Hi there,
The £100m question it seems!

I have a rack ironheart which needs some effects. I am thinking of getting the following but don't know what yet. Number one is sorta necessary as my amp sounds so raw atm, needs to sound more like "my" tone in my head.

1). TS808 --> GE-7 --> NS2 (fx looped) (not really fx but are necessary)

For FX: the above combined

2). with a reverb and delay pedal from boss
3). or a Gmajor 2, also rack

I want it really to be all rack just to save space in a university room or bedroom. But money is the issue, whilst I want to save for the Gmajor I do really need an NS2 for a loud amp, plus a TS808 would be necessary to colour my tone, whereas I also need FX.

Also toying with the idea of just using guitar rig 5 with a midi footcontroller?

My question is, how can I make the most of this with limited funds / trying to make my effects mainly rack-orientated for simplicity?

Thanks!
Quote by AngryIndianDude

I have a rack ironheart which needs some effects. I am thinking of getting the following but don't know what yet. Number one is sorta necessary as my amp sounds so raw atm, needs to sound more like "my" tone in my head.

I must ask this question: Do you like the sound of the Ironheart? And what are you playing it through? Because if you don't like the raw signal from the amp, I daresay that no amount of effects on top of it will make you like it any better,

Quote by AngryIndianDude

1). TS808 --> GE-7 --> NS2 (fx looped) (not really fx but are necessary)

Isn't the Ironheart rack only 15watts? Like 15watts is loud, but I can't imagine it needing a noise gate. I don't need a noise gate for my 50watt head! As far as the GE7 and the NS2 go, they're really just tone suckers and not high on my recommendation list of boss' range. An eq in the fx loop is always a good idea. The mxr 10 band pedal is pretty much to go-to one. Unless you also want a rack eq - then I don't know

Quote by AngryIndianDude

2). with a reverb and delay pedal from boss
3). or a Gmajor 2, also rack

I want it really to be all rack just to save space in a university room or bedroom. But money is the issue, whilst I want to save for the Gmajor I do really need an NS2 for a loud amp, plus a TS808 would be necessary to colour my tone, whereas I also need FX.

Also toying with the idea of just using guitar rig 5 with a midi footcontroller?

My question is, how can I make the most of this with limited funds / trying to make my effects mainly rack-orientated for simplicity?

Thanks!

Exactly what effect do you want? Because the gmajor does a lot, but I'll take a gamble to say that compared to some other racks (life avid's eleven rack) it doesn't do as much. If you're happy with reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and wah (I think that's the bulk of the system's capabilities), then the gmajor is for you - so save up! I'm just lurking on Musician's Friend, and for what you pay for one of boss' delay and reverbs, you can nearly afford the gmajor anyway.

And for any tube amp, an overdrive is always a goodie to push and tighten to sound. There have been like ten million variations of the ts since - and some of ibanez's are expensive for what you get. On a budget, Digitech's Bad Monkey is great. But I believe that Electro Harmonix's Soul Food is brilliant for the price it's selling at right now. I'm yet to try it out myself though.

actually, have you checked out the tc's nova floor system? may be a do-all for you. just a thought.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

Exactly what effect do you want? Because the gmajor does a lot, but I'll take a gamble to say that compared to some other racks (life avid's eleven rack) it doesn't do as much. If you're happy with reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and wah (I think that's the bulk of the system's capabilities), then the gmajor is for you - so save up!

The Eleven rack is much more for amp modelling and a recording interface for pro tools than effects. It has a fair amount, but it's not extensive. I adore mine, but I couldn't recommend it JUST for effects.
Quote by theaterinterior
The Eleven rack is much more for amp modelling and a recording interface for pro tools than effects. It has a fair amount, but it's not extensive. I adore mine, but I couldn't recommend it JUST for effects.

Yeah I know. Was the first thing that popped into my head really
The Gmajor2 is the better option for you. It has all you need besides drive. Dont get the nova system, its not as good as the Gmajor for live use or features.
Another option is the GSP1101 w/Control2, that will cover the drive sounds as well. It has an fx loop so you can split the fx between the front end & loop of the IRT.
In my personal opinion, I would recommend buying an overdrive (ts9, ts808, maxon, etc, whatever you want really) and then save for a rack multi-effects. If the rack multieffects can handle your EQ and noise suppression needs, there is no need to buy those pedals seperately.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
I must ask this question: Do you like the sound of the Ironheart? And what are you playing it through? Because if you don't like the raw signal from the amp, I daresay that no amount of effects on top of it will make you like it any better,

Isn't the Ironheart rack only 15watts? Like 15watts is loud, but I can't imagine it needing a noise gate. I don't need a noise gate for my 50watt head! As far as the GE7 and the NS2 go, they're really just tone suckers and not high on my recommendation list of boss' range. An eq in the fx loop is always a good idea. The mxr 10 band pedal is pretty much to go-to one. Unless you also want a rack eq - then I don't know

Exactly what effect do you want? Because the gmajor does a lot, but I'll take a gamble to say that compared to some other racks (life avid's eleven rack) it doesn't do as much. If you're happy with reverb, delay, chorus, flanger and wah (I think that's the bulk of the system's capabilities), then the gmajor is for you - so save up! I'm just lurking on Musician's Friend, and for what you pay for one of boss' delay and reverbs, you can nearly afford the gmajor anyway.

