Hi !

I'm 18 year old musician-songwriter who wants to make it bigtime. (Another one, yea)
Well, I finished my 3-song demo album, recording quality is pretty much avarage Garageband-ish, I recorded all instruments myself. (So not that good). I feel like i need some very proffesional help for producing my songs and I was wondering how much do producers and record companies change, co-write, and co-produce my music if I should send it somewhere ? Also, is it a drawback that I dont actually have a band although my music is band-oriented. I suppose people like Ed Sheeran just hire bands for recording.My genre is indie/folk/rock.

So where should i go from here?
Thanks
Well, even making music with VST-instruments and mixing/mastering are skills that take years to develop. If you get good at doing everything yourself, I don't think you will even need a band for anything. Unless you want to play live.
I think you need to seriously learn about how the industry works, or doesn't, before you do anything.

You seem incredibly naive to me.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Pretty sure most places aren't going to accept unsolicited material these days. Getting yourself out there is one way to do it. Play out as much as you can stand to, never say no to a gig (at least at this stage), and make friends with as many people in your local scene as you can.
Finding a "producer" is also pretty much out of reach.
If you look up some local studios in your area, they may be willing to mix or master the demo for you, this will probably cost $60 to $100 an hour.
The reality of actually making any real money is going to depend on how much sacrifice you are willing to make right now, and your location. Though, with the internet, the second one is not so important. Most of the millionaire stars out there now spent a few years nearly homeless and crashing on other people's couches while they tried to break into the business.
Barring all this, you could post your stuff on youtube and hope to go viral. Lots of people are getting their 15 minutes that way.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
if you're going to put your material out there and want to protect it.
You need to file copy right's. The last I check it was around $32, for the entire album
if you want.
Some people actually made it big time using you tube. Such as Mia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDR5SrKtt0

Matt. I always thought he was amazing....Backing the days before a lot of people started doing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XeFieGEfI

If you want to play live. You need to take the body where the music is. Such as Austin, Tx.
You're recording are actually tools to build a fan base to get them to attend the live shows.

Satriani actually had to start his own music production company to start a fan base.
Back it the days before youtube. Imagine how hard that was to get your material out.
He was playing for Mick Jagger already. Deep Purple wanted him to play for them.
He continue to toured every year, even if instrumental guitar wasn't in style. I saw him a couple of times in concert. He was bad ass live. Tickets were expensvive for smaller audience. Like a almost $200 per person and I wanst even near the front.
He built a fan base
Last edited by smc818 at Jan 31, 2014,
So, link to the demo please?

Let's see if its any good and worth sending anywhere.

Where do you live? are you good looking? are you really serious about this? (pm me if you are) how long do you practice per day? why are you not in a band with some mates to get experience? do you really have some talent are are you looking to bullshit your way forward?

P.
Here's the thing about following your dreams. My daughter is a model.
She's not super famous but she's shitting money, now. She's gone through millions.
She traveled the world before she was even 21.
She made lots of sacrifices in her life. She fought her way into this life.
She also did what she wanted and needed to do. And it aint all pretty.
You can judge her. You can hate her. Even other kids made fun of her
saying she was ugly. So she ran away from all of that to follow her dreams.
At the age of 16 on the streets of Hollywood...were there's packs of wolves everywhere.
As a parent....I cringe. I'll only hear the tip of the iceberg.
I can never take anything away from her. She paid more than the price to
be where she's at today...right or wrong. She made it happened, no matter what.
No matter what anyone said or thinks about her. The word can't dosnt exist in her life.
She dose what she wants. She has a serious attitude sometimes. But she's a very
sweet loving person if you know her, personally. She's street smart and business smart.

She has a fan base. There's over 5000 people on her FB. Fans posting everyday.
She can just put a freaken dot on a comment. People respond to whatever she writes
or don't write.haha
Last edited by smc818 at Jan 31, 2014,
You need to be really, really good at your thing. No amount of production improves the songwriting or instrumental performance. Be self-critical, but confident. Get input from other people. Be excited about what you do.

Also you don't need to register a copyright for your music to be protected - if someone rips your stuff off all you have to do is show that you wrote it. Keep your demo recordings. But there's a pretty small risk of that, I wouldn't worry about it.
Let's hear your demo. If you aren't ready to let us hear it, go back to your bedroom until you are.
Quote by smc818
if you're going to put your material out there and want to protect it.
You need to file copy right's. The last I check it was around $32, for the entire album
if you want.
Some people actually made it big time using you tube. Such as Mia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDR5SrKtt0

Matt. I always thought he was amazing....Backing the days before a lot of people started doing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XeFieGEfI

If you want to play live. You need to take the body where the music is. Such as Austin, Tx.
You're recording are actually tools to build a fan base to get them to attend the live shows.

