Hi all,

Its my 18th Birthday coming up and my parents have agreed to let me get a custom guitar. I am based in the UK so preferably I would be looking to buy from somewhere over here, however I am open to other suggestions if they ship. The main reason I want to get a custom guitar is because I've been playing for 9 years now and I know pretty much what I want, and being a lefty, the more expensive you go, the less guitars you can get and the less choice you have.

The provisional design i have is:

Tele shape guitar in a dark wood
Relatively lightweight
Bigsby tremolo
Kill switch button
There needs to be the classic tele 'twang' - though preferably through a coil split humbucker

So i have a few questions for you experienced guitar buyers/sellers/makers/players.

1) What electric guitar builders/luthiers do you recommend? Ive contacted The Creamery which i really liked the look of, but apparently he's just about to launch a guitar range so is taking a break from customs and so any ideas will be much appreciated

2) Is there anything that you recommend changing or doing to the brief i outlined above given your experience?

3) For the pickups, if split coil is a bad option would the bridge or the neck be best to have a humbucker?

Many thanks,

James
What is your budget? Custom guitars get expensive really quick.

You could order a custom neck and body from www.warmoth.com and put the hardware on it you want. You can have a good guitar tech assemble it and set it up so it plays right.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
there are a bunch. bear in mind I haven't tried all of these, nor is this an exhaustive list.

off the top of my head, there's legra, feline, stormshadow, jaden rose. there are a bunch of others too.

i think there's a forum of UK luthiers too, maybe. don't quote me on that, though.

or you could try asking on one of the more UK-centric forums like the fretboard. I think they have a subforum there for luthiers (or something like that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Stevens UK is probably the guy to talk to- he seems to specialize in custom Teles.

http://www.stevenscustomguitars.co.uk/index.html

While I do like a good coil-split HB, another option would be to go with a P90 or HB-sized P90.

And, of course, there's nothing wrong with mixing & matching. I have a custom of my own in the works, which will feature a Creamery Dirty Shirt HB in the bridge (with splitting) and a Creamery Hum-90 HB-sized P90 in the neck.

Since you're in the UK, I'd also take a look at the options from Bareknuckle.

I'm also a fan of the RailHammer pickups, especially if you plan on any low alternative tunings.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!