Hi, I am new to this stuff so sorry if I seem kind of dumb. I have been playing guitar self taught for about 7 years now and recently decided to buy a new guitar because I've been playing the same one since I started and I have always loved the look and sound of a les paul. So earlier this month I bought a gibson lpj because I was able to order one for $500, however being in the small city I live in there is nowhere that sells gibson to go test them out. I love the look of the guitar I got and I like the feel although I'm not 100% sure about the 50's thicker knock yet. But my concern is I have a fair amount of fret buzz on especially on my A string even when I play fairly soft power chords. But it's more fret buzz then I expected even after having a set up done professionally. I a, thinking of returning it and going to the city to buy one of the new 2014 les paul studios where I can play a few before I buy one. But before I waste money and time on going there what kind of difference can I expect for the extra $500? They go for $999 right now. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your time to read and answer my questions.
Fret buzz is only really a problem when it comes through the amp. A bit of fret buzz is acceptable.
Quote by leighton22eI
thinking of returning it and going to the city to buy one of the new 2014 les paul studios where I can play a few before I buy one. But before I waste money and time on going there what kind of difference can I expect for the extra $500? They go for $999 right now. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your time to read and answer my questions.

You can get an LP Studio used for $500, but there is that obvious risk of buying a used guitar to find that it was sold in the first place because something was wrong with it.

But what you should expect is listed in the specs.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 1, 2014,
Any fret buzz is not acceptable
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Really? None at all, no qualifications? So a zero height setup shouldn't have any fret buzz?

Generally a little buzz can be acceptable if you have a low action and the buzz isn't audible through the amp. It is possible there is a high fret causing the buzz though, if they didn't do a full fret level during the setup. But fret leveling costs more money, so you have to decide if it's bad enough for you to want to do something about it.
Quote by Preacher403
Really? None at all, no qualifications? So a zero height setup shouldn't have any fret buzz?

Generally a little buzz can be acceptable if you have a low action and the buzz isn't audible through the amp. It is possible there is a high fret causing the buzz though, if they didn't do a full fret level during the setup. But fret leveling costs more money, so you have to decide if it's bad enough for you to want to do something about it.

Really

A properly made and set-up guitar should have no fret buzz at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Bad fretwork is common on low-end Gibson guitars. Either pay a tech to fix the frets or send it back and buy a nice Asian guitar. The fretwork on the Epi Les Paul standards is much better than the sloppy work they do on the low end Gibsons.
Quote by jpnyc
Bad fretwork is common on low-end Gibson guitars. Either pay a tech to fix the frets or send it back and buy a nice Asian guitar. The fretwork on the Epi Les Paul standards is much better than the sloppy work they do on the low end Gibsons.

I love it when people make such arbitrary generalizations, especially when they tell people to not judge a guitar on the headstock but to actually judge the guitar on an individual instrument basis(a very common argument coming from people preferring cheap brand A to expensive brand B), and then they turn around and say that a certain brand's fretwork sucks.

Gotta love hypocrites.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by pcrwalker
Any fret buzz is to much! take it back or to a proper tech

Quote by Robbgnarly

Quote by jpnyc

you three are all just wrong.

There's a fine line between acceptable fretbuzz and something that'll drive you batshit insane/ **** with your playing.

A little isn't going to hurt anything. I find a bit of buzz generally preferred compared to ****ing my guitar all to hell to try to fix something only an elitist would care about.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 1, 2014,
Quote by chookiecookie
you three are all just wrong.

There's a fine line between acceptable fretbuzz and something that'll drive you batshit insane/ **** with your playing.

A little isn't going to hurt anything. I find a bit of buzz generally preferred compared to ****ing my guitar all to hell to try to fix something only an elitist would care about.

Not really. none of my guitars have fret buzz from a $99 Dean EVO to a $1500 PRS. I took the time on the cheaper ones and level the frets properly and set up the neck bow. they all have very low action and no fret buzz. So again fret buzz is unacceptable
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not really. none of my guitars have fret buzz from a $99 Dean EVO to a $1500 PRS. I took the time on the cheaper ones and level the frets properly and set up the neck bow. they all have very low action and no fret buzz. So again fret buzz is unacceptable

It depends on how much it bothers you. Personally, I don't see fret buzz really mattering if you can't hear it through the amp whatsoever.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Robbgnarly

Ok.
ayy lmao
light fret buzz on an electric guitar that does not transmit thru the amp is generally Not considered an issue.

