I think there was a thread quite some time ago on the same thing, but I can't find it.

"Sounding good enough" isn't a good attitude to have, especially if you're winging a lick that's faster than you can play. Practice it until you get it down. Don't rely on the distortion to cover up major mistakes that you don't want to fix.
Don't go for speed, go for accurate and clean playing. You can play how fast you want but if it sounds messy none will care.

Other than that, Guthrie Govan gave 3 tips that i agree fully on.

1. "Don't rely on tablature, use your ears". I agree with this, professional musicians don't learn by tabs, and neither should anyone else. Sure, i agree it's a great tool when starting out and when writing down your own ideas, but you want to get out of the habit of learning from tabs as fast as possible.

2. "Be aware of every note you play, if you can try to sing them or imagine them in your head to predict what sounds will come out of the amp that stops you just playing tricks and patterns". This one is very important. People rely on shapes and practiced vocabulary too much, you want the ability to adjust to the situation and play what is fitting to the song.

3. "Play with other people". Pretty self explanatory.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
1. Be a sponge. Keep learning as much as you can from other guitarists and different kinds of music. Keep learning from the process as you work on improving your playing.
2. Train yourself to measure your progress by how WELL you can play something, not how fast. Keep the speed in the background and just kind of nudge it up once in a while when you're playing something well, and with ease. It will come up by itself as your accuracy and control improves.
Quote by Sickz
"Be aware of every note you play, if you can try to sing them or imagine them in your head to predict what sounds will come out of the amp that stops you just playing tricks and patterns". This one is very important. People rely on shapes and practiced vocabulary too much, you want the ability to adjust to the situation and play what is fitting to the song.

Pretty much as an extension to this, my main piece of advice would be think more, about everything you do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Be detail-oriented - in fact get downright fussy about the little details. They matter.
For technique ? Be at ease, dont over think like how you place your fingers and shit do whats natural and it develops my friends.
Above all else record yourself playing & as 'tape never lies'~! Spent a lot of time as a recording engineer & seen dozens of "killer players" in their own mind, who very humbled when the playback button is hit & what they really sound like flops out of those studio monitors. Many ask for another take..OK..same result! A looper is probably the best guitar instructor second to none~!
always have a goal in mind. It is the key to staying with the guitar.

When I started learning, I decided I would learn to play all the awesome metallica riffs. When I did that, I decided to learn all the best megadeth riffs that I could. When I hit a barrier, I decided to learn all the theory I could. Then I got into my mind I would learn the Tornado of souls solo. all these goals spanned 2 years for me and kept me playing every single day of those 2 years(only handful of days I didnt).

set up goals that drive you to becoming a better guitarist, always pushing yourself. When you stop having a goal, you will stop caring about guitar.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Recommended threads
Impatient
Dethvone1
Last post: