Hey guys. Thinking of buying a guitar body, and it's got a chip on the tip of the bottom horn. I'm wondering: could I put some wood filler around it and sorta outline the chip to make it match the rest of the horn, or could I just sand it down, or...?

Here's the afformentioned pic. I'm thinking of repainting it and sanding it down regardless, 'cause it has some scratches elsewhere too.

The picture. It's big.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
That's not my area, but my gut feeling is that wood filler won't work on a corner. It's too soft and flaky, especially for a guitar. Instead of doing that, clean up the wood and get a good two-part epoxy which will dry very hard and also adhere well. Then sand it down to the level of the surrounding finish (maybe a little lower). After painting, you probably need to build up some type of acrylic (?) shiny stuff. But wait until someone that's done it before replies before buying the stuff that I mentioned.
I'd just leave it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
So far one "fill it," one "don't," and one "nah buddy it's cool."

Welp. Anyone else?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by timbo63
That's not my area, but my gut feeling is that wood filler won't work on a corner. It's too soft and flaky, especially for a guitar. Instead of doing that, clean up the wood and get a good two-part epoxy which will dry very hard and also adhere well. Then sand it down to the level of the surrounding finish (maybe a little lower). After painting, you probably need to build up some type of acrylic (?) shiny stuff. But wait until someone that's done it before replies before buying the stuff that I mentioned.

This is a good suggestion.

One other idea, is to create some fine sawdust (via sanding preferably) with some scrap wood.
Sand down area to be fixed down to bare wood.
Mix sawdust with some titebond wood glue until its like peanut butter.
Use that as your filler. When it dries, its harder than normal wood filler.
But it does take longer to fully dry.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 31, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
This is a good suggestion.

One other idea, is to create some fine sawdust (via sanding preferably) with some scrap wood.
Sand down area to be fixed down to bare wood.
Mix sawdust with some titebond wood glue until its like peanut butter.
Use that as your filler. When it dries, its harder than normal wood filler.
But it does take longer to fully dry.

That's a good idea! What would the ratios be there? Half and half in the mixture?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Nico the Great
That's a good idea! What would the ratios be there? Half and half in the mixture?

Pore the sawdust into container and add glue as needed. a little bit at a time.
I've never measured it myself.
Stir/mix it really good.
If it gets to thin, add more sawdust.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 31, 2014,
Well, I didn't "not fill it" was really an option. I'd actually go with that. If it's a guitar that you think you could put in 2 hours of fixing time and improve the resale value worth two hours of your time, then maybe. But I personally think some nicks and scratches add character, like badges of honor. They actually sell guitars with those added (!) - but those nicks don't count!

So I'd vote leave it alone.
That looks like a one hour job. just fill it with some decent wood filler which uses an activator. Such as Ronseal High performance. Then sand it down and paint it.
Bondo glazing putty it dries fast and hard and is cheap and easy to work with. It sands easy also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate