At the moment I have a JCM800 2203 100w head running through a 1960 cab. I only use it for home use. Complete overkill, I know, but I go a good price on the head.

Anyway, the problem I have is: it's too damn loud! Shocker, right?

I've been considering buying a new amp. Have my eye on a Marshall SL5. I'm playing a Gibson les paul with pro alnico II's... guess what sound I love? :P Obviously the player has the most influence on sound but I'm cutting out as many variables.

So, instead of spending 700 euro, I'm thinking it might be a better idea to just buy an attenuator for my half stack.
So I have a couple of questions:

1. Keep hearing attenuators damage amps. Is that only the case if you've got the head on 10 at all times?

2. Obviously it's a very personal preference but what are the best brands to look at?

3. Will the amp be too loud for home use even with an attenuator? Would I be better buying something like a 5w tube amp?

Sorry for the long thread but I'd love to hear people's opinions on this. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
I myself have considered an attenuator for my plexi, but it just seems that the main reason that it sounds great is because its extremely loud, more so than the actual voicing of the amp. Hence the reason I own a 'bedroom amp' for when others are home. (The Plexi still gets plenty of bedroom use when the neighbours start breaking my balls.

I'd say get the SL5, or something similar, rather than retubing your JCM every few months.
Pull two of the power tubes so the amp runs at 50 watts. Get a decent 1x12 cab. It will still get loud as hell, but it should be very manageable.

The Harley Benton G112 vintage cab is only €95 .

Another thing you should get is an OD pedal to boost your signal. This will allow you to get a cranked amp sound at lower volumes. Slash used an Ibanez TS808 and TS9, these are nice but the Digitech Bad Monkey is just as good and 1/2 the price.

To use it as a boost: volume max, gain off, tone to taste

Problem solved with €150ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 1, 2014,
^^^this. Just make sure the speaker can handle at least 50W.

Just wondering Robbgnarly, is pulling tubes as simple as pulling the correct two out or does rebiasing etc need to occur?
Quote by 7thString
^^^this. Just make sure the speaker can handle at least 50W.

Just wondering Robbgnarly, is pulling tubes as simple as pulling the correct two out or does rebiasing etc need to occur?

no rebiasing required, but you do have to set the ohms differently.

If you have a 16 ohm cab you set the amp to 8 ohms, if it is 8 ohms set the amp to 4 ohms. the 16 ohm output is not used at all during this and you also loose the ability to run a 4 ohm load. That shouldn't matter, but be aware of these things.

I'm not sure how the power tubes are layed out in the JCM800, in my JCM2000 they are in pairs side by side not the typical 2 inner and 2 outer pairs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just plug my eq pedal in the fx loop with the db down all the way.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
I just plug my eq pedal in the fx loop with the db down all the way.

He has a JCM800 2203 it has no FX loop unless it is a re-issue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy this if you can, best one on the market, I have one and I love the thing to death, even though it costs more than my amp. But the features it has and the fact that it's hand wired and made with the best parts out there makes it worth it.

http://www.aracom-amps.com/products/prx150-dag.html