I have an MIM 2002 strat, and I'm putting a tremolo bar on it. However, with some reading I'm kind of worried I won't be able to bend up and only down, a referrnce point for what I want to do is at the latter half of "Trailer Trash" by Modest Mouse. How do I set it up to where I can bend up?
if the trem is set to float then you can do a little pull up. don't expect it to be like a recessed Floyd or similar style trem though.
To set a trem to float you need to alter the balance in tension. In the back cavity there should be a screw mounting the trem spring, loosen them and your bridge will float a little bit. Dont expect a full octave or anything though, to do that you'll either be investing in a whammy pedal or a new guitar.
And also remember that you're stretching the strings when you're pulling them up so its is a bit more likely to affecting tuning than going down (for obvious reasons really). Make sure it's nicely set up and make sure the strings are not catching on the nut because that's a major area for tuning problems. The original Fender system when set up properly is remarkably versatile but a bit of a pain when it isn't.
MIM Strats aren't really designed for floating trems, so you're not going to be able to bend up more than a step or so without majorly modifying your guitar.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
MIM Strats aren't really designed for floating trems, so you're not going to be able to bend up more than a step or so without majorly modifying your guitar.

ummm.. yes they are that was the original design that leo had in mind. floating doesn't mean the ability for a huge amount of pull up.

when the bridge floats it doesn't have direct contact with the body of the guitar. for a fender this means there is a very small amount of pull up. you can adjust it for more pull up but this would affect your action and it may be higher than you want. 6 screw or 2 point bridge can both be set to float. if you want crazy pull up then you would have to go to a rear routed Floyd style trem.
Mine is a six screw, so could anyone give me detailed instructions on how to make it float?
When you go with a floater. You might as will get another guitar.
By the time you spend all that money. Plus you're taking a chance on damaging the guitar
if you rote out the recess. Raise the action? Not!!!!!
It's a pain to tune. The string needs time to stretch. If one string has less tension
on it. the rest will be out of tune. Once you get it set. It'll pretty much stay in tune
even if you yank or wiggle the hell out of it.

The only thing is.if you play different songs with different tuning. it's going
to get old real quick. I have different guitar for this simple reason.

Plus different Floyd rose arnt exactly the same. Most have fine tunner where you
would rest your palm, if you palm mute. It'll get set out of tune that way.
Some have the fine tuners towards the rear and out of the way.

It'll also change the way you play. If you were used to resting you palm on the strings,
you wont be able to do that as much.

Just get an Ibanez or Jackson. My Ibanez has better tones/tone range than the Jacksons or strat. You can them for cheap. between $250 to $300.
It's a US made strat too. It plays good but it lacks tone range or need hotter real pick ups.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 1, 2014,
Quote by smc818
When you go with a floater. You might as will get another guitar.
By the time you spend all that money. Plus you're taking a chance on damaging the guitar
if you rote out the recess. Raise the action? Not!!!!!
It's a pain to tune. The string needs time to stretch. If one string has less tension
on it. the rest will be out of tune. Once you get it set. It'll pretty much stay in tune
even if you yank or wiggle the hell out of it.

The only thing is.if you play different songs with different tuning. it's going
to get old real quick. I have different guitar for this simple reason.

Plus different Floyd rose arnt exactly the same. Most have fine tunner where you
would rest your palm, if you palm mute. It'll get set out of tune that way.
Some have the fine tuners towards the rear and out of the way.

It'll also change the way you play. If you were used to resting you palm on the strings,
you wont be able to do that as much.

Just get an Ibanez or Jackson. My Ibanez has better tones/tone range than the Jacksons or strat. You can them for cheap. between $250 to $300.
It's a US made strat too. It plays good but it lacks tone range or need hotter real pick ups.

dude don't know how many times I've gotta say that floating isn't the same as Floyd rose. floyds do float and so do fender style trems it's all about how it is set up. there is very little pull up on a fender style trem. when floyds fist came out their wasn't much pull up on them either. a rear route was developed later. now if you want extreme pull up then rear route is needed. if you want a little then setting a fender style trem to float will work just fine.