never bought an actual 7 string set in my life; never found a set of gauges that's actually really usable. I buy 6 string sets and individual strings for the lowest. For the record though, in standard my preference is for a 9-46 set (Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies) and a 60 or 62 for the low B.

I do, or at least did, know a guy who regularly went up to a 70 or heavier for a low B though, it depends on your preference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Dimarzio Crunchlab and liquidfire p'ups are a good mid range set with great clarity and bite without sounding shrill.

If you really have no budget then I suggest you check out Bareknuckle Pickups, they have a breakdown of each pickup's tone properties and what the suggested genre's are on their website. They are handwound so are quite expensive, ie about £230 for a set of humbuckers but are probably the best company for 7 string pickups.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Last edited by ProgFripp74 at Jan 31, 2014,
What is your amp?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by ynnednnud

thanks

I think D'Addarios (I use regular lights) sound better, personally, particularly on the low end. They've got a tight feel to them. I seem to wear them out much faster than equivalent Slinkies though
*insert trying-too-hard-to-be-ironic link to my crappy music here*
I myself have an Ibanez RG7421 (Newer model of your's), and am wanting to change out the pickups.

Some of the options I am considering which you might be interested in:

BKP: Nailbombs, Black Hawks, War Pigs, Juggernauts
Dimarzio: Crunchlab/Liquifier/TITAN if they make a 7 string version
SD: Nazgul/Sentient, Distortion's, The Ola Englund pair (Forgot the models, but they are used in his new Washburn sig's)

Hope those help!

(The BKP's should be great for cleans, FYI)
Try dimarzio D-activator 7 string pickups. Crunchy on distortion but probably one of the cleanest humbuckers ever. If you split them its even better, they just get sooooo clean. I am going to start using EMGs in my guitars, but I am a huge fan of dimarzio, so go with them.
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
You are in luck in a way that your guitar does not come with EMG soap bar pickups like my Cort which unfortunately has EMG HZ-7, the worst pickup I have ever heard, odd combination of thin on top 6 strings with no body and muddy, boomy low B. And finding replacement that fits here in EU is difficult without going for active EMGs.

Check this vid. Excellent comparison of SD pickups. Though there are variables like different output strengths the EQ differences is easy to spot. Pick a one with the most pleasing sonic characteristic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFO9phrDBig
The vid is bit old and SD has added new pickups like Nazgul and Pegasus since then. There are vids of them too but not in big comparison like this one.

Regarding strings the most 7 string sets I have seen are garbage with wimpy ass low B. GHS, La Bella HRS and Dunlop Heavy Core 7 sets seem to be refreshingly balanced though but I have not tried them yet. For now I just use whatever 6 string set I desire (D'Addario 9's balanced set at the moment due to 27" scale. Its tense enough) and 62 on low B/dropped A string. If your 7 is standard scale you might want to check 64-65 too, however you like your tension.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 2, 2014,