I apologize if this has been asked before, but I am a little confused here.

I just purchased a EMG 81 and an EMG 85 pickup, both used, off of Ebay. In looking through some videos and other resources online, I'm noticing that the manuals refer to a pickup buss needed in order for their solderless connection to work properly. However, I only purchased the pickups themselves, no pots or buss or anything like that. Simply the pickups with the red and white cords coming off of the back.

So, I'm wondering if I'm going to need to buy anything else in order to install these onto my blacktop MIM Strat. I don't mind soldering at all, so if I can get away with just soldering them into place and not worrying about their solder-free system, then that would be fine.

Any help is appreciated!

You don't NEED it at all. It's just a component of the new, solderless system. The only things you need are some 25k pots, a stereo jack socket, and a 9v battery clip.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. The diagram is great. Thanks so much.

To be honest, I know very little about electronics, so forgive me, but would the pots in my Strat now currently not be sufficient? I am assuming they are different pots than the ones I need.

Haha - I still don't really know what exactly a pot actually is, honestly
They'll definitely work for the time being, but they're probably 500k. They might be a bit of a tone suck and you'll only be able to turn them a very small distance before they cut the signal out. You won't damage anything by just wiring your new pickups to where the old ones were. The battery clip is a must though, and a stereo socket should be a priority - it basically saves your battery by breaking the 9v feed when you unplug your guitar.

Do you have a three- or five-way switch it in at the moment?

Also, I think this is the diagram you actually need:
http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2%20EMG%202v%201t%203wb.pdf

You should have two humbuckers, two volumes, one tone and a three-way lever switch (I think).
Ok, might as well do it right the first time then. I will buy the 25k pots and the stereo socket (that is where the patch cord goes into, correct?). How many pots will I need?

The guitar is actually the HSH Strat. It has a five way standard selector. And I have two humbuckers, one single coil in the middle, one master volume, and Tone 1 (Neck Pickup), Tone 2 (Bridge Pickup).
Looks like I'll need three of those 25k pots (short shaft ones, I believe), one for the master volume and two for the tones.

Will I need to replace my 5-way switch or am I ok with using the one already in my strat?

Thanks again for your help and patience!