I think this is the right part of the forum to post in, apologies if not...

Last night I acquired a 35(ish) year old Yamaha SF1000 Super Flighter, which is basically factory fresh. Barely any marks, frets in perfect order, original case/toolkit/strap/cloth etc. The only issue is that it was SO factory fresh, the plastic plates over the electronic cavities still had the protective covers on...

When I first saw this, it looked as if the plastic plates were made of wood, as the covers had evidently dried out and turned almost brown. On closer inspection I could see the edges where it had lifted a little. I tried to pull off the cover from behind the pickup selector, and it came off in strips like ripping paper, and left this nasty residue that I can't get off with just water.

Any ideas of what I might be able to use to remove this residue without damaging the plastic? The pictures attached are of the round plate that I removed the cover from, and the bigger plate that still has the cover on it.

Suggestions pleeeaaaase!
Attachments:
IMG_0357[2].jpg
IMG_0356[2].jpg
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by smittyanthrax
Petrol fluid for petrol lighters will probably work.

Petrol lighters, as in the fluid from them? Not burning it off...? :P
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Yep squeeze a little on and use a bit of elbow grease with a paper towel.i use it all the time.wont do any harm.
Zippo lighter fluid is an excellent adhesive remover man.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Brilliant! I once had someone suggest putting the plastic pieces in a plastic bag with some diluted oven cleaner and shaking for 10 seconds... somehow I feel that wouldn't be the best idea!

I'll get some lighter fluid on it, thanks guys!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Goof Off and Goo Gone both work nice getting adhesive off
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by smittyanthrax
How did you get on?

I've been up to my neck in work the last few weeks so I haven't gotten round to it just yet, plan to have a go over the weekend!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart