I currently use a cheapass Fame GSH2-200SA Head + cab. Great amp for the price you pay but still a piece of crap. After it started whining again on minimum settings I decided it was the last time that amp pissed me off. (Yes, I tried multiple settings on multiple guitars, replaced cables, tried different pedals, cabs etc. and I even ran it on a generator. You name it, I tried it)

I play trash and death metal, my band currently covers songs of Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Amon Amarth and Legion of the Damned. Most of the time I play the rhythm parts so I will need an amp with a distortion/overdrive/crunch channel which blows your balls off and then some.

The closest store with a wide variety of gear isn't particularly close to me so I'm kind of depending on you guys.

Naturally the Mesa Boogie Rectifier models caught my attention, my question to you is, which exact model is best suited for me? I've seen various models at various prices, as in single, dual or triple rectifier, and I've seen one called "solo head" (what does it mean?)

Of course other suggestions are most welcome as well, thanks.
Before we get too far recommending amps, play this game:
New or used?
Budget?
Nearest city?
Bands/genres (you listed some, but more exact tone would help)?

Best of luck!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Peavey 5150/6505
Ampeg VH140
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Additional information:

New or used?
Used, because new gear is too expensive

Budget?
Maximum € 1.500,- (Head only)

Nearest city?
Venlo (Netherlands)

I'm not good at describing tone so i'll list some songs so you will get some idea.

Amon Amarth - Guardians of Asgaard
Legion of the Damned - Into the eye of the storm
Six Feet Under - Deathklaat
Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror
Second the Peavey 5150/6505. You can do the bias mod and get a decet clean sound if you ever use it. I think I've read those bands use it but don't quote me.

Should also be a lot less expensive than the Mesa, at least in the USA it is.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
For the Rectifiers, you want to look for an old 2 Channel Dual Rectifier (used only, they've been discontinued for a very long time now. Don't get a 3 Channel. You can tell the difference visually by how many knobs there are and how they're laid out

2 channel:

3 Channel:

Alternatively, you can get a 5150 or a 6505, or a 5150 II or a 6505+. The 5150 versions are usually cheaper, but they are the exact same amps as their counterparts.

You might also like a Peavey XXX or 3120. Again same exact amps. These have a more higher mid focus, so have a bit more old school vibe to them than the low mid focused 5150s.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Maximus Rogue
Additional information:

New or used?
Used, because new gear is too expensive

Budget?
Maximum € 1.500,- (Head only)

Nearest city?
Venlo (Netherlands)

I'm not good at describing tone so i'll list some songs so you will get some idea.

Amon Amarth - Guardians of Asgaard
Legion of the Damned - Into the eye of the storm
Six Feet Under - Deathklaat
Cannibal Corpse - Death Walking Terror

In the Netherlands Mesa and Peavey are way overpriced. For 1500 euro you could get some amazing amplifiers. Look for European brands, you'll be able to get more amp for your buck (I'm in Amsterdam myself).

You should probably have a look at ENGL (Steve Morse, Invader 100, Savage, Victor), Diezel (D-mol), Blackstar (series one), Marshall JVM, to name a few. www.marktplaats.nl has a bunch of these used currently.

If you absolutely must have the tones from a 5150 or dual rec go for it, but I would consider European options first.

*edit*

You can probably talk this guy down to 1400-1500
http://link.marktplaats.nl/764273157
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jan 31, 2014,
Engl fireball can be very brutal. Used Invader might fit your budget.
If you can grab an old sunn, it could work. Those are somes of the "brutalest" amp I've heard, I was sure that sound would just kill me, but it is more "doom metal-ish".
Blackstar serie-one is very nice too, and the wattage control grant you the power to always have a good tone at the good volume.

Also, the new ENGL Ironball is very nice and not that expensive.

They are not the most brutal, but you can get a Laney Ironheart for quite cheap in Europe (around 600 used), they could work for you, the the most brutal but could work.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I think Cannibal Corpse uses Dual Rectifier clean boosted with Metal Zone pedal (yes. That shitty pedal is great as boost). Problem is that Mesa is so overpriced here in europe. You can get monster amps for less and new. Engl Fireball (if you want simple amp) or Powerball (if you want shitton of features) will melt your face for less, FAAAR less in used market.

Blackstar HT series have shady reputation but Series One heads are good and surprisingly affordable used. I think Silenoz of Dimmu Borgir uses one at the moment, without boosts.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 1, 2014,