Satriani actually had to start his own music production company to start a fan base.
Back it the days before youtube. Imagine how hard that was to get your material out.
He was playing for Mick Jagger already. Deep Purple wanted him to play for them.
He continue to toured every year, even if instrumental guitar wasn't in style. I saw him a couple of times in concert. He was bad ass live. Tickets were expensvive for smaller audience. Like a almost $200 per person and I wanst even near the front.
He built a fan base

Telecasters are so bad ass man I need to buy one ASAP!
Quote by Black_devils
Telecasters are so bad ass man I need to buy one ASAP!

I have one. Same colure
Quote by futurehope
Hi !

I'm 18 year old musician-songwriter who wants to make it bigtime. (Another one, yea)
Well, I finished my 3-song demo album, recording quality is pretty much avarage Garageband-ish, I recorded all instruments myself. (So not that good). I feel like i need some very proffesional help for producing my songs and I was wondering how much do producers and record companies change, co-write, and co-produce my music if I should send it somewhere ? Also, is it a drawback that I dont actually have a band although my music is band-oriented. I suppose people like Ed Sheeran just hire bands for recording.My genre is indie/folk/rock.

Thanks

Well you should go out the front door and start getting gigs in your local area. As noted above, most labels do not accept unsolicited demos so that's the wrong approach. Getting a band is probably a good idea as it will increase the amount of places you can play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
For cheap copyrights, mail a CD of your music to yourself via certified mail. Dont open it until you need it in court.
Quote by bassalloverthe
For cheap copyrights, mail a CD of your music to yourself via certified mail. Dont open it until you need it in court.

This rarely holds up well, if ever. Getting the copyrights is extremely cheap, always go the official route.
Quote by Vlasco
This rarely holds up well, if ever. Getting the copyrights is extremely cheap, always go the official route.

Good to know. Too bad it doesn't hold up legally, it seems like a pretty legit way to prove exactly when the song was concieved
Good tracks and I think your music has legs.

I know Rob Hoffman has done projects in Poland with Wendy Waldman as producer. They are very good with major credentials but you will need a strong financial backing to make use of their services. Cash in the bank is the first step because none of these guys are interested in promoting an unknown. Here is an example of their work:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mietek
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by ChemicalFire
I think you need to seriously learn about how the industry works, or doesn't, before you do anything.

You seem incredibly naive to me.

then offer a few legitimate pointers.... little miss know it all, instead if just belching out empty sentences.
"Getting into music industry" is the actual topic of this thread... in case you missed it!!

you seem incredibly condescending to me.
Quote by tonibet72
then offer a few legitimate pointers.... little miss know it all, instead if just belching out empty sentences.
"Getting into music industry" is the actual topic of this thread... in case you missed it!!

you seem incredibly condescending to me.

5 star post

Op, easiest thing to do is figure out what venues your friends play at, and then try to play there. They probably aren't much further in your musical careers than you, so getting booked is as easy as whatever they did
Quote by futurehope
Hi !

Thanks

The recording industry is exactly that - an industry. So let's talk industry talk.
What are your numbers? How many units have you moved? What's your draw? What's your potential growth? What's your marketing plan? How do you plan on packaging your product?
All these questions boil down to one big one - why should we invest our money in you? Or even more bluntly, how are you going to guarantee that we are going to make a return on our investment in you?
No producer or record company is going to change your 3 song demo, because they don't care about the demo. They care about profit. So your question ought to be, if I'm going to make it big, how do I guarantee turning a profit?
Now, if anybody had the answer to that question, they'd be using it to make themselves a rock star. So that's what you have to figure out.
thank you for the answers, right now I am sending my demo to local important people in music production and business, have gotten good feedback so far
Quote by futurehope
You can hear my demo here: https://soundcloud.com/tehuku

I had a quick listen to this this morning. I thought the song was nice, female vocals were pretty good and male vocals really need work.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hay guy, Pm me or email me at victor@guitargraph.com

I'm a self-taught guitarist/producer/sound engineer. I would be happy to do a quick mix and master of your tracks for free as long as you mention my name on your release.

I will do this because I am self-taught. One day I will charge for this service but I need to build a portfolio first.

I'll also give you some tips on marketing your music online. I don't know much but I can give you some ideas at least.

I am only 23 and have similar dreams as you and I believe it takes time and that people can help each other achieve it. Peace