So lately I've been listening to a lot of old school funk, and naturally the basslines in this music are insane. It's been making me really want to pick up the bass, even if just to mess around on and not get very serious, though I would like to reach a certain proficiency at the instrument.

I'm currently studying classical guitar in college, and, as I'm sure many of you will know, one grows their nails and plays with them for classical guitar. Over the past few years I was experimenting with various fingernail lengths, and for the past few months have been playing with short nails (if I hold my palm up facing me the nails are just about visible).

I'm wondering if the various bass techniques that I want to use like slapping and popping would damage my nails? Cause if so, that's pretty much a no-go for me. And hopefully there's one or two in here that have had this experience before, so any preventative measures to be put in place?

Thanks for any replies in advance.
I can't give you any advice regarding playing with longer nails, because I keep them as short as possible, which tends to make playing bass a more comfortable/easy experience for me. Even when they grow a couple of mm out I can tell. Much longer and I occasionally hit them while playing etc, which is uncomfortable and doesn't sound great.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
I suppose a very aggressive "pop" technique might damage your nails, but on the whole, it is not likely.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley