i'm using Epiphone DR-100 with a rosewood fretboard, but it's dry. making me difficult to bend . what should i do ? nothing ? lemon oil ? orange oil ? olive oil? WD-40? or what?
i suggest something made specifically to moisturize fretboards. some oils have too much acid or ingredients that can harm the finish of your guitar if a drip falls on the body.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I don't know...

I have read a lot on this today. Apparently a sparing amount of mineral oil will be fine.

Baby oil is light mineral oil with a little fragrance and would work fine. It would work a whole lot better than the options you listed.

Lemon oil is often advised.

Then there are purpose conditioners conditioners by Dunlop, or Gibson, or the like.

I've heard mixed things on ALL options.

However, do not use organic oils that will oxidize and go rancid/rot. Don't use WD-40 or any other compound with a whole lot of ingredients that you don't know.

Whatever you use...use it sparingly.
Si
if you do.. go very light. try Dunlops fingerboard cleaning/care kit. it's only 10 bucks.
i use a similar product about once a year on my fretboards.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I edited my post. I was researching this today and just read some more. I must say it is a very divided topic. Bore oil is common on woodwind instruments and the like. Bore oil is primarily mineral oil. But then some guy says natural oils were used for years and allow a more controlled moisture exchange while mineral oils create a more impervious barrier, but then natural oils (like lemon oil) require some antioxidant products to prevent them oxidizing or going rancid.

Fret Doctor has received good reviews. I would also trust anything from Gibson.

I use baby oil. Very rarely though. Less than once a year. Oil from my fingers is usually enough to keep the fretboard conditioned.
Si
i heard that sesame oil is also good , if its right , i got one on my kitchen. should i just apply it ?
In some 40 years of playing, I don't think I've ever put any oil on a fretboard.

The guy that does the Frets.com site recommends cleaning the fretboard with a little mineral oil and fine steel wool, but that's primarily for removing gunk.
Quote by CharlieAng
i heard that sesame oil is also good , if its right , i got one on my kitchen. should i just apply it ?

with fried Wontons of course ! hope you don't have a cat !
if you must use it... a couple of drops will cover the whole thing. i'd recommend waiting for something designed for it thoughii if you use any at all.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by CharlieAng

No absolutely not.

The hardwood of a fretboard must remain unfinished because any finish would be worn away. The other side of the fretboard is glued to the guitar neck and sealed. Thus one side of the wood is exposed to the elements and the other is sealed.

The untreated wood can lead to the wood drying out in dry arid conditions and then absorbing moisture in more humid conditions. Fluctuations in temperature on one side of the wood and not the other can lead to warping of the wood.

To protect the wood in your guitar you should try to control it's exposure to the elements as much as possible. Do not leave it in direct sunlight, do not take it out in the rain, do not leave it in a hot car, keep it in your guitar case when not in use, buy a humidifier to control humidity. Despite our best efforts there are very likely to be times when our guitars are exposed to less than ideal conditions.

In order to protect the untreated wood of the fingerboard it needs to be sealed. This can be achieved by applying a small amount of oil which will create a barrier sealing in the moisture to prevent the wood drying out while repelling external moisture to prevent it from absorbing too much moisture.

When the guitar is made the manufacturer conditions the wood. After this the oil from our fingers is usually enough to seal the wood. However with our fingers we also get dirt, dead skin cells and gunk building up across the fretboard. It is important to wash your hands before playing and to wipe down the fretboard and each string after each session.

Oil does dry out, and evaporate. Though it takes a very long time and a lot more conditions for this to happen which is why we use oil as a sealant. If you only ever play open chords in the first five frets of the guitar fretboard, or if you have not played your guitar in a long time the oils in the wood that act to help regulate the moisture levels will dry out and make the fretboard more susceptible to moisture damage. In such situations it may be good to apply a tiny amount of oil to condition your fretboard.

If you live in an extreme humid or arid climate you might also want to keep your guitar fretboard conditioned.

At most you would apply oil maybe once a year. A good time would be just before summer. The amount you use would be a just a drop or two for the entire fretboard.

The type of oil that you use is important.

You don't want heavy oils and you don't want oils that have additives like silicones or waxes. for this reason you do not want to use furniture polish which often has wax additives.

You also don't want to use olive oil, vegetable oil, sesame oil, or similar organic oils which can go rancid and end up rotting your wood.

The a light mineral oil is safe as it does not go rancid and achieves the desired outcome - sealing the moisture in while keeping excessive moisture out. Baby oil is simply a light mineral oil with fragrance and safe to use.

Bore oil is also used. Bore oil is a product used to oil the bore of woodwind instruments. Most bore oil is made primarily of mineral oils with fragrance and sometimes contains other ingredients. It's purpose is to protect the untreated wood in a woodwind instrument that are exposed to the high moisture levels in a person's breath as it is blown through the instrument.

Lemon oil and fretboard conditioners are also frequently advised. Some of these products are not actually lemon oil but mineral oil with added lemon fragrance (i.e. the same as baby oil but labelled differently and priced higher).

Some "conditioners" contain other ingredients that are not labelled and some contain ingredients that are not ideal (silicones etc).

Sometimes pure lemon oil is advised. Lemon oil is acidic though, and it also contains limonene and tirponine and other compounds that oxidize. In order to counter act the oxidization of the lemon oil antioxidants are added and often other ingredients as well.

The supposed benefit of real lemon oil is that the molecules have a smaller molecule chain which allows the oil to penetrate deeper into the wood. This means that when the oil is buffed off the surface it still has a deep layer of oil sealing the moisture in.

Keeping in mind that the point is to seal the moisture a light mineral oil penetrates deep enough to not leave an oily surface while also sealing moisture in. The slightly heavier chain means it does not dry out as fast. If you go too heavy in your oil then you end up with an oily surface that gets everywhere and bogs down your fretboard.

It is my opinion that many of the information out there in regard to oils and conditioners for fretboard care are a result of a company's desire to sell their product so skew the information to make their product sound like the safest or most ideal solution. Many of them simply use light mineral oils (because they are ideal) and add other ingredients so as to claim a proprietary formula which they then argue is "specially formulated to nourish and protect the fretboard" when the ingredient that does that is the mineral oil.

The conclusion from my research is that a light mineral oil is the ideal oil. It requires no other ingredients to make it effective and you know exactly what you're putting on your guitar. Further most fretboard conditioners use a light mineral oil (because it is so ideal) as the effective ingredient. Baby oil for my guitar. My daughter laughed because she knows how much I love my guitar. She said it really is my baby.

While I would trust Gibson (and some other companies) to sell me a product that is not going to harm my guitar, I wouldn't put it past them to try to rip me off.

Anyway this is just my two cents. I'm not a qualified expert on wood, chemistry, oil, etc. I'm just a guitar player that was interested in doing the right thing by his guitar and so spent an unreasonable amount of time researching this topic.
Si