I have decided to get a multi effect pedal not sure which one but something like the zoom g5 , Now i have other pedals like a rat which runs in the front of my Tube amp and a loop pedal that runs in the FX loop , now I don't know much about multi effects pedals but would you run it in the FX loop or the front of a Tube amp ? Also would you turn all the effect off on the amp ?
I think having affects before or after the amp's preamp is a matter of taste. You can start a war on here with such questions . Things being equal (which they're not), you might want to add noisy things after the preamp so the noise isn't amplified (eg, chorus, flange, phaser, reverb). You might want a noise gate and booster (eg, overdrive pedal) up front. But if you're on a budget, you can probably make compromises and stack your affects in either place.

I've used both techniques. If your multi-pedal has a better preamp than the amp you're using, you can always avoid the hassle and let your fancy pedal do all the work and bypass the one in the amp - just run through your pedal direct to the FX-In. But if you have a pretty expensive tube amp, you probably don't want to skip your preamp.
yer i would normally have distortion in the front of the amp and chorus, flange, phaser, reverb in the FX loop , With multi fx pedals i am not sure if you can send them to different ones i think you have to pick front or FX loop which is the only down sided i can see guess i will have to just test it .
I have the G3 & use it in my amp's loop - its an excellent pedal...but I only use it for modulation & delay, I have specific drive pedals that I have in my chain before my amp. (See sig).

Check the manual for the G5 (it should be available online) to see if it can run the 4-cable method. That would allow you to add drive effects before your amp & modulation in the loop to get the best setup possible.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
No 4CM on the G5. You can run it in the amp loop if you don't plan on using up front FX (like OD). Another option is to just run the G5 into the amp's FX return and only use the power section of the amp. Then all of the G5 features are available.
I think i will run it in the FX loop can i just confirm this if i am running it in the amps FX loop do i plug the guitar in the input on the zoom g5 or do i plug my guitar in the front of the amp .
If you're running the G5 in the loop, you'd usually plug your guitar into the amp. You'll then get all the amp's tone with any effects you use added on afterwards.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If you're running the G5 in the loop, you'd usually plug your guitar into the amp. You'll then get all the amp's tone with any effects you use added on afterwards.

Hi could you confirm if the zoom g5 comes with a power plug or which one i would need to get ?
My Zoom G3 came with one, so I'd assume you'd get one. If you're purchasing off the internet (especially used), check the listing to see if it's included.

If it isn't included, it's the standard power cable that's used by the majority of effect pedals so you can get one pretty cheaply.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud