Okay so I just received this guitar http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Alkaline-Acoustic-Mahogany-Rosette/dp/B0077S7QDC big Alkaline Trio fan haha, anyway besides the point.

I've been playing on it for a bit and the strings just sound off, though I've been reading everywhere that people say the sound is great. Compared to my old guitar it sounds so much worse though...

I have read as well though that it takes a few days for strings to get kicked in and I should just keep playing through it for now before thinking about getting new strings. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

[EDIT] A bit more info, the sound is really twangy and just doesn't feel what the guitar should be producing.
Last edited by Melaciour at Jan 31, 2014,
did you put new string on it in the last few days? if not, it's probably worth doing, as the guitar has probably been sitting in a warehouse. but keep in mind that new strings often have a twangy, metallic sound for a few days till they've settled in. btw, i've played guitars that sounded pretty poor, yet there were a bunch of great reviews.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
did you put new string on it in the last few days? if not, it's probably worth doing, as the guitar has probably been sitting in a warehouse. but keep in mind that new strings often have a twangy, metallic sound for a few days till they've settled in. btw, i've played guitars that sounded pretty poor, yet there were a bunch of great reviews.

No I just got it yesterday, and haven't put new strings on them yet. Should I get on that? And if so which strings would you recommend?
beside the fact that most guitars have been sitting with their strings aging, yamahas come with their own brand of strings, which sound pretty crappy to me. definitely try new strings - i'd suggest d'addario phosphor bronze lights to start with. and don't panic when you hear the new string sound - just keep playing and it will go away pretty soon.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
beside the fact that most guitars have been sitting with their strings aging, yamahas come with their own brand of strings, which sound pretty crappy to me. definitely try new strings - i'd suggest d'addario phosphor bronze lights to start with. and don't panic when you hear the new string sound - just keep playing and it will go away pretty soon.

/\ ^^^^ /\
that
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)