Okay so I found a Marhsall Valvestate 8100 100V head and a couple of Marshall MHZ112A/B cabinets. Now I'm not that smart when it comes this sort of stuff so I was wondering if they would work together.
Well, the Marshall Valvestate 8100 head's outputs are 100 watts at 4 Ohms, while those Marshall MHZ112A cabs handle 66 watts at 16 Ohms.

On the impedance side (Ohms), using those two cabs simultaneously is safe, since the total impedance isn't lower than 4 Ohms.

I'm not so sure if on the power side (watts) is safe.
I don't know if the head's 100 watts are divided, meaning that each cab will receive 50 watts, which would be safe, or not (meaning that each cab will receive the full 100 watts, which is not safe since they're rated at only 66 watts).

With this data, someone else will help you on that question.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
^^
Those 2 cabs will give an 8Ohm load. If the amp puts out 100 watts at 4 ohms, it will put out less at 8ohms.

Yes TS you can use them with the amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Those 2 cabs will give an 8Ohm load. If the amp puts out 100 watts at 4 ohms, it will put out less at 8ohms.

Sorry to hijack the thread, TS but...

Robb, can you please teach me how that works? What's the rule of thumb to do the correlation between impedance and power?
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I don't know the technical reason, but my understanding is the higher the resistance the lower the power output on a SS amp. so with a 16 ohm load the amp will not put out the ratted 100 watts, it will only do that when there is a 4ohm load.

Now it is different with tube amps.

when adding a 16 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab you get 8 ohms (so instead of actually adding you divide by 2)
8ohm+8hom =4 ohm
4ohm+4ohm=2 ohm
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 1, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I don't know the technical reason, but my understanding is the higher the resistance the lower the power output on a SS amp. so with a 16 ohm load the amp will not put out the ratted 100 watts, it will only do that when there is a 4ohm load.

Now it is different with tube amps.

when adding a 16 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab you get 8 ohms (so instead of actually adding you divide by 2)
8ohm+8hom =4 ohm
4ohm+4ohm=2 ohm

Yes, i know the impedance calculations.

What i'd like to know is the first part, that you don't know the technical reason -- how many watts are "wasted" for each Ohm above the amp's rated output, if it's a linear or progressive correlation...
I also know that it's different with tube amps, but i don't know why.

Interesting stuff, i'm going to study it when i have some free time.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112