And for any tube amp, an overdrive is always a goodie to push and tighten to sound. There have been like ten million variations of the ts since - and some of ibanez's are expensive for what you get. On a budget, Digitech's Bad Monkey is great. But I believe that Electro Harmonix's Soul Food is brilliant for the price it's selling at right now. I'm yet to try it out myself though.

actually, have you checked out the tc's nova floor system? may be a do-all for you. just a thought.

Hi bud,
wow what a response, thanks, I adore souls like you

I wanted to point out I appreciate what you say about the NS2 being a tonesuck but with progressive metal/downpicky stuff and also for mad shred I really want it to sound much tighter than it does at the minute, so this would help me bigtime.

But you're right, what's more important is the EQ. I like the tone of my ironheart but it sounds fizzy really, the highend is poor IMO. No chance of swapping out amps and I do love the rhythm so it's going to be all about this EQ.

I'd LOVE an EQ rack but the only ones I can find on the cheap size (like £100 ish) that are graphic are behringer ones (no thanks, basically)! So MXR or Boss EQ will have to do for me. But to get something up to 20k frequency would be a dream that I'd revel in.

I like the Gmajors reverbs and delays, don't really care about phaser/chorus etc, just want those two. I like it because it's a). footcontrollable and b). its rack mounted which is sort-of a must. Plus it has a gate in it which'd be really suited to my needs.

Long story short I want a tubescreamer which I'll defo be getting, I'll forget a noise suppressor for now but I'm begging for a graphic EQ system and a TS.

Cheers!
Found this for a graphic EQ rack, looking for something budget, at £70 and 2 inputs/outputs I could use one for front end and fx loop?

Or do I get that TS9/808 first... hmmm :<
Quote by AngryIndianDude

But you're right, what's more important is the EQ. I like the tone of my ironheart but it sounds fizzy really, the highend is poor IMO. No chance of swapping out amps and I do love the rhythm so it's going to be all about this EQ.

Hmmm, is the ironheart still stock? may just be that the stock tubes are a bit average. ironhearts struck me as being a number of things...and fizzy and weak was not it!

Quote by AngryIndianDude

I like the Gmajors reverbs and delays, don't really care about phaser/chorus etc, just want those two. I like it because it's a). footcontrollable and b). its rack mounted which is sort-of a must. Plus it has a gate in it which'd be really suited to my needs.

Long story short I want a tubescreamer which I'll defo be getting, I'll forget a noise suppressor for now but I'm begging for a graphic EQ system and a TS.

Cheers!

If that's the case, I'd go with what Mr. Burn said above. The overdrive is probably the most important thing for now. That will help with some tightness, push and a small amount of eq too. If you're looking at ibanez, bear in mind that they most often only have 1 tone knob which is often seen as a disadvantage. More modern designs most often have treble and bass from what I've seen which is a bit of a step up. But it's what your ears like, really! After the od I'd go with the rack effects and if it does all the gating, eq-ing what whatnot you like - fantastic! if not, the extra eq can be a supplementary thing for later.
Hopefully some people will chip in here who are more versed in racks that I. That sounds terrible

I get the vibe that you want this setup now. And I don't blame you, it sound pretty cool. I think all of us are like that sometimes. However, I think it's important to practice self-control and see some things as long-tern goals because budget can often be tight and it's easy to get a whole bunch of sub-par stuff now to have it being average later. Not accusing you of anything...just putting it out there you know
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Hmmm, is the ironheart still stock? may just be that the stock tubes are a bit average. ironhearts struck me as being a number of things...and fizzy and weak was not it!

If that's the case, I'd go with what Mr. Burn said above. The overdrive is probably the most important thing for now. That will help with some tightness, push and a small amount of eq too. If you're looking at ibanez, bear in mind that they most often only have 1 tone knob which is often seen as a disadvantage. More modern designs most often have treble and bass from what I've seen which is a bit of a step up. But it's what your ears like, really! After the od I'd go with the rack effects and if it does all the gating, eq-ing what whatnot you like - fantastic! if not, the extra eq can be a supplementary thing for later.
Hopefully some people will chip in here who are more versed in racks that I. That sounds terrible

I get the vibe that you want this setup now. And I don't blame you, it sound pretty cool. I think all of us are like that sometimes. However, I think it's important to practice self-control and see some things as long-tern goals because budget can often be tight and it's easy to get a whole bunch of sub-par stuff now to have it being average later. Not accusing you of anything...just putting it out there you know

Thing is with that EQ rack I can really sculpt my tone, goes all the way up to 20k and for "djent" the 1.6khz is the magic number, then again if I got a TS after I'd need to really rework the EQ so might as well get the TS first!

Just sucks being so young so you can't work and can't afford jack. murrrghhhh. :/
Quote by Tremolo Bum
In my personal opinion, I would recommend buying an overdrive (ts9, ts808, maxon, etc, whatever you want really) and then save for a rack multi-effects. If the rack multieffects can handle your EQ and noise suppression needs, there is no need to buy those pedals seperately.

The rack would handle suppression but wouldn't be adequate enough for EQ for my needs, I'd prefer a rack EQ with a ton of options, and mainly I need to boost 1.6khz and reduce the high end ones (like 15khz+) so t that rack EQ i linked in that earlier post would do so well for me! If only the Gmajor 2 had a customisable EQ :>