What should I be learning? Any tips? My goal is to be able to learn chord progressions and how to make funky chords that sound good to songs I hear without having to look up tabs online, or to just jam out when I have nothing to do. So far I know the basic chords, the notes on the fretboard, and the minor pentatonic scale. I dont understand how chords work together or how some are formed any tips would be nice!
a song have so many variations of chords. you can try to make a song chord by hearing the song, you need to practice it cause it comes naturally, but chords from internet will be more accurate. and you need to learn more strumming patterns, watch more video on youtube
First of all. Don't rush yourself. You've got pleeeeeenty of time.
A bit of music theory is always good. Just keep that in mind.
When it comes to chord progressions, maybe just. Look at a song you like, see which chords are used, and try and mix them up? Perhaps you could, when you come up with a cool chord progression, write it down on a piece of paper, to remember it for now.
Say, if a song goes D-Am-G, maybe try and change the chords around to Am-G-D?
What goes for funky chords. Perhaps listen to some Lenny Kravitz and see the chords used. I find the progressions very funky indeed (especially when transferred onto acoustic). That's what I do.
And.. When it comes to jammin' don't worry about right or wrongs. Just play. Feel and enjoy it. In the end it's all music man. When I jam, I don't tend to think about it. I play, and play, and play. Play songs I know, but perhaps with a different strumming pattern, I try out loads of different chord shapes, try and come up with some licks in between chords. You could also go on Youtube, find a drum loop and just jam over that. Make up something cool'n'funky, and just rock out.

- Remember, this is just how I do it.
Last edited by Gingerlocks at Feb 1, 2014,
Go get some free lessons at www. justinguitar.com. Because its near impossible to answer questions when people have little understanding. Guitar is a lifetime study. I am still trying to find funky chords 40 years on. Cheers
Quote by tuxs
Go get some free lessons at www. justinguitar.com. Because its near impossible to answer questions when people have little understanding. Guitar is a lifetime study. I am still trying to find funky chords 40 years on. Cheers

i always come in too late to provide good information and help. only thing that i can add is ....... don't pick your nose while playing on a pogo stick !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by tuxs
...[ ]....I am still trying to find funky chords 40 years on. Cheers

That's exemplary Tux... ! I've been at it for longer than 40 years, and I gave up at 6 chords....