My brother is learning to play on my 15-20 year old strat. I have no idea what strings are on it because the last time they were changed is probably 15 years ago. He loves today's country music so that's what he wants to learn. Simply rhythm guitar now and for the foreseeable future.

Any suggestions on strings? He's only been practicing since Christmas but does play at least 20 minutes a day a few times a week.

Did they make these squiers 20 years ago?
I though they were pretty recent!

Anyway, twangy strings.
Sloppy, exaggeratedly thin, however you wanna say that.
Plus, roll down the tone a little and use the bridge pickup-
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

Anyway, twangy strings.

I probably got it about 1998. I bought it used too so you have to say it's at least 15-16 years old.
I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys (yellow pack) or D'Addario . Pretty much any nickel wound strings that are 10-46 will be fine.

If he wants to keep string changes down to a minimum look into a brand called Cleartone they will last much longer than regular strings. If he does not have a tuner the Snark clip on tuners are awesome and easy to use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2

Anyway, twangy strings.

I think Squier started the line back in the mid 1980's, and those are the ones you want, built pretty close to how an MIA Fender was from what I hear.

Modern country is just heavy rock with some slide guitar over it, not much country going on.

As far as strings, just your standard nickle round wound strings will do. The (real) country tone has more to do with how you play, not so much with your tone, cause I can't play country to save my life, just can't make myself play that way.