This may be why your tech returned the guitar to you with some buzz.
(it's either that, or that he doesn't know how to set up better)

Either way, always explain what you want to the tech, and always play the guitar through an amp prior to leaving.
It'll save you a trip back to the shop.

also, for the record, my guitars don't have any fret buzz.
I'm just trying to explain from my years and years of experience on this why most techs have no issue sending an electric home with acoustic buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Robbgnarly

Glad to hear you took the $100 extra option for your setups. So the real question for the OP is "Is $100 more for no fret buzz (probably) acceptable? Or are you willing to live with a little buzz that isn't noticeable through the amp?"
I don't mind a slight buzz when I play unplugged.

I would say it is unacceptable when the buzz affects your sustain. Especially on bends.

If your guitar though had perfectly level frets, a properly cut nut, the perfect neck relief, the right action set up... you should have no buzz even with a very low action. I only have 2 guitars that do this and it feels like they play themselves. It's wonderful but not a deal breaker.

BTW my Gibson has no fret buzz. I know a lot of them do though. Gibson's fretwork isn't always consistent. I had a Gibson Les Paul Custom and a Traditional Plus that needed fretwork done out of the box. My fault because I ordered these. Gibson's are a try before you buy kind of thing. Don't trust that Plek machine!
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 1, 2014,
I was always like that when getting a new guitar....I'd nitpick about fretbuzz cause it would drive me insane....but here's the thing....with a low action you will have fretbuzz....especially after weather changes and humidity drops/increases and the neck adjusts itself. If the buzz is audible through your amp...then you have issues.....I always test mine by plugging it in clean through an amp with a headphones-out option and do scales up and down the neck....usually it's an issue of making sure I have a little backbow to the neck and then correct my bridge height. Sometimes older guitars may need new saddles and or a nut do to wear if only one string keeps buzzing.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Preacher403
Glad to hear you took the $100 extra option for your setups. So the real question for the OP is "Is $100 more for no fret buzz (probably) acceptable? Or are you willing to live with a little buzz that isn't noticeable through the amp?"

No I do it myself You can get a radius block from Stew Mac for $10ish then it is all patience
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any Gibson giving off fret Buzz isn't worth the arm and leg you payed for it.
^^^

I've setup squiers for many people and 99% of them can be setup with no buzz with a low action. If your $2000+ guitar buzzes then its not a good guitar. Put it down and see if the next one beside it is better. What other guitar company sells guitars that much that needs 200 dollars of fret work out of the box?
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 3, 2014,
Cheap guitars can usually be made to play just as well as the expensive ones.

I'm the first to jump on the bandwagon that says that guitars like the Gibson LPJ are junkers, not made well, crappy finish, lousy pickups.

But even they can be slapped onto a PLEK and made to play right along with $6000 R9s. Playability is not in how much you pay for a guitar; it's in the quality of the fret level, the cut of the nut and the ability of the tech to set the guitar up.

I put an under-$200 B Stock Agile AL-2000 Floyd on Gary Brawer's PLEK in San Francisco, and the resulting setup (which ordinarily costs more than the guitar did) was (and remains) spectacular. I did the same with a $4K Gibson Axcess Custom and two more custom-built guitars, and all of these guitars play the same (and I like *low* action).
The amount of fret buzz you get depends on your playing style. It's impossible to play with a heavy hand with really low action and get no buzz. The strings just move too much and are going to hit the frets. There's no way around it. If you're one of those players that go from clean to distortion with picking dynamics, then you'll be playing much harder which could introduce some buzz that may or may not be audible through an amp. You could also play with a really light and consistent touch and get really low action. A lot of people seem to be caught up in having the lowest action possible. Low action isn't for everyone. Sometimes, you have to deal with a little fret buzz or raise your action. The perfect setup is solely based on what you want for your needs. Fret buzz is acceptable to some people just as high action is acceptable to others.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Really

A properly made and set-up guitar should have no fret buzz at all

Tell that to Dan Erlewine, he disagrees with you.
Moving on.....
Dan Erlewine builds guitars and repairs them.

If he set up my guitar with buzz I'd never go back.

It's like Smokey Yunick (Famous mechanic) telling Jimmy Johnson how to drive

Appreciate how you build em but don't tell me how to work it.

