Hello all

I'm thinking of building my own Stratocaster (I think I've seen people call this Partsocaster but I could be wrong.) and I need a lot of help. I want to make it a HSS configuration with two tone and a coil tap on the master volume.

1) Do I need special humbuckers for this or can all humbuckers be coil tapped?

2) Do I need special pots for coil tapping?

3) What pots do I need to use? 250k or 500k? If either can be used, what are the differences between them?

4) What pickup would you recommend in the bridge position? Looking to spend up to £100 on it. I would be playing light rock (Tom Petty) and blue (BB King, Eric Clapton). I quite like the Seymour Duncan 'Pearly Gates' pick up. Also the pick up needs to be white to match with the colour scheme I'm going for.

Sorry for all the questions but I figured you guys would be able to help me.
no all humbuckers can't be coiled tapped you need ones that have the wiring to do so. most pickups will have a recommended pot so go by that. a low output pup like a PAF style would be best for what you want.
Quote by JustGuitar98
So do you know if the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pick up can be coil tapped?

check their website for the specs. will tell you if it can be
You can get a push/pull or a push/push pot for your coil splitting. I know for Seymour Duncan you take the white/red wire that is usually soldered and taped off to the side and you hook that up to the pushpull or pushpush pot. Pull the pot. Viola. Coil split. Push it in. voila. normal.

For 250k,300k, or 500k pots thats up to whatever humbucker you use. Normally companies recommend 500k with their humbuckers but some like the Duncan JB work well with 250k pots in some guitars.

Pearly Gates would be a great option for light rock. Not sure how it reacts to coil splitting. Some of the better coil splitting sounds come from higher output pickups. I guess its because low output pickups that are split might sound very weak. Still a usable sound but might sound a bit "distant and thin"

This it totally IMO and YMMV
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 1, 2014,
(1) Practically all humbuckers made today can be coil-split*. The easiest way to tell if a humbucker can be split is if it has four conductor wires, which are found on the manufactures site, along with a fifth ground (bare) wire.

(2) You will need to buy a push/poll pot for coil-splitting. Another option is to wire a SPST switch in between the humbucker and volume pot.

(3) Either the 250k or 500k pots can be used in HSS guitars. Without getting into the science of it, just remember that the higher the resistance of the pot (the 500k stands for 500,000 ohms) has, the output will see a clearer and brighter signal.

(4) I've never tried a Duncan Pearly Gates, but I hear it's nice for lighter rock. In your situation, you'd want a medium to lower PAF-voiced humbucker in your Strat. One of m recommendations would be either a DiMarzio Air Zone (I own one and love it)or PAF Pro.

*Many guitarist confuse the terms coil-splitting and coil tapping. Both applications slightly reduce the volume of the pickup, yet they aren't the same thing. Coil-splitting is taking a humbucker and altering it so the signal will will flow through only a coil and not both of them.

Coil-tapping, on the other hand, taps into the winding of the coils. This will will allow some of the later winding of the coil to not be seen when it's activated. This will reduce the volume slightly in favor for a brighter tone. Tapping can only be done to single coils and is still a rare thing.

Sorry for the rant but I had to clear that up. If you need any verification or reassurance, I'm currently at a Technical school in a 2-year Electronics program. Once I'm done there (in my first year), I'll be going into electrical engineering. So, I do know my stuff when it comes to this sort of thing.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
(1) Practically all humbuckers made today can be coil-split*. The easiest way to tell if a humbucker can be split is if it has four conductor wires, which are found on the manufactures site, along with a fifth ground (bare) wire.

(2) You will need to buy a push/poll pot for coil-splitting. Another option is to wire a SPST switch in between the humbucker and volume pot.

(3) Either the 250k or 500k pots can be used in HSS guitars. Without getting into the science of it, just remember that the higher the resistance of the pot (the 500k stands for 500,000 ohms) has, the output will see a clearer and brighter signal.

(4) I've never tried a Duncan Pearly Gates, but I hear it's nice for lighter rock. In your situation, you'd want a medium to lower PAF-voiced humbucker in your Strat. One of m recommendations would be either a DiMarzio Air Zone (I own one and love it)or PAF Pro.

