Hello,

I'm after a smallish/ compact amp for gigging in small venues. A 1x 12 combo or head with 1x 12 cab, ideally. Just for convenience sake.

A tube/ valve amp would be preferable. Although I am very open solid state/ modelling if they'll cut through the mix.

Ideally I want to buy brand new. I've had some bad experiences with used musical equipment in the past. Plus the assurance of a warranty etc.

I mainly play heavy rock, so it needs to have a good amount of gain.

I've a budget of around £400. Don't really want to spend more than that, but less would be good

I also need some effects. Adding up the value of the effects pedals that I would need for certain songs I play, it would cost me around £100. So maybe some built in effects would be good?

As such, I currently have 3 amps in mind. But I'm open to suggestions...

1, Line 6 Spider Valve MKII; Discontinued, so available for relatively cheap. Although, to get the most out of it, it would be best to have the FBV shortboard (to use the looper etc), which is an extra £160.

2, Jet City JCA 5012C (Combo), or JCA50H (Head) with small cab; Heard mixed reviews of these amps. So I'm not too sure. A lot of people recommend them for heavier music though. And they are really cheap for a straight up tube amp. Is there any advantage to having a head and cab over the combo?

Lastly, 3, VOX VT80+; Pretty much the Vox Spider equivalent, but more solid state, because it only has one tube in. I've heard some good things about them. Are they actually good though? And would it be loud enough to gig with? I'm very curious about these. Because if they're decent, it would have everything I need, and be the best value for money.

Anyway, as I said, I'm open to suggestions, so I'd appreciate any advice or information.

Cheers.
No contest - the JCA50.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In all honesty I had the VOX VT 100 and I hated it. The models were't that good and the onboard effects were kind of bland and fake sounding.

I'd give my vote for the Jet City, they're suppose to be extremely reliable.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
By far the Jet City. Wish I'd never sold mine, wanting another one.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Jet City eh? Cool...

I've heard a few negative things about them though. That they're noisy, and that the speakers are crap? Not true? 'Cheap Chinese crap' was another thing I'd read.

Cheap and Chinese made... unquestionably. Crap though? I'm hoping not, because I'll probably get one.

5012 Combo? Or 50 watt head with the JCA 1x12 cab? Or if the Eminence speaker is crap, should I get a different cab?
Order from Thomann and go for the 50w head and the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage Cab.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Order from Thomann and go for the 50w head and the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage Cab.

+3,1415

This is a great rig at a really good price.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Jet City are nice amps and they are built solid

I'd go with Gary's suggestion get a Harley Benton cab from Thomann even the 1x12 vintage cab would be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GaryBillington

+311.

This would be a nice combo.

Mine was very well built, I have no complaints
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Can't got wrong with a JC. I have the 22H and Harley Benton V30 1x12, love it to death!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Can't recommend the JCA enough. My DSL stays at home after I picked that boy up.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
Can't recommend the JCA enough. My DSL stays at home after I picked that boy up.

Jet City it is then Unless anyone can blow it out of the water with something?

Preferable to the DSL? That's very surprising to hear, and very encouraging indeed.

Thanks for the response people. Much appreciated.
Quote by rythmking24
Jet City it is then Unless anyone can blow it out of the water with something?

Preferable to the DSL? That's very surprising to hear, and very encouraging indeed.

Thanks for the response people. Much appreciated.

I had a TSL (pretty much a newer and worse version of the DSL) and the JC beats it in every way. Better cleans, A LOT better medium crunch and just as good if not better high gain sounds.

I can very much see that it could take on the DSL as well.

Go with the JC and thank us later :P
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
I had a TSL (pretty much a newer and worse version of the DSL) and the JC beats it in every way. Better cleans, A LOT better medium crunch and just as good if not better high gain sounds.

I can very much see that it could take on the DSL as well.

Go with the JC and thank us later :P

No, the JCM2000 DSL and TSL are completely different amps. The DSL was designed as an extention of the JCM800 and the TSL is completely different made to compete with the Mesa Rectifier.

I have a JCM DSL100 and have played the Jet City line a lot, for the money new Jet City is hard to beat. But saying the JCA blows the DSL out of the water is just BS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GaryBillington

+1

The combo is a little cheaper, but by the time you swap the speaker you won't be that far ahead. If you can stretch to that head/cab setup that's what I'd do, two speakers generally sound better than one, everything else being equal. Though if you think the combo would be more portable (I think it's pretty heavy, though, so bear that in mind) then it'd be worth considering, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, the JCM2000 DSL and TSL are completely different amps. The DSL was designed as an extention of the JCM800 and the TSL is completely different made to compete with the Mesa Rectifier.

I have a JCM DSL100 and have played the Jet City line a lot, for the money new Jet City is hard to beat. But saying the JCA blows the DSL out of the water is just BS

Anyway, it sure as hell blows the TSL out of the water. Where it's better than a DSL or not I'll leave for others to decide.
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
I think the it blows the TSL away. I would say it's very much on par with the DSL
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75