How many guitar gadgets has Dan sold you through his infomercials
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 4, 2014,
He's not telling you how to work it. He's not telling you how to play guitar. He's saying an optimal setup can have some fret buzz. You can agree or disagree with that based on experience or merits, but let's not pretend he's not qualified to talk about guitar setups. He's literally written the book on them.
Quote by Roc8995
He's not telling you how to work it. He's not telling you how to play guitar. He's saying an optimal setup can have some fret buzz. You can agree or disagree with that based on experience or merits, but let's not pretend he's not qualified to talk about guitar setups. He's literally written the book on them.

His book is a disorganized mess. I have it right in front of me. He has the field to himself so no competitors (yet!)

He's still pretty well respected, and the organization of his book has nothing to do with his ability to make a reasonably informed opinion about setups. Making fun of the guy and dismissing his opinion for no real reason doesn't seem very helpful.

There are also plenty of setup books out there.
Quote by Roc8995

He's still pretty well respected, and the organization of his book has nothing to do with his ability to make a reasonably informed opinion about setups. Making fun of the guy and dismissing his opinion for no real reason doesn't seem very helpful.

There are also plenty of setup books out there.

Roc don't concern yourself with defending Dan Erlewine from this newb! Probably some punk that's so full of himself that he isn't even aware how little he really knows. A legend in his own mind so to speak.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Tell that to Dan Erlewine, he disagrees with you.

That's nice, but I hold to my statement a properly made and set-up guitar should have no fret buzz. Like I said none of my guitars have fret buzz.

I will give you that when playing hard you may get some because of the string vibrations, but at normal picking there should be absolutely no fret buzz on a guitar. If there is then something is not correct with the guitar.

But if someone is happy with their guitar and it has some fret buzz, that is fine with me. But I will not have a guitar with it, and any guitars I do set-ups on leave with no fret buzz (when normally plucked) I never get a complaint about the action not being low enough either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 5, 2014,
Having no fret buzz (unless really vlose to the headstock [ie frets 1-2] or really close the the neck joint [ie frets 20,21,22 or 22-24]) is ideal, mainly for playing clean. Perhaps the frt buzz is being cause by your fingers or too thcik gauge strings? maybe bridge height? fiddle around with it and it could resolve itself. If its none of those, then you have a major problem and should probably have it fixed.
People should know that the difference between "Fret buzz" and "Pick too hard to slap the strings on the frets".

Even if an optimal setup is done, fret buzz still appears. And that is NOT okay because there is no "acoustic buzz". Every fret buzz will go through the amp, you just sometime cannot hear it.
Do you feel like I do!?
Quote by EddieHet
People should know that the difference between "Fret buzz" and "Pick too hard to slap the strings on the frets".

Even if an optimal setup is done, fret buzz still appears. And that is NOT okay because there is no "acoustic buzz". Every fret buzz will go through the amp, you just sometime cannot hear it.

trying to understand. so what you're saying is??

fret buzz appears through the amp, even though you can't hear it, and there is no acoustic buzz.
But it's there and that's NOT ok.
Also there are two different kinds of buzz.
Fret buzz and the buzz caused by strings slapping frets, and one of those is acceptable.

imo, for obvious reasons, buzz that is not heard through the amp is generally not considered an issue on an Electric guitars.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I did not read all the posts, but I have been dealing with "acceptable" fret buzz for a while on one guitar. I switched from 9’s to 10’s on an ESP/LTD Mh400 with a Floyd. I moved the height to factory specs and this lowered the fret buzz. Then adjusted the neck and it helped, but it was still there. I put a set of Skinny Top Heavy Bottom and tuned down a whole step and adjusted it (what I wanted for that guitar at the time). I thought maybe a fret was high.

I recently adjusted it up to (flat tuning) half step down with the same Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings and all fret buzz disappeared. With the Floyd rose it is a little time consuming. I do not see much of a difference in neck bow (too small to see I guess), but wow plays amazing without any rattle/buzz.

A little buzz should not cut into your playing time. If it is not heard through the amp then play. If you crank the action way down or pick hard you will probably have some. Also frets also can be a problem.

I would say get it checked or if it cost too much just play and don’t worry about it.
Good luck!

EDIT - my Gibson Les Paul Studio with 10's on it has none with normal playing.
Last edited by Chevywizz at Feb 7, 2014,
^if it's unwanted and transmits through the amp then it's not "acceptable".
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Any fret buzz is unacceptable. I've owned 4 Gibsons and the only one with any fret buzz issues was a studio before they started using the plek machine.