My electric solid body is already nicely painted, but unfortunately as I was widening the switch-control route my file slipped and hit the face of the guitar and put a nasty scratch into the clear-coat. It's not a long scratch, but I'd like to see if it can be repaired for not too much money.

Do you know of any good and trustworthy guitar paint shops and painters in the area somewhere around or between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara in SOCAL?
What guitar?
you would be surprised at what some one would charge to fix a little scratch. have you tried some rubbing compound and a high speed buffer?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If that's the case then I guess I'd better start gathering some good "How-To's" on the subject! lol

But yeah, it a very nicely painted custom guitar I built and had painted a long time ago, so I'd really like it done as perfectly as reasonably possible.
Take all the hardware off and take it to an auto/motorcycle-paint shop and have them do it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That makes good sense Rob. Your right, I should probably be looking at other paint shop options, and they probably be a lot cheaper than a dedicated guitar painter.
If it didn't go all the way through, can't you just buff out the scratch on the clear coat?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
If it didn't go all the way through, can't you just buff out the scratch on the clear coat?

It's pretty deep, but it doesn't look like it made to the paint itself, which is translucent btw.

So how would one go about buffing it properly?
I don't know the extent of your scratch but you can try something like this before you try and repaint. It could take several applications of the product. If it's really bad you may have to wetsand it. Plus you will end up using this one time or another over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn66h4fOLEg

http://www.amazon.com/Players-Guitar-Scratch-Remover-Eternashine/dp/B008NRF8R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391306481&sr=8-1&keywords=guitar+scratch+remover
[..BLACKFIRE..]
If you do decide to go for a full refinish, try Marty Bell.

http://martybellfinishing.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Pat Wilkins is in Van Nuys!
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Thanks guys, I'll be looking into everything you've suggested. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a complete repaint, just a small, but deep scratch in the clear-coat, that's all.