*Many guitarist confuse the terms coil-splitting and coil tapping. Both applications slightly reduce the volume of the pickup, yet they aren't the same thing. Coil-splitting is taking a humbucker and altering it so the signal will will flow through only a coil and not both of them.

Coil-tapping, on the other hand, taps into the winding of the coils. This will will allow some of the later winding of the coil to not be seen when it's activated. This will reduce the volume slightly in favor for a brighter tone. Tapping can only be done to single coils and is still a rare thing.

Sorry for the rant but I had to clear that up. If you need any verification or reassurance, I'm currently at a Technical school in a 2-year Electronics program. Once I'm done there (in my first year), I'll be going into electrical engineering. So, I do know my stuff when it comes to this sort of thing.

I also am very annoyed when I hear it as "coil tapping." I'm like dude... your splitting it. And the reply is always "Its the same thing!"

And I facepalm.
Sorry about getting coil tap and coil split confused, now I know I shall make sure I am using the right one. Thanks for the help guys, I have to admit I'm new to all this stuff, I'm only just starting to learn about all the electrics of a guitar. What colours would you recommend for a strat? I'm currently thinking of white with a red perloid pickguard but what do you think looks good?
Quote by JustGuitar98

4) What pickup would you recommend in the bridge position? Looking to spend up to £100 on it. I would be playing light rock (Tom Petty) and blue (BB King, Eric Clapton). I quite like the Seymour Duncan 'Pearly Gates' pick up. Also the pick up needs to be white to match with the colour scheme I'm going for.

For classic tones like that, I like the Seymour Duncan '59, the RailHammer HyperVintage, the Tesla Opus 1 and Opus 4, Lace Alumitones and Hemis, and the TV Jones Classic, Classic Plus, and SuperTron.

Vintage Vibe pickups are also in your price range, and are essentially custom wound. I have some of his singlecoils going into a luthier's telecaster clone prototype.

Not all of those will be available in white, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by JustGuitar98
Sorry about getting coil tap and coil split confused, now I know I shall make sure I am using the right one. Thanks for the help guys, I have to admit I'm new to all this stuff, I'm only just starting to learn about all the electrics of a guitar. What colours would you recommend for a strat? I'm currently thinking of white with a red perloid pickguard but what do you think looks good?

No need to be sorry. It's a bit of a pet peeve for e and I thought I'd share some of my knowledge on the subject.

As for the color scheme, the white with red perloid would look very nice. It all depends on you're tastes, though. If it was me who was building the strat, I'd probably do some off-the-wall, unique color scheme with a purple body and a green pickguard, or vise versa.

Quote by cheesefries
I also am very annoyed when I hear it as "coil tapping." I'm like dude... your splitting it. And the reply is always "Its the same thing!"

And I facepalm.

I know, I feel the same way. It's a pet peeve, I guess.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Lookwise, I would prefer it the other way round (red with white pearloid pickguard). That said, I have a guitar like that which I'm 'renovating' into an all-black hardware/pickguard axe.

At the end of the day... Your guitar, Your choice!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Feb 2, 2014,
Quote by JustGuitar98
What colours would you recommend for a strat? I'm currently thinking of white with a red perloid pickguard but what do you think looks good?

Well, that's kind of personal, isn't it?

My only true Stratclone is minty green with a white pickguard. But when I was shopping for my first electric, I almost bought a MiM Strat that was metallic red with a red pearl pickguard, rosewood fretboard and black pickups.

About the only Strats I don't like aesthetically are the ones that have been produced in such great numbers they've become overused...like plain (un-quilted or unflamed) tobacco burst with a white pickguard, or all white.

For a little fun with colors, go to Ruokangas' website and fiddle around with their guitar builder on the VSOP (their Stratclone).

http://www.ruokangas.com/?page_id=7
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 2, 2014,
That guitar building website is great! I like white with red pickguard and trans blue with either tortoise or pearl pickguard, thanks for showing me that, I'm sure I'll use it on any custom